Change background image

25 Man Roster

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Wild Card, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Giancarlo Stanton

Giancarlo Stanton Grasshopper

We should send Tom down to AAA and start Brian Flynn as the 5th starter.
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I like Conley as well, although not that much. I would give him the nod over Heaney. Give Heaney the opportunity to develop while giving Conley an opportunity. Plus, we're going to suck so no need to call Heaney mid season.
  3. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

Why would you sign a lefty starter when you have Flynn and Hand who are both ML ready...to spend more money?
    I guess that is the Marlin way!
  4. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

According to the official web site, they aren't looking for another starter. They are looking for a veteran reliever for the pen.
  5. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Starters

C Saltalamacchia
    1B Jones
    2B Furcal
    SS Hechavarria
    3B McGehee
    LF Yelich
    CF Ozuna
    RF Stanton

Bench

C Mathis
    IF Solano or Lucas
    IF/OF Baker
    IF/OF Dobbs
    OF Bogusevic

Rotation

1. Fernandez
    2. Eovaldi
    3. Alvarez
    4. Turner
    5. Koehler or Flynn or Hand

Bullpen

Cishek
    Dunn
    Capps
    Ramos
    Jennings
    Marmol
    Caminero/Koehler

It looks like there's only a few spots open for competition. Lucas and Solano are going to beat each other up for the final bench spot. Fifth starter spot is open, Koehler with the inside edge, Flynn right there with him and Hand far behind. If Koehler takes the final rotation spot, I see Slowey in long relief (we won't carry three lefties, so Hand is out. Flynn will gets starts in NO). If Flynn takes the final spot in the rotation, Koehler takes long relief.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  6. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Our offense is still going to suck pretty hard this year. They also need to be prepared to get Hech out of that lineup if he hits like he did last year (aka one of the worst ratings of any starter in MLB).
  7. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Now that Marmol has a guaranteed contract, it looks like the bullpen is set depending on who wins the fifth starter spot. If Koehler wins, Caminero is likely locked in for the final spot. However if someone like Flynn surprises and take the 5th spot, I could see Koehler sending Caminero to NO. So, essentially the rosters are set with just a couple of small battles... but looks like we know what we're getting.
  8. Bret Hart

Bret Hart ↑This girl make me sick

Pitchers (12)
    Rotation(5) : Jose-Eovaldi-Alvarez-Turner-(1 pitcher among Flynn, Hand, Koehler, Slowey and Heaney)
    Bullpen(6) : Cishek(C), Dunn, Jennings, Ramos, Capps, Marmol
    (competition for 1 bullpen spot : H. Rodriguez, Roe, Caminero, Brady, Dayton, Dyson, Hatcher, Olmos, Sanchez and Urena)

Hitters (13)
    Catcher(2) : Salty, Mathis
    Inf.(6) : Jones, Baker, Furcal, Hech, McGehee, Dobbs
    Of.(4) : Yelich, Ozuna, Stanton, Bogusevic
    (competition for 1 hitter' spot : Dietrich, Lucas, Solano, Wigginton and Johnson)

Cause of signing Marmol, 1 player will be DFAd sooner or later. / Bold players are lefty or swithed
    Any missing part?
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  9. Bret Hart

Bret Hart ↑This girl make me sick

And My prediction is...

- Lefty Flynn and Hand will get a chance (Better pitcher will go to rotation, another one will take a long reliever role.)
    - 25th player will be Donovan Solano. (DD will prepare for 3rd base job at AAA.)
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  10. I could see Reed Johnson making the team. Honestly, for 1 million more they could have kept Ruggiano. That trade still makes no sense to me.

I also liked what I saw from Caminero last year. Think he could be a nice addition.
  11. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Caminero is Marmol lite. Needs to be more controlled first. Could put up strong numbers.
  12. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Flynn AND Hand won't both make it. One could take a rotation spot, but we already have two lefties in the pen with Jennings and Dunn, no need for a third to take up space. Bullpen is basically set.
  13. I dont get why people are so down on Conley. He has done a very solid job in AA and I think he is a sleeper.
  14. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I'm not down on him, he's just like the #5 lefty prospect in our system alone... That just speaks to our depth, but he's got some guys ahead of him for sure.
  15. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I would rather have Reed Johnson than Bogusevic if Reed is anywhere close to what he used to be.
    Eddie Altamonte likes this.
  16. Iowa

Iowa Midwest Invasion

Johnson is a fun player to watch. I think he'll make the 25 man

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
  17. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

18. No love for Garret Jones

Garrett Jones went 0-for-3 against the Yankees on Sunday and is in a 2-for-31 slump.

Advice: We think Jones is done as a useful major leaguer, but that didn't stop the Marlins from giving him a two-year, $7.5 million contract and a guaranteed starting job over the winter. He'll likely be the team's cleanup hitter against right-handers, at least for a month or two.

(Rotoworld.com)
  19. 97marlin

97marlin Grasshopper

Can Turner be traded?
  20. SongInTheAir

SongInTheAir So it goes.

CAN he? Yes, of course. But the Marlins would be selling very very low on him (which hasn't stopped them before, however)

A lot of teams need pitching after the recent "elbow death day," so the fish could probably entertain some offers. Nothing of value would come back for Turner alone though.