Change background image

2012-2013 Florida Panthers/NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Dr Beinfest, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Cohen" didn't do any of that. Jacques Martin did. He spoiled players. Olesz didn't deserve that contract. Weiss' contract was probably the only one that went down as a good contract overall. A team's spending isn't written in the books by how much money they gave one player, it's by how much money they spend overall. In that sense, Cohen and Viner are pretty damn similar.

It really doesnt matter now. I just want a f***ing owner who can spend to the cap. Its like yeah we have cap space but were not going to use it. How exciting.
  2. Dr Beinfest

Dr Beinfest Larry's Little Helper

Well the way I see it is...

If you spend to the cap you need to have a fanbase that's pumping in enough money or else it's a losing business.

In order to have enough money to pump in from the fanbase, you need a winning team.

In order to get a winning team, you need to pay out some money sometimes.

So it's a nasty cycle that keeps repeating itself. There's two solutions: 1) take a loss on a season and maybe get a winning team or 2) build a team internally.

Solution 1 calls for high risk and uncertainty of profit. Solution 2 calls for low risk and probable minimal profits/losses until then.
  3. Dr Beinfest

So... doesn't matter if the owner is rich or not, we live in a bandwagon town and until we can start a winning team up here, it wont matter. Unless you can find an owner that doesn't give a s*** if he's losing money. And those do exist, but they're a rare case.
  4. If you own an NHL team it should be the case that you can spend to the cap. The NHL needs to do something about it. Maybe raise the cap floor because there is too wide of a gap.

I mean 64.3 million is not that crazy of a number when talking about one of the 4 major sports leagues.

A 48-50 million dollar payroll could rank last in baseball. Yes, baseball is probably more popular but I have a hard time accepting that an owner will have his GM perform a regular buyout to keep some money on the cap to make sure you are above the floor.

Wasnt payroll at like 60 million last year?
  5. Dr Beinfest

Thanks to the new CBA, the cap floor is going up. And way up.

And Tallon knows it. In two years, we will be spending lots and lots of money.

And no, our payroll definitely wasn't at 60 million. Probably 52ish. We are consistently around 2/3rds in the league in payroll (and generally so is our attendance, to no surprise).

I read something about certain bonuses being paid out by the league? Not sure about that, but if so, a lot of the time even though our payroll may be up at something like 52 a lot of it comes from unachievable bonuses or bonuses that generally aren't met for younger players.
  6. The floor went down 4.3 million this year. What is is projected to be at in the future?
  7. Dr Beinfest

8. Mr. Man

Mr. Man Hammerhead

9. Aleksander Barkov and his deal with the Panthers should be announced shortly.
  10. Mr. Man

Mr. Man Hammerhead

The Florida Panthers sign centermen Aleksander Barkov to an Entry Level Contract. :wee

Florida Panthers Executive VP & General Manager Dale Tallon announced today that the club has agreed to an entry-level contract with F Aleksander Barkov (@barkovsasha95).
    “We are pleased to have signed Aleksander,” said Tallon. “He is a mature, strong and skilled forward who plays well at both ends of the ice and strengthens our line-up down the middle. Aleksander is a creative and dynamic player who our fans will enjoy watching. We look forward to his contributions to our organization both on and off the ice.”
    Barkov, 17, recorded 48 points (21-27-48) in 53 games with Tappara (Finnish Elite League) during the 2012-13 season, finishing second on his team in goals and points. He earned the No.1 ranking among European Skaters according to Central Scouting entering the 2013 National Hockey League Draft.
    “I am very excited about signing my first NHL contract with Florida,” said Barkov. “I enjoyed meeting with the Panthers coaches, my future teammates and our fans at development camp last week. I will continue to train hard and look forward to competing for a spot on the team when training camp opens in September.”
    The 6-foot-2, 205-pound center has represented Finland at each of the last two World Junior Championships. He recorded seven points (3-4-7) in six games during the 2012-13 tournament in Ufa, Russia. In 2011-12, Barkov became the youngest Finnish player ever to be selected to play in the World Junior Championships. During that same tournament, Barkov became the second youngest player to ever score a goal in the WJC competition at the age of 16, finishing with four points (1-3-4) in six games.
  11. gizmo

gizmo RALLY, BITCH

Markstrom also signed a 2 year contract today as well.
  12. Dr Beinfest

Which is, arguably, the bigger news lol.

Barkov is entirely expected to take the standard #2 ELC.

Markstrom is not expected to take the really qualifying offer. 2 years, still is an RFA (so no pressure to extend him) and the first year is 2-way (which there's like zero reason to why he would be sent down).
  13. Dr Beinfest

The 'Metropolitan' Division.

Shame.
  14. The Panthers have signed Scott Gomez to a 1-year contract. Low risk signing and depth in case Bjugstad or someone else isnt ready.
  15. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

if it's 2005 that would be cool.
  16. Probably another Kovalev.
  17. Mr. Man

Mr. Man Hammerhead

Meh.
  18. gizmo

gizmo RALLY, BITCH

Not a bad signing considering its only for 900k. He can still skate well and win faceoffs. Much more useful than Kovalev was.
  19. Apparently he is becoming more of a leader which is a lot more than Kovalev can say even though I like Kovalev.

However, the whole Joey Crabb, Bobby Butler get rid of TJ Brennan thing I do not get. I think Brennan performed a lot better than Robak.
  20. gizmo

gizmo RALLY, BITCH

We have to have Robak on the roster or risk losing him through waivers. He's out of options.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.