Change background image

Front office

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Erick, Dec 14, 2013.

1. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

I suppose if one were to have the outloook on life that "everyone is stupid except me", that is a viable opinion. I just don't buy into it.

The second part I can somewhat agree with. But that's just going along with the company mantra and not causing any waves. Causing waves gets you fired in Miami. Red has one year experience as an MLB manager/coach/anything. Think any team is chomping at the bits right now, just hoping he gets fired so they can gobble him up as their next manager?
  2. YearOneMarlinFan

YearOneMarlinFan Grasshopper

Obviously Red has been told he's going to start Jones every day, so he has to make some explanation to the media as to why Jones should be allowed to face lefties. Red didn't have much else to work with for that explanation.
  3. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Shouldn't winning the World Series always be the goal? My brother plunked $40 bucks on the Marlins to win the World Series in 2003 in Las Vegas, and he thought he was throwing his money away. Until Torborg was fired and McKeon was hired, they were a pretty bad baseball team. If your goal isn't to win the World Series in Spring Training, then you shouldn't be even playing. That is how teams are always judged in history. No one will remember how good the Buffalo Bills were with Jim Kelly......because they never won that Super Bowl.
  4. ...

... Sun

Well, no, it's not a matter of having an outlook of "everyone is stupid except me."

It's a matter of a bunch of ex-jocks (as in coaches and managers) running their mouths with nothing backing it up, so they say the first thing that comes to mind that they think will sound good. Just like they did when they were players. The press, desperate to have something to write about demand that they say something. So they do.

It's a constant. They burp up garbage and cliches for fan consumption. Totally meaningless. Trying to devine some deep meaning from their comments is the height of silliness.

The idea of Redmond caring about his marketability is nothing but a straw-man. I never claimed any such thing.
  5. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

Ed Lucas went to Dartmouth.
  6. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Since when is there a company mantra on platooning players?

And wasn't Mike Hill saying just the other day that he sees Jones as a platoon candidate?

I think he's just dumb.
  7. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

It's only meaningless until Redmond starts trotting Jones out there against LHP.
  8. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Actually, I take it back. Maybe Hill is telling Redmond what to think after all:
    What a dummy.
  9. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I was just about to say... Yea, it's Hill saying these things.
  10. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Michael Hill went to Harvard. That's much more surprising.
  11. greenhat

greenhat Muckdog

Of course the goal is to win a world series but lumping all outcomes into the binary system of "won world series" or "did not win world series" is a dumb way of evaluating performance.

And plenty of people will remember how good the Bills were when they went to those superbowls. You just did. And so did plenty of people reading your comment. I don't know any real football fans who were adults in the 90s who wouldn't remember that, despite the Bills never winning a superbowl.
    mystikol87 likes this.
  12. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

He's a smart guy, I'm sure. Just not baseball smart.
  13. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

It's the goal but it shouldn't be the only definitive measure of success. A lot can happen over the course of a short series.

The 2003 Marlins were not a better team than the 2001 Mariners, for example, just because the Marlins won the series and the Mariners lost the ALCS.

14. BUT RBIS AND RBIS AND RBIS ANMD RBIS AND DAJSDFJ3TJ44
  15. gizmo

gizmo RALLY, BITCH

To be fair, Jones had a fantastic DAJSDFJ3TJ44 in 2012.
  16. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

He really did. However, such a drop-off from one season to the next in DAJSDFJ3TJ44 is a big cause for concern.
    Let's hope he can restore some DAJSDFJ3TJ44 ability in 2014, especially against lefties.
  17. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

You're such a pencil pushing nerd.
  18. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Did you eat the same paint chips that Piazza had when he was a child?
    curveball and MrMarlinPride like this.
  19. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Say what you will, but DAJSDF3TJ44 is VERY important.
  20. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

You don't know sabermetrics cause you don't understand DAJSDF3TJ44.
    pollyvonwog likes this.