Change background image

As Loria's world turns

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by ..., Feb 12, 2014.

1. ...

... Sun

Remember this? When I said 1/2 or more of the 25-man would be gone in a year?

http://marlinsbaseball.com/threads/4-25-post-game.69830/page-2#post-1418870

Some (but not Larry) doubted it. Here's the 25-man as of 4/26/13:

Olivo GONE
    Green GONE
    Pierre GONE
    Kearns GONE
    Coghlan GONE
    Qualls GONE
    Nolasco GONE
    Valaika GONE
    Polanco GONE
    LeBlanc GONE
    Rauch GONE
    Ruggiano GONE
    Sanabia GONE
    Mahoney GONE
    Webb GONE
    Slowey GONE - later resigned as FA to Marlins MiLB - not on 40-man
    Brantly GONE - sent down to Marlins MiLB - still on 40-man
    Solano
    Koehler
    Cishek
    Stanton
    Fernandez
    Dobbs
    Ramos
    Dunn

Turns out I was wrong, 17 of the then-active 25 are gone, I guessed 14 would be gone. Only 8 guys, 10 counting Brantly and Slowey from that 25-man are still in the organization. I was right that less than 10 guys were "guaranteed" to be here this year. Maybe 6 are locks for this year. Gotta love it. 76% of that 4/26/13 25-man are history.

At the time, there were also:
    Morrison (DL) GONE
    Kotchman (DL) GONE
    Hechavarria (DL)
    Alvarez (DL)
    Eovaldi (DL)
    Mathis (DL)
    Turner (MiLB) - not yet called up
    Yelich (MiLB) - not yet called up
    Marisnick (MiLB) - not yet called up
    Ozuna (MiLB) - not yet called up

Lots and lots of turnover. Of the larger group of 35, about half are still here, about half gone. A good thing considering what was on the 25 and 40-man rosters about a year ago.
  2. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

We've replaced poop with garbage. Hooray!
    #MovinOnUp
    Wild Card likes this.
  3. MarlinatPenn

MarlinatPenn Hammerhead

To get this straight, you wanted to keep all those scrubs? Or did you want to upgrade them?
  4. ...

... Sun

C'mon, how can anyone look at that list of GONEs and not be happy?
  5. And while im not saying its a worst to first change, its that much turnover that has me excited for this year.

We may not be a contender but we are definitely not the same team as last year.
    Wild Card likes this.
  6. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I think the worst thing is that we got nothing for Nolasco of note. The rest of those guys were stopgaps because Loria didn't want to pay for quality (Polanco, Pierre) or veterans/AAA filler getting league minimum.
  7. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Excited to see what's in store. A lot could go right... And a lot could go wrong...
  8. ...

... Sun

Exactly.

And there may now be enough pop in the line-up to go along with great pitching (assuming that it doesn't fall apart) to turn it into a much better season than most expect. Who knows? Marmol might even figure out where the strike zone is.

Watching last year's "highlight" games is just depressing. This year can't possibly be anywhere near that bad because the worst of the feckless are gone. Not all of them, but maybe enough of them to wind up with a significantly better result.
  9. I wonder if Ruggiano trade had anything to do with Tino Martinez. Remember hearing Ruggiano was involved.
  10. Vince0926

Vince0926 Hammerhead

Garrett jones, salty, and furcal vs. nick green, Brantley, and kotchman. Hmm.....decisions decisions.
  11. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Okay, I admit it. Just to be sure, I had to look up "feckless."
  12. Erick

Erick Marlin

Anyone else trying to figure out what the point of this thread is?
    Eddie Altamonte likes this.
  13. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Isn't it obvious?

... is trying to stroke his ego over something unimportant and negligible while also defend Jeffrey Loria at the same time.
    Dr Beinfest likes this.
  14. Erick

Erick Marlin

"Some (but not Larry) doubted it."

I like how some = one. Seriously, the only person who quoted that post was squall and he didn't even say you were wrong. ... is definitely Samson.
  15. Dr Beinfest

Dr Beinfest Larry's Little Helper

Favorite topic.
  16. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

So... kudos for filling a roster with awfulness and then getting rid of them.

:gomiamib
    mystikol87 likes this.
  17. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

I don't get it...was it any secret that The Marlins were gonna be really bad?
    When teams are bad you tend to replace the players
    So what????
  18. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Sounds like you. Less the Loria portion.
  19. Entendu

Entendu sXe

20. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

That's a dumb thing to say. I never pat myself on the back when I'm proven to be right on something after time has passed.