Change background image

2013 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Major League Baseball' started by CRRaysHead90, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

Jk TIGERS
  2. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

I miss Anibal.
  3. Erick

Erick Marlin

Koji Uehara is amazing.
  4. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

3-2 Sox
    3-2 Cards

04 rematch?
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

A Red Sox-Cardinals World Series would be OK with me. Just as long as the Dodgers aren't in it.
  6. dom2613

dom2613 Hammerhead

Look at this "gamer" Hanley. A cracked rip and he still makes in the lineup tonight.

I love all the talk about how he's changed since he was in FL. No, it's the playoffs and that's when every player who can suck it up does.
  7. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Wow. He wasn't in the lineup just 20 minutes ago.

Also, he manned up when he played with us in 2011 - he was playing with an injured back for a while, then he separated his shoulder or something like that going all-out on a play. I also don't think he was holding back in 2012, but from all reports, his clubhouse attitude was terrible. I also think this year, he was finally fully healthy, and his numbers showed it. The lineup helps, too, of course.
  8. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Hanley is now being checked again in the trainer's room, apparently.

So, game-time decision!
  9. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Hanley is indeed in the lineup.
  10. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Beltran continues to do that thing in the postseason where runs score as a result of his swings.
  11. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Great catch, Beltran.
  12. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Oh, Dodgers.
  13. dom2613

dom2613 Hammerhead

All over but the crying.

I'm pretty envious of the Cards and the way their whole organization is run.
  14. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

The Cardinals drafted Wacha with the compensation pick they received from the Angels when they signed Pujols. Pimps.
  15. fanofthefish

fanofthefish The Grinch's Biggest Fan

Ha Ha No World Series for Hanley :D
  16. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

17. ...

... Sun

Dodgers: 234 mill payroll -- 2nd largest in history.

Result: Sitting on your couch watching the Cards, after being humiliated by a 22 year-old rookie, 500K pitcher.

I love it, even though I always want every series to go 7 games to maximize my (and everyone elses) watching of baseball played by really good teams.
  18. ...

... Sun

In 2012. Plus Miller, Kelly, Carpenter, Rosenthal and Adams in 2009.

Got Pujols? Gosh, no, but we've got these other 6 guys who we figured were pretty good and who play for peanuts.

Hats off to the Cards.

Memo to Loria: Forget worrying about what you're going to pay Dobbs in 2015 (you already accomplished the impossible, you signed the new Wes Helms for 2014 for more money than he's worth, congratulations) and hire the guts of the STL scouting and drafting organization. They actually seem to know what they're doing.
    1 person likes this.
  19. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

The Cards show how an Organization should be run in everyway...20 Homegrown players on their 25 man roster
    That is what I call player development!
  20. ...

... Sun

At first I thought maybe it was only 17 or 18 or 19, but I looked 'em all up and you're entirely correct, it's 20 of 25.

The home-grown talent by year drafted (and/or signed/acquired):

Yadier Molina - '00
    Adam Wainwright - ATL '00, acquired '03, 3 years in the STL system
    Shane Robinson - '06
    Jon Jay - '06
    David Freese - SDP '06, acquired '07, 3 years in the STL system
    Tony Cruz - '07
    Pete Kozma - '07
    Daniel Descalso - '07
    Adron Chambers - '07
    Kevin Siegrist - '08
    Lance Lynn - '08
    Matt Carpenter - '09
    Matt Adams - '09
    Joe Kelly - '09
    Trevor Rosenthal - '09
    Shelby Miller - '09
    Carlos Martinez - '10 (signed as amateur FA after BOS '09 amateur FA deal voided,) 3 years in the STL system
    Kolten Wong - '11
    Seth Maness - '11
    Michael Wacha - '12

The 5 imports:

Matt Holliday - COL '98, acquired '10
    Carlos Beltran - KCR '95, acquired '12
    Randy Choate - NYY '97, signed as FA '12 (after we traded him, he was set free by the Dodgers.)
    Edward Mujica - CLE '01, acquired '12
    John Axford - NYY '06, acquired '13

Imports Choate, Mujica and Axford were almost non-existent in the NLCS. Mostly warm spots in the BP, 3 2/3 IP in 6 games, most of it in losing efforts. Beltran may be the best acquisition they have ever made.

Choate is the one and only (and inexpensive, 2.5 mill/yr for 3 years) veteran FA on the entire roster.

Of the guys who really counted, 20 of 22 were home-grown. That really is an amazing record of draft success for virtually every year from '06 to '12.

Not that the '12 draft should even be a factor in '13, but Wacha is their version of Fernandez, and a pretty damned good one at that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.