Change background image

Brandon Marshall to the Dolphins for two 2nd rounders

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by JetsMania, Apr 14, 2010.

1. JetsMania

JetsMania Hammerhead

Just reported on espn. I like Brandon Marshall alot, so I like this move. He is supposed to sign a rather large contract in the next day or so.

Its for a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year.
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. cubbies21

cubbies21 The Iceman

I think this will hurt the Dolphins more than help them to be honest. I, as a Kyle Orton fan, am SO glad that Marshall is out of Denver. I see the Dolphins going 7-9 next year, just no way to compete with the Jets and the Patriots, too many holes.
  4. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

I think this is a very good trade. He will get a massive contract, too. I'm not sure how the rest of the Dolphins' salary cap situation looks, but to be honest, given the lack of a new CBA, you can't worry about that too much.

And they got away without giving up a 1st.

As long as he stays out of trouble, this will be a really good deal. The AFC East is really beefing up, and I expect NE to improve with 4 top-60 picks in the draft. Whoever wins this division will really deserve it.
  5. McFly

McFly The Wade-y Bunch

really...REALLY?

not that your opinion should matter after admitting to your full membership to the kyle orton fan club, but saying that trading for a top 3 receiver makes the dolphins worse when their leading receivers are named f***ING brian hartline and davone bess?

gtfo.

seriously.

there's the door.
  6. JetsMania

JetsMania Hammerhead

Marshall is now the highest paid receiver in NFL history

4 years 47.5 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5085644
  7. JetsMania

JetsMania Hammerhead

Why would you be SO glad? The guy caught 101 passes last season. Denver is taking steps backwards.

The dolphins certainly needed a receiver, there is no doubt about it. Marshall is easily a top 5 receiver. So good job to them for going out and getting him

However, my only concern is this, they had to give up two picks to then offer him that huge deal. A lot of people are really high on Dez Bryant and there was a pretty good chance the dolphins could have drafted him at #12. They would have ended up paying less money and keeping two #2 picks had they picked Bryant. However, there is no guarantee he pans out.
  8. yankeefan21

yankeefan21 Hammerhead

A little harsh but... uh... yeah... Brandon Marshall is easily one of the best receivers in the league right now. You are giving up two #2 picks for a young Pro-Bowler who has yet to peak.

Let's put it this way; here are the Dolphins' last 10 2nd round picks - I will offer you THREE players for Marshall, which ones will you choose?

2009: Pat White
    2008: Phillip Merling
    2007: John Beck [now in Baltimore]
    2006: to Minnesota [who picked Ryan Cook]
    2005: Matt Roth [now in Cleveland]
    2004: to Bungles [who picked Madieu Williams]
    2003: Eddie Moore [not in football]
    2002: to Eagles [who picked Sheldon Brown]
    2001: Chris Chambers [now in KC - 1 Pro Bowl]
    2000: Todd Wade [now in Jacksonville on his 4th team]
    1999: James Johnson [not in football]
  9. mystikol87

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

The two 2nd-rounders are easily worth less than their 1st round pick is worth. Dez Bryant still would have gotten a pretty big contract if drafted at 12. Obviously not nearly as big as Marshall's (wow!), but Marshall is far and away a better player.
  10. mystikol87

The Dolphins suck at drafting lol

Bottom line about Dez vs Marshall: Dez's upside is what Marshall already is.
  11. Schnellders

Schnellders The Sinister Scotsman

All that matters here is the ability of the Dolphins coaching staff to sort out Marshall's personality and off-field issues. If so, it's a steal getting him for two 2nd round picks. If not, that $50m contract of which like $25m is guaranteed looks awfully hefty.
  12. Dr Beinfest

Dr Beinfest Larry's Little Helper

Im very, very happy now. Excellent move for the Phins and now they are one step closer. Yeah, the Jets look great too, and both the Pats and Jets have pretty sick teams... and are favorites... but now with Marshall you certainly cant count the Dolphins out. Easily slotted 3rd in the projections although I wouldnt put them out of the playoffs just yet.

Im still feeling as though we need another option on the offense. Perhaps another TE or WR...

and for god sakes pray for the secondary.
  13. JetsMania

JetsMania Hammerhead

However, that doesn't mean that the 2nd rounders they would have taken are going to turn into busts. The dolphins for whatever reason really havent had much success with 2nd round picks the past ten years. Many other teams have.

I'd still make the trade, but I wouldnt say I like it only because the dolphins havent drafted well in the 2nd round.
  14. Dr Beinfest

The trade's a fair value. Unlike the Holmes-5th pick, it benefits both teams in terms of value, especially with Marshall agreeing to a contract. Simply based off of talent level, and considering the Dolphins had to sign Marshall to their own contract, this seems like the right price (2 2nd round picks). Cant say either team is the loser here... of course it makes Denver significantly worse offensively but in terms of overall value they got a good deal.
  15. Puma

Puma Hammerhead

One of the worst posts in the history of the board.
  16. prinmemito

prinmemito Hammerhead

Great pickup, no doubt.

So who do the Dolphins go after with their 12th pick? Someone to address our secondary problems? Perhaps trade down?
  17. mystikol87

I disagree. It's only fair because of his conduct issues. Otherwise he is worth something more like a 1st and a 3rd. We're talking about a top-5 WR in all of football entering his prime years.

If he were an upstanding citizen, he could even be worth a 1st and a 2nd, and maybe even a little more.
  18. Dr Beinfest

You are talking about a restricted free agent without a contract, the deal was pretty fair. Dont forget, we traded for Brandon Marshall's negotiation rights... not Brandon Marshall's contract.
  19. JetsMania

JetsMania Hammerhead

Wr's really dont go for 1st rounders anymore. Welker, Holmes, Moss, Boldin, Braylon Edwards and now Marshall all went for 2nd rounders or higher. The last one I remember is Keyshawn from the Jets to Tampa for two 1st rounders.

I agree that Denver got a decent return. I think they are going to take a step back this season. Actually they played over their heads the first half of last year, which is the only reason they had a decent record. Pittsburgh really didnt get much back for Holmes.
  20. JetsMania

JetsMania Hammerhead

According to the draft value chart, the two 2nd rounders the dolphins gave would be equal to the 18th pick this year.

So Denver got something worth a first rounder and the dolphins did have to give up a first rounder. Both teams win