Change background image

Front office

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Erick, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Is that like BABIPWOPB?
  2. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

You're thinking POPAWOPBIP, but no. That hasn't nothing to do with DAJSDF3TJ44.

Also, if you Google POPAWOPBIP, MB comes up as the first result.
  3. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

What an honor!
  4. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

They're chips, bro. Can you blame him?
  5. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

So you don't think Red is just repeating the FO mantra and is trying to make the best of the situation handed to him? And apparently you think players, coaches, and managers are stupid, but don't have the attitude that "everyone is stupid but me?" Hmmm. Okay.

Not sticking up for anyone here. I didn't much care for the Red hiring in the first place. (Remember my "Here's another cookie, Red" comments? ) I prefer a manager that will think for himself and not just puke out what the FO wants him to. But in Miami, if you have a different opinion than the FO (owner) you get fired. A manager that has one year of managing/coaching experience at the MLB level has to cover his butt. He's not going to come out and say, "We still need this, this, and this or we are not going to win." It's called job security.
  6. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Doubt it. Just another yes man trying to say the "right" things so the general public won't get turned off on the team before ST even starts. Find where the ones that made waves are now.
  7. ...

... Sun

Of course Red is handing out the FO mantra. But, some of what he says IS stupid, the rest is conventional wisdom. It's what most of them do, for whatever reason -- ignorance, stupidity, keeping their head down, outright sucking-up to the FO, etc.

Here, let me rephrase it. Most players, coaches and managers are less able to articulate, or for that matter even form an opinion based on facts than most of the posters on this board. Then there's the not-small matter of actually being able to make a coherent argument. It just ain't in their DNA or their education. Playing ball is. They're jocks and ex-jocks, not rocket scientists or statistical analysts or theoretical logicians.

Trying to decipher or critique whatever a bunch of cliche-reliant doofuses burp up is a waste of time, they'll say something different two days later.

As for Red, he's just another miscellaneous manager. They come and they go. I'd rather have Jack. A guy who once actually had an intelligent, well considered plan of attack to win. That worked. Not to mention his ability to say things in Stengelese terms.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  8. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

I think Loria has been a meddler since the day that Joe Girardi almost got fired for telling him to be quiet (when he was yelling at the umpire). He reminded Girardi of who signed his pay check and that he prepared to fire him after that game before getting talked out of it. Telling Redmond who to start in each game of a double header just proved that he hasn't changed. If he tried that kind of stuff with Jack McKeon, the old dude would have told him to jump in the ocean.
  9. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

The main problem with this FO is that every time there is a dissenting voice in the organization, they end up getting fired. It's blatantly obvious that if you don't agree with whatever Loria thinks, you won't be employed long.
  10. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

To follow your train of thought.....You do know Trader Jack isn't/wasn't a rocket scientist, statistical engineer, or theoretical analyst, don't ya? (Matter of fact, I don't think anyone here is either.) Jack is an ex-jock that couldn't make it in the sport of his choice and went into coaching instead. And then comparing him to Stengel, didn't you actually call him stupid in a previous post?

We're actually not far off from agreeing. Except you are calling them stupid and I am saying they are just following what the FO wants them to say so they can keep their jobs. Plus, work with what you have and not what you wish you had. Saying differently gets you fired in Miami. It may make one feel better to say I was right and they were wrong, but the bottom line is that you are still fired. In Red's case, one year coaching/managing at this level isn't that great on his resume.
  11. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

That's awfully presumptuous.
  12. mystikol87

What's a statistical engineer?
  13. Entendu

Entendu sXe

I'm actually a statistical engineer AND a rocket scientist.
  14. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

I'm a Neurosurgeon and a Quantum Physicists on my spare time!
  15. mystikol87

You're so good you found a way to occupy the space of multiple Quantum Physicists at once!
  16. Piazza31

Piazza31 Pr*ck

What the f*** do I have to do with this conversation Penguin boy?

Keep my f***ing name out of your posts.
  17. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I think the answer is pretty obvious.
  18. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Is it? If anyone here is truthfully one of these, speak up.
  19. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Yea, he probably would have. He didn't need the job and could have cared in the least if he got the axe.
  20. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Exactly. Owners have the right to run their teams any way they want. But I believe the most succesful ones are the owners that let the people they hire actually do their jobs instead of questioning and/or over riding day to day operations. That's not Loria.