Change background image

25 Man Roster

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Wild Card, Dec 12, 2013.

1. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I agree that Heaney is probably not going to be the 5th starter coming out of ST. Koehler, Flynn, and Hand are probably the candidates unless they sign a veteran FA or something (which I doubt).
  2. Entendu

Entendu sXe

They need to stop rushing our prospects. Give Heaney another year in the minors and have him move through the system like he'd do in a good organization. This is ridiculous. There's little benefit in having us lose a year of club control because we want to win 75 games instead of 71 (which would net us a lower slot in the draft anyway..)
    mystikol87 likes this.
  3. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I don't see any reason to rush him when you have 3-4 other guys you could put as the 5th starter first.
  4. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

but jose fernandez!
  5. Erick

Erick Marlin

I think the offseason is pretty much over for us now.
    C- Saltalamacchia
    1B- Jones
    2B - Furcal
    3B - Mcgehee
    SS - Hech
    LF - Yelich
    CF - Ozuna
    RF - Stanton

SP1 - Fernandez
    SP2 - Eovaldi
    SP3 - Alvarez
    SP4 - Turner
    SP5 - Koehler or cheap veteran

Closer - Cishek
    Rest of the pen - Capps, Dunn, Ramos, Jennings, Caminero, young guy or cheap veteran
    pollyvonwog likes this.
  6. Erick

Erick Marlin

And a bench of Mathis, Solano, Lucas, Dobbs and Bogusevic.
  7. ^^^ Sounds about right. Barring injuries, I think we're as "set" as we could possibly be. Roles are pretty defined already in mid-December. There won't be much competition this spring.
  8. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Starters

C Saltalamacchia
    1B Jones
    2B Furcal
    SS Hechavarria
    3B McGehee
    LF Yelich
    CF Ozuna
    RF Stanton

Bench

C Mathis
    IF Solano
    IF/OF Lucas
    IF/OF Dobbs
    OF Bogusevic

Rotation

1. Fernandez
    2. Eovaldi
    3. Alvarez
    4. Turner
    5. Koehler

Bullpen

Cishek
    Dunn
    Capps
    Ramos
    Jennings
    Caminero
    AVAILABLE

About right?
    CYmarlins likes this.
  9. CYmarlins

CYmarlins 5 0

WildCard, you are about right. Although I think you put Koehler in the bullpen as the long man and either fill the 5th spot with Flynn or sign a veteran on a FA or minor league deal.
  10. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Leave Koehler as the number five guy until Heaney or someone is ready, then shift Koehler to the pen.
  11. Erick

Erick Marlin

I wouldn't be surprised if they have another Nate Robertson-like signing before the offseason is over to say they added a lefty to the rotation. This old-school front office kinda works that way. Rotation is young and doesn't have a lefty so must add an experienced lefty even if he's not that good.
  12. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I'm indifferent. I don't think Koehler did anything wrong to lose that spot, he was fine as our fifth starter. But I also think putting him in the pen is our best way to insert a long reliever and find out how Flynn or Hand can do next year in the rotation. We don't need a third lefty in the pen, and specifically Flynn has nothing left to prove in the minors... time to see what he's got.
  13. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

I think Koehler probably starts the season as the #5 starter, but I also expect Adam Conley to take over that spot by June and prove that he belongs in the rotation long term.
    Hotcorner likes this.
  14. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Heaney > Conley

I like Conley, he came up big in 2013, but he is likely a year away. Just too many arms in front of him right now.
  15. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Conley is probably not going to make it to MLB until 2015 at earliest.
  16. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Koehler is good enough to be the #5 guy in 2013. But if someone beats him out in spring training, he can be the long man in the pen. No biggie.
  17. dim

Heaney's obviously a better prospect than Conley. But Conley could definitely make the rotation if pitchers fail to live up to expectation or injuries occur (and this is likely to happen to at least two of our starting pitchers).

Fernandez
    Eovaldi
    Turner
    Alvarez
    Koehler

I don't believe Eovaldi/Turner/Alvarez, if they all begin the season still on the Marlins, are all going to post mid 3 ERA's again next season. When some of them get injured or falter (and obviously Koehler gets replaced) I'd go Conley before Heaney. Heaney's the better pitcher and the better prospect, but Conley's got more innings logged in the minors. Heaney has barely over 100 IP in the minors, while Conley has over 250 IP. When a starting pitcher needs to come up, I'd rather let Conley take his place early.

Honestly, I'd rather let Heaney pitch the whole season in AA/AAA ball and come up in 2015.
    Hotcorner likes this.
  18. dim

But again, I'm probably higher on Conley than a number of people on here. I see him as a future #3 starter in our rotation (Heaney's a #2 of course).
  19. Entendu

Entendu sXe

You are
  20. Giancarlo Stanton

Giancarlo Stanton Grasshopper

We need a better 5. Tom doesn't get the job done.