Change background image

2014 Lineup Projections

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Wild Card, Dec 5, 2013.

1. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Platoon Fernandez with Mike Dunn.
    gizmo likes this.
  2. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

That lineup is hot garbage.
  3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

We could always platoon LoMo with Gaby Sanchez. Too bad we can't send them back Gorkys :(
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Seriously. Jesus we're going to suck next season. What the hell was the point of signing Saltalamacchia.
  5. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

Ozuna or Marisnick hmm??
  6. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I guess I'm the only one that's not all that upset with this lineup.
  7. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Ozuna to start the year, for the most part he hit ML pitching. Marisnick did not.

Now, if Ozuna can't hit going into June and Marisnick is hitting in New Orleans, then you make the old switcharoo.
  8. dim

I liked the Salty signing. 3 years for a reasonable amount of money (and our catchers last season OPS'd under .500. I didn't even know that was possible before last year). In all honesty, the Saltalamacchia signing had to be done, even if he is likely to regress at least a little.

I really like Yelich obviously. He had a solid rookie season and should improve as he adjusts to major league pitching.

I'm also intrigued by guys like Dietrich and Ozuna. But in all honesty these guys fell off SO bad that they got sent back down. They've got talent, but Ozuna at the very least needs some minor league seasoning. I think Dietrich can produce decently at 2B straight out of opening day, but his numbers don't match up with the numbers you expect from a 3rd baseman.

The problem is that Morrison isn't going to hit enough to be a league average 1B (and his defense is still awful wherever you put him), Hechavarria is going to OPS below .650, and his defense can't make up for that no matter what the front office wants to convince itself into.

I agree with Erick in the fact that this team's probably best off just platooning just about everybody on the team. It would be extremely unconventional, but it would likely produce the best results offensively and would give the team a fighting chance. Find some cheap guys in free agency that can hit either LHP or RHP and PLATOOOOOOOOOOON.
  9. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

I'm kinda confused as to why people are so upset about this. Yeah, the lineup isn't amazing, it's not a world-beater lineup, but it's improving.
  10. dim

Jake Marisnick sh*t the bed horribly when he came up to the majors. He's a great defender, don't get me wrong, but an OPS under .500, even in barely over 100 at bats, is just embarrassing. He needs to prove that he can hit AAA hitting at least until August until he earns himself another call up.

Remember that he's still just 22 years old. Let the kid learn at his own pace. We can all admit that he didn't belong in the majors when he got called up last year.
  11. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I don't see how. Furcal is terrible. He doesn't improve this team, defensively or offensively.

I just don't see how you sign Saltalamacchia then go out and sign Furcal.
  12. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I agree 100%. But his performance was so bad when he came up that I almost don't take a it seriously. I agree, send him to New Orleans and let him work, but if he's hitting by June I wouldn't mind bringing him up. That is, if Ozuna isn't lighting it up, which I hope he does.
  13. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Because it's a one year deal and who gives a s***? We're not contending in 2014, anyways. It's purely a stopgap move.
  14. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Furcal has never been a bad hitter and he's been a gold glove defender. I don't get this at all?
  15. dim

It's improved because of Salty. I like Yelich/Stanton in the outfield, and one of Ozuna/Ruggiano/Marisnick should be able to come out of spring training and earn the 3B spot, but the entire infield minus Salty are below average players. I loved Morrison when he was a prospect, but his plate discipline declined for whatever reason and he's a below average 1st baseman with terrible defense. Dietrich belongs at 2B, Furcal likely belongs on a major league bench or retired, and Hechavarria can't hit a baseball if you told him where the pitch was going.

It's a far, FAR cry from the lineups the Marlins were putting out from 2003-2005 and 2006-2012.
  16. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

There were more quality players on the market or in a trade scenario. You let Dietrich play 2nd, and go after a 3rd baseman. You don't sign Furcal.
  17. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Look up his numbers. I'm not sure what to tell you if you don't see it.
  18. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

1. Yelich
    2. Lomo
    3. Stanton
    4. Salty
    5. Ozuna
    6. Furcal
    7. Dietrich
    8. Hechavarria

My opening day lineup if it were today..
  19. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Again, stopgap move. It's cheap, and it's incentive-laden so if it becomes more expensive, it's because he played well. I'm fine with it. He's coming off a surgery, so we'll see what he does. If he sucks, we plug Solano there. Whatever. We're not contending in 2014, this shouldn't be a big deal.

And yes, his recent numbers aren't that good, but eh.
  20. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I see a player that would have been an average major league second baseman if we go by his 2012 numbers.

And the options at third base were not exciting. That's obviously why they went this route.