Change background image

Jarrod Saltalamacchia signs

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Larry, Dec 3, 2013.

1. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

This is a really, really terrible argument. I think SomethingFishy could have rebutted this properly while Old Timer posted a picture of Larry Beinfest.
  2. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

I think it was less of a HR park because only Stanton and Ruggiano could hit them at home. I think Saltalamacchia will hit 15-20 homers for the Fish in 2014, even if he has to hit most of them on the road.
  3. Undakai

Undakai Sun

If it wasn't for the fact that 50% of the time the worst hitting team in the league was on one of those fields in that comparison I'd be less surprised. As it is...says a lot about our ballpark (I personally think that the concept that larger outfields = pitcher parks is kind of silly, but that's for another day).
  4. Dude, even if Salty strikeouts more than Mathis in 2014, he'll be a massive upgrade. You're so stuck on the strikeouts but you're neglecting the fact that when he doesn't strikeout, he'll be producing so much more offense than Mathis it's not even close.
  5. A man that cannot get on base in a park that punishes power. Yeah, he'll be great.

Better than Mathis is not the scale to measure a $7m/year player.
  6. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

It's not that I am stuck on the strikeouts, I fully believe he will have a drop in his production because he is not really a contact type hitter...Would him hitting .230 and 12 HRs be sufficient? That just might be possible, as well him hitting .270 with 20 homers is also a possibility, however the first is probably more likely. I wish him the best in a Marlins uniform
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  7. Because of the requirement to play 162 games
  8. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

You are right, he could hit under .250 with 10-15 homers. On the Marlins, that's good enough to bat third in the lineup.
  9. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

That's one of the better catchers in baseball, actually.
  10. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

I don't think of him as one of the better all around catchers. I think he's slightly better than average overall, but he is a HUGE upgrade for the Fish and I really like the pickup.
  11. hovertical

hovertical Hammerhead

this deal is ridiculously cheap for a VERY thin market this year. I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't 4/1. all of you folks complaining about the deal will simply never be happy with any signing. Is Salty the second coming of Pudge or even CJ? no. but he's a noticeable upgrade for the immediate team and allows Mathis to fill the role he's intended to fill. Do we have other glaring holes? of course - but this fills one of them for now. Catching is a very weak position offensively across the MLB for the most part - currently Salty is one of the better ones out there.
    Entendu likes this.
  12. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

I agree.
  13. hovertical

hovertical Hammerhead

Keith Law agreed - and pretty much echoed what some other folks on here have said = )

klawchat.jpg
  14. CajunMarlin

CajunMarlin Hammerhead

I can't believe anyone would be against this deal considering the lack of production behind the plate last year and the relatively frugality of the final numbers.
    I love it!
  15. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

Who's upset with this signing?
  16. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

If he were a star he'd have gotten over 10m. I read somewhere that a starting position player right now is averaging around 6 mil. Plus he hit 40 doubles last season too. He's going to get double-digit homers regardless but if his ISO stays relatively close, I don't care as much if a lot of it comes from doubles rather than homers. I figured someone would wildly overpay for him but this seems pretty fair.

I think Fangraphs had the going rate this offseason for a point of WAR from a free agent at around 6 mil. And look at what was out there... Navarro just got 4 mil for an okay year with the bat but he has durability questions and outside of last season basically sucked.

But granted, Mathis should not be the bar for catchers.
  17. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I'm a bit concerned about his previous averages offensively, but unfortunately this is what I would call a 'bargain' for a FA catcher who isn't terrible. Since this was a major weakness for us I don't have a problem with it.
  18. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

How can ANY true Marlins fan not like a move that improves the team? I don't EVER want to see a team as crappy as the one they put on the field last year. If they just had an average offense, they would have won 75-80 games based on how well the pitchers did.
  19. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Last year's team was more fun to watch than the 2012 team IMO.
    Piazza31 and Eddie Altamonte like this.
  20. Benched

Benched Sun

He's a catcher, usually one of the weaker offensive positions. If he hits at least .260+ at the bottom of the order and plays at least around average defense, I can more than deal with the strikeouts. Also, he called 119 games last year and the Sox were 14th in team ERA. I'm pretty excited to see what he does with our pitching.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013