Change background image

2010-11 Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Schnellders, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Matty

Matty Till we have built Jerusalem...

He will always be top 3 best players of all time. One of only 3 players to win the balon d'or 3 times. Consistently achieving 50 goal seasons, and the first player to score 5 in a Champions League game.

C. Ronaldo doesn't seem to have this 'Win a world cup' mentality on his shoulders. The only reason Messi does is because Maradona won a world cup near on single handedly.
  2. nico1270

nico1270 Grasshopper

And Maradona also finished second 4 years later playing in a team much worse than the 86 national team. Having an ankle injury.
    [​IMG]

But still. Different eras. Messi definitely is the best right now.
  3. nico1270

nico1270 Grasshopper

Messi scored only 2 goals today.

Last games

February
    14th: Bayer Leverkusen 1 - Barcelona 3. Messi scored 1 goal.
    19th: Barcelona 5 - Valencia 1. Messi scored 4 goals.
    26th: Atlético Madrid 1 - Barcelona 2. Messi scored 1 goal.
    29th: Switzerland 1 - Argentina 3. Messi scored 3 goals.

March
    3rd: Barcelona 3 - Sporting Gijón 1. Messi did not play.
    7th: Barcelona 7 - Bayer Leverkusen 1. Messi scored 5 goals.
    11th: Racing Santander 0 - Barcelona 2. Messi scored 2 goals.
  4. catchoftheday

catchoftheday top of the world

Still needs to win that world cup so he can get out of Maradona's shadow (Who is still the GOAT)
  5. Schnellders

Schnellders The Sinister Scotsman

Talking of impressive goal scoring records, Mario Gomez has just notched a hattrick for Bayern in the CL, meaning he has 71 in his last 72 games
  6. Mephisto

Mephisto Hammerhead

Thats because Ronaldo plays for Portugal. Its simlar to how no one holds it against Johan Cruyff for not winning a world cup, but if he had then he might be mentioned more in the debate for the best all time.
  7. Schnellders

Just noticed we are discussing the 2011/12 season in the 2010/11 thread......
  8. catchoftheday

catchoftheday top of the world

Make it 72 in 72 games ... he finished with 4
  9. Schnellders

Some Chicago based group have launched a bid to buy Rangers
  10. ArtisticHate

ArtisticHate Libraries gave us power...

Liverpool won 2-1 in the FA Cup Semi Final and the Marlins were 4-1 up going into the 9th inning. I was so hopeful of my first double victory day this season!

Then Bell did his thing and... all it all got fracked up. 0-2 so far this season with Liverpool/Marlins on the same day. Last time was last Saturday, Liverpool drew with Villa and Marlins beat Reds.

Next chance is April 22nd - Liverpool home to West Brom and Marlins at Nationals. I'm hopeful.
  11. Schnellders

Another 2 for Messi last night: 63 goals in 52 games now :eek:
  12. ArtisticHate

See the 3rd Suarez goal against Norwich? Not too shabby.
  13. Schnellders

All 3 of his goals were good
  14. Schnellders

Think today had to be one of the most exciting days of football I've ever experienced. Man City scored twice in injury time to beat QPR 3-2 and pip arch rivals Man Utd to the league championship on goal difference.
  15. ArtisticHate

It was a good finish to the season, but hopefully these UEFA financial fair play rules make an impact on the league.

Man City have come from nowhere to win the title due to outrageous spending just like Chelsea did 10 years. Then you have the other side where teams come up from the Championship and spend bigger to make sure they don't go back down.

The thing I love about Baseball is that teams like the Rays and Nationals have a chance to win. Part of that is down to the way the draft works, but the Yankees have been trying to buy a title for the last 10 years and they've won.... one. That was the only time they made the World Series since 2003 too.

I'd like to see more of an even playing field in the EPL too.
  16. Schnellders

Chelsea won the Champions League on penalties against Bayern Munich :(
  17. ArtisticHate

A funny quote I read:

Winning the Champions League used to be priceless. Now it's fair to estimate that it costs about £1billion.
    1 person likes this.
  18. nico1270

nico1270 Grasshopper

It's unfair. The team who spends the most, eventually will win it.
  19. ArtisticHate

The vicious cycle of the Champions League is that the money it generates for teams just puts those teams further ahead. The Champions League is THAT big of a deal.
  20. Dr Beinfest

Dr Beinfest Larry's Little Helper

Hey Schnell...

Team USA stuck our hot dog in your haggis.