Change background image

How excited are you for the 2014 season?

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by LordMagnus, Jan 25, 2014.

1. I'm excited to see what the young guys do. The team as a whole, I just want to be fun to watch. Last year was no fun.
  2. Vince0926

Vince0926 Hammerhead

If the offense matures, like Hechavarria and solano improve, watch out. Think about salty vs. brantly, mcgehee vs. polanco and yelich vs. Pierre.....no comparison. Jones vs. Morrison is a toss up. Furcal should be an improvement over Dietrich, at least by average.
  3. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

And hopefully a fully healthy year from Giancarlo.
    Also, one could probably add Ozuna vs Ruggiano, as all signs point to Ozuna winning the center field job.
  4. canefandynasty

canefandynasty Hammerhead

Ozuna was the Marlins most clutch hitter with an absolute rocket in RF. He should galvanize our offense alone. Yelich has yet to fill out, so he's still a gap to gap hitter. When he builds mass alot of those doubles will turn to HRs. Jose is an absolute freak. Hope Stanton stays healthy all season.
  5. Coastal State of Mind

Coastal State of Mind Grasshopper

Vince - good points. The improvements are obvious when you look position by position. If we can stay healthy and our pitching stays solid, I'm telling you, could be "near" the top of the NL East.
  6. always excited for the new season but a lot of guys are going to have to step up including the starters in the rotation as well as stanton, yelich, ozuna, and hechavarria.

I also want to see Dietrich step up. He has a solid year at AA and saw some good things when he was in the majors.
  7. Erick

Erick Marlin

Marcell Ozuna is really not as good as some people on here seem to think. There's really nothing to suggest that he'll be a better hitter than Justin Ruggiano this year.
    dim likes this.
  8. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Agreed. People here really overrate him for some reason.
  9. canefandynasty

They're both bench players, but Ozuna would perform better in platoon roles than Ruggiano. He's also the better defender. Not to mention that Ozuna probably underacheived from a power standpoint last season. I expect his slugging to increase.

Ozuna isn't an everyday starter, but Ruggiano is worse. Never has gamechanging hits. Plays 'meh' defense, and his good basestealing tool is hindered by a low OBP. Don't understand the love for Dietrich and Ruggiano here.
  10. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

Well let's not confuse "I'm looking forward to watching Marlins player X" for "can't wait to see him quickly become an all-star!"

Ozuna is what we got. Though if you didn't like Ruggiano's low OBP I'm not sure you can look foward to Ozuna. Actually they're kinda similar, and that's if Ozuna's power comes around.

One of Ozuna/Marisnick is going to have to figure out something to do at the plate. I don't have a big ceiling for Ozuna really so I'm probably not going to be disappointed.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  11. canefandynasty

No one is calling Ozuna a future star, but I'd rather have him than Ruggiano for sure.
  12. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Ozuna is a very toolsy guy with a high ceiling in my opinion. Very raw talent, but as he becomes a more advanced hitter he should continue to improve. I think he is absolutely worth being excited about.

Marisnick projects very similarly but with a higher ceiling due to better tools. They are both VERY 50/50 prospects, but one of the two should work out and be a pretty good player.
  13. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I think if he had some legitimate time in Double A then came up he would be a productive hitter. As it stands he will most likely struggle.
  14. I'm excited because the Marlins and baseball are my number 1 team/sport so I'm always looking forward to it, for better or worse.

As far as my excitement for the 2014 Marlins specifically? I'm excited mostly based on the idea that since our 2013 was so bad, I wanna see how we improve this year, even if its just a minor improvement, I wanna watch it happen.

Also, whether you love or hate our offseason moves, they've definitely at least addressed our needs. I wanna know, again for better or worse, what comes of Salty, Jones, Furcal, McGee, Capps, Bogusevic, etc. If we didn't make any changes after 2013 then I wouldn't be so excited.
  15. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

or at least we'd have a little more to go on.

all that said, I'm pleased they made some moves, even if some of them are only marginal improvements. So I'm still pretty excited for marlins baseball. Pitching, new catcher, outfield, bullpen, there's enough going on to keep me interested.
  16. Erick

Erick Marlin

You said that the offense should be galvanized just by having Ozuna for a full year. While that doesn't necessarily mean that you think he'll be a future star, it sort of implies that you think he projects to be an above average offensive player this year at the very least. I don't see it.

With that said, you're absolutely right about Ozuna's defense. He was pretty fantastic in the OF last year. He can save a lot of runs with his arm.
  17. Sirspud

Sirspud Sun

I'm not excited at all.
  18. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

I'll take Ozuna over Marisnick, but I don't see either guy starting for us in 2016, and it's not because they got so good that they needed to be traded.

The lack of power from Ozuna last year was disturbing to see, and Marisnick looks completely lost at the plate despite great defense. Both guys need at least another full year in the minors.
  19. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I think that's the exact opposite of reality unless one of the two really bombs...
  20. Spike

Spike Hammerhead

You think everyone in the organization has a high ceiling.