Change background image

2014 Lineup Projections

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Wild Card, Dec 5, 2013.

1. miamimarlinsrjp

miamimarlinsrjp Muckdog

Lets trade Lomo in a deal to the Rays including Sean Rodriguez.
    1- Furcal
    2. Rodriguez
    3. Yelich
    4. Stanton
    5. Jones
    6. Saltalammachia
    7. Ozuna
    8. Hech

Or move Rodriguez to 7th and move everyone up a spot. Thoughts??
  2. MrMarlinPride

MrMarlinPride Unsung Hero

I'd rather they not do that
  3. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

The Red Sox re-signed Napoli and don't have any use for Morrison.
  4. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

He shouldn't be in the middle of the batting order. Maybe on a AAA-team, but not a major league team.
  5. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

So let's do this:

1. Stanton
    2. Yelich
    3. Morrison
    4. Saltalamacchia
    5. Ozuna
    6. Dietrich
    7. Furcal
    8. Hechavarria

It makes for perfect statistical reasoning.
  6. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

No, it doesn't.
  7. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

It was sarcasm. I figured you would love that lineup, since, you know, since it's in the order of best on base percentage.
  8. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I knew it was sarcasm. My point is that it accomplishes nothing.

OBP is important for the first two spots of the lineup, but power more essential for the middle of the lineup. Furcal has neither so he should be at the bottom.
  9. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Except you're ignoring the big fact that nobody else, outside of Yelich (who should lead off) and Stanton (who is obviously batting 3rd or 4th) gets on base at a higher rate than Rafael Furcal except Salty. And I would actually be absolutely fine batting Salty second if we have enough power in the middle of the lineup without him there.

So, if you want Salty in the middle, there is nobody else that gets on base more than Furcal. So that should be his logical spot in the order. What's really funny about all this is that from the things I've read in articles and on twitter, all the "experts" are predicting Furcal to lead off, which is much more absurd than my assumption he should bat second.
  10. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Morrison is likely to get on base more than Furcal. I've already made this case, so what am I ignoring? We also don't even know who is playing third base or CF yet.

The major point I've been making (which you are ignoring), is that even if Furcal is a number 2 hitter by default, he's not going to be "productive" there. You said he has the ingredients to be a productive number 2 hitter. I think that is a dumb thing for you to have said because you completely ignored OBP. This is the critical issue of this discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Salty doesn't necessarily need to bat in the middle. We don't know what kind of numbers he will put up--his OBP was decent last year but horrible the two years before that.

Furcal probably will end up hitting 1st or 2nd, because that's something that the Marlins would do. That doesn't mean that Furcal would be "productive" in that role.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

And this point is irrelevant because he won't be playing here and his replacement won't be batting second. Leaving... Furcal.

And my point is that if Furcal, by default, is the best person to hit second, it's because he does have the ingredients to possibly succeed there. At least more so than anyone else.

I am not disagreeing with you that he should not be batting second if at all possible. However it's not looking like that will be the case.
  12. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

The other important thing here is the number of plate appearances, which is something that you never mention in your absurd ramblings about "natural" positions in the lineup.

I see Furcal as being more of a number 7 than anything else--ideally he would be number 8 but Hecchavarria has that locked down. If you bat him second, he's likely to get 90-100 more plate appearances than he should otherwise be getting over the course of the season. In the end, a large part of who bats second should come down to the overall talent of the player.
  13. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Morrison is still on the team. If it were irrelevant, you shouldn't have wasted time with that silliness about two lefties in a row.

He doesn't have the ingredients to "succeed" or be "productive" there, because he's old and not good at getting on base anymore. He doesn't have the talent to warrant getting 90-100 extra plate appearances over the course of a season.
  14. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Maybe we should wait another month or so, see what happens, then make lineup projections.

However, let's throw out some scenarios here.

Morrison stays, LF platoon:

CF Yelich
    2B Furcal
    RF Stanton
    1B Morrison
    C Salty/LF Ruggiano
    LF Jones/C Salty
    3B Dietrich
    SS Hech

Or

CF Yelich
    C Salty
    RF Stanton
    1B Morrison
    LF Jones/Ruggiano
    3B Dietrich
    2B Furcal
    SS Hech

Or

CF Yelich
    1B Morrison
    RF Stanton
    C Salty
    LF Jones/Ruggiano
    3B Dietrich
    2B Furcal
    SS Hech

I'm just not seeing how lineups 2 and 3 would be better than 1, personally. For 2 and 3, you stack your deck up at the top 4 and then hope the bottom 4 can do something. First one, to me, is more balanced. Not saying Furcal is a good #2 hitter, but I think he's the lesser of two evils here.

This is why I'd LIKE to sign Michael Young for a two year deal, especially if we can keep Morrison, or even if we can't. Two lineups:

With Morrison:
    CF Yelich
    3B Young
    RF Stanton
    1B Morrison
    C Salty/LF Ruggiano
    LF Jones/C Salty
    2B Furcal
    SS Hech

Without:
    LF Yelich
    3B Young
    RF Stanton
    CF Ozuna
    C Salty/1B Ruggiano
    1B Jones/C Salty
    2B Furcal
    SS Hech

... it's still a s*** sandwich regardless.

Let's see what happens after Morrison is traded, if he is traded. Winter Meetings are this week, I doubt we're done signing/trading/whatevering.
  15. FloridaMarlinsForever

FloridaMarlinsForever Your gonna need a bigger boat

lol, I love all the predictions everyone makes in regards to the line-up, lets just see how it goes...5 more months till opening day, I know,seems so far away,but time moves so fast these days.... Can we get any worse then last season? We can only getting better from here...patience, .patience...
  16. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I think that the extra plate appearances given to the second hitter matters more than anything else in terms of wins over the course of the season.

Also, Michael Young is terrible. A zero WAR player at best.
  17. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Oh, never mind.

As FloridaMarlinsForever said, 5 months til opening day. Let's see what happens.
  18. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I'm actually curious to know why you think Michael Young would be a good fit here and an upgrade over Ed Lucas even.
  19. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Consistent veteran, gives us a player all over the infield, still a decent hitter, probably better than anything we have right now at anywhere but first base. If anything, a bench bat.

Besides ... Ed Lucas has to re-adjust to the ever-adjusting league.
  20. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I'm not sure he's really that consistent anymore with the drop off in offensive production. His power has gone down a lot even for playing in hitter friendly parks. I'm not sure he's much of a decent hitter anymore, but even if he is, his terrible defense easily overshadows that.

I seriously think that Ed Lucas would put up a higher WAR than Michael Young would.