Change background image

Brandon Marshall to the Dolphins for two 2nd rounders

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by JetsMania, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Franchise QBs don't have to be elite. I'm not calling him a top 5-10 QB. Everyone in Miami feels, based on his performance last year, he can be our franchise QB.

Not drinking the kool aid. As we stand today, we have an elite running game. Ronnie Brown may suffer his share off freak injuries, but until he gets injured, then our running game will suffer. Until then, it's an elite unit, just like last year.

We need a NT because Ferguson is old and will miss the first 8 games. Paul Soliai is good enough to hold down the position for 8 games, but we need another NT because he's the only one on the roster for the first 8 games.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=DE4&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

This website ranks the best 3-4 DEs. Randy Starks, Kendall Langford, and Philip Merling are all top 5. Starks is the second best 3-4 DE, and Langford is the 7th best. This is a really good defensive line. Maybe you were confused, but I meant to say elite 3-4 defensive line. That should have been obvious, though.

I don't even know how to respond to that. The only reason you feel this secondary won't be great is because you hate Miami. Last draft, Davis was the number one ranked CB. Sure, he was picked in the 20s, but not because of talent. He has the talent to be an elite corner. Sean Smith isn't going to be elite, but he could turn out to be a very fine #2 corner.

Let's compare Revis's first season to Smith and Vontae. Revis played 542 snaps, Smith played 914, and Davis played 709. Both had many more snaps than he did. Revis was thrown at 42 times, giving up 25 catches for a 59.5 completion percentage. Smith was thrown at 67 times, giving up 38 catches for a 56.7 completion percentage. Davis was thrown at 76 times, giving up 48 catches for a 63.2 completion percentage. Revis gave up 3 TDs, Smith 4, and Davis 6. Revis had 4 interceptions, Smith 0, and Davis 4. Revis had 3 pass deflections, Davis had 8 and Smith had 10. Revis had a 59.9 passer rating, Smith had a 116.1 passer rating, and Davis had a 104.9 passer rating. Profootballfocus scored Darrel Revis a 1.7 in coverage, Smith a -1.6, and Davis a 3.7.

Revis was better than Davis, but not by much. He was clearly better than Smith. But he wasn't thrown into the fire like they were.

Crowder did have a bad year last year. But like I said, he was a good player the year before that. He just had a down year. Play him next to Dansby, and your ILB unit is good. It's not Bart Scott and David Harris, but it's good.

Like I said, I didn't overrate anything. You keep ignoring the fact that I said this team could potentially be a great team. I'm not calling them great now. They are an average team, but have the talent and potential to be a great team.

I'm not going to lie. I don't know anything about hockey, which is why I don't go into the thread. But since you don't know anything about football, and you keep coming into here, I might take a look into it.

Honestly, I'd rather be a homer than a hater. You don't come into NFL threads trying talk about football. You're only intention is to start an argument about Miami. And for what? Because they got more time on TV than the Marlins. Grow up.
  2. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

I don't know if you quoted it wrong, but 60 vs 116 vs 105 passer ratings when thrown at is not close at all. The latter 2 are horrible stats :mis2
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Lol yea, but they were thrown at more. I think Revis would have been higher if he had more snaps.

Also, I'm not claiming Davis or Smith will be the next Revis. Revis is, imo, the best corner it todays game. Somehow, even better than Asomugha. But, I feel Davis has the talent to be one of the best. He has the size and speed, can cover, makes plays, and is good against the run. Much like Darrel Revis. Now, he just has to prove it on the field like Revis.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

JetsMania, what did you mean when you said you like Brandon Marshall alot? As a person or player?
  5. Erick

Erick Marlin

Nice research, but how can you compare the CB's? Revis passer rating allowed was incredibly low, and both Davis and Smith were over 100. It just shows that Davis and Smith got burnt more often, no? Am I missing something here?

The rest is you telling me I don't know football, which I do. You keep calling me a hater, as if I'm just saying the whole team sucks in this thread. I'm not. If anyone else thinks any of what I said is unfair, please feel free to say so. Till then, you're just going off-topic.
  6. mystikol87

Yeah, passer rating is a ratio of sorts given how many times you were thrown at. Being targeted more is not an advantage for rating, and over 100 is horrible.
  7. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Mystikol stated that already. I responded by saying there were thrown at way more than he was. That's why I mentioned the snaps in the very beginning.

How in the hell did I get off topic when I wrote all that? Is it because I called you a hater?
  8. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

It is bad, and it does show they got burnt. But don't you think with more playing time, the same would have happened to Revis? His passer rating showed in the time he's played, he was really good. But he was thrown at way less than they were. Who knows what his passer rating would be if he had the snaps they did.
  9. Erick

Erick Marlin

What does being thrown to more often have anything to do with passer rating? The difference isn't even close, and of all the stats you mentioned, passer rating against was by far the most significant one. It's as if you just compared JaMarcus Russell to Peyton Manning and tried to make it look good with statistics. You can't compare a passer rating over 100, to a passer rating under 60. 1 is great, the other is awful.

And you went off-topic talking about the Panthers...and really calling me a hater, too. I've said stuff in the past, and it's well-known I don't like the Dolphins, but I don't see how anything I've said in this thread is untrue.
  10. Erick

Erick Marlin

Um, no? The passer rating is pretty much a ratio already, and you're making it seem as if the statistic is close. It's nowhere near close. It just shows that Revis has been elite, from the very beginning.
  11. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Because who knows what could have happened if he was thrown at as much as Davis and Smith. Davis was thrown at 34 more times and Smith was thrown at 23 more times. Thats a big difference.

I was trying to bring up a point when I mentioned the Panthers.
  12. Erick

Erick Marlin

That's not a big difference, actually. Revis is an elite corner, you give him 34 more snaps, and realistically, he might get beat...once, maybe twice? And we're comparing a passer rating under 60 to one that's over 100, and trying to make it seem closer all of the sudden because of Davis being thrown at 34 more times? It's just not a good comparison, at all.
  13. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Those were Revis's rookie numbers. If he was that great as a rookie, then I take back what I said. But I still stand by what I said. Vontae Davis can be an elite corner if he keeps progressing and puts it all together like Revis. He has everything a number one corner needs.
  14. prinmemito

prinmemito Hammerhead

:lol

10-12 win season hardly guarantees a ring... means they will probably make the playoffs.
  15. JetsMania

JetsMania Hammerhead

I think he has beautiful eyes, big strong arms and a great sense of humor...

As a player. He has his fair share of off field problems, so that would be something to watch out for. I think he is a great player, and I'm sure every team would want him on their team if he behaves.
  16. mystikol87

Yeah, Revis' numbers should have been similar even if he was thrown at more. I don't think there would be a significant fatigue factor there. He was thrown at a ton this past season, and he was of course elite then.
  17. Dr Beinfest

Dr Beinfest Larry's Little Helper

To those who have been debating with me in this thread... for the very little desire of ^ everything above happening.... even though I've still got plenty of tricks up my sleeve ;) ... I think I'm just gonna draw the line right here because to be honest I hate reading this crap.
  18. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

19. JetsMania

JetsMania Hammerhead

I read that earlier today. Marshall is the better receiver no doubt (but not by that much), but I am thrilled about the Holmes trade. Marshall for a first or Holmes for a 5th, I'll take Holmes.

I was thinking about this earlier today. Two of my favorite beers are Trappist Rochefort 10 (Marshall) and Siberian Night (Holmes). If I was rating each out of a 100, I'd give Rochefort a 98 and Siberian Night a 93. If both bottles cost the same, I'll take the Rocherfort. However, Rochefort cost $7.99 a bottle while Siberian Night costs $1.89. When you factor in price, then Siberian night becomes a better deal. I'm still getting an excellent beer (not the best) for a great price. How's that for an analogy?
  20. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

Difference is you don't know what you would've gotten out of that 2nd rounder you gave up. You could've gotten a good starter, but you could've just as easily gotten a bust. You know what you could get for $7.99