Change background image

Jarrod Saltalamacchia signs

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Larry, Dec 3, 2013.

1. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

3/21 for a catcher coming off an .800+ season sounds right. Good hitting catchers are hard to find these days.
  2. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

that was my point
  3. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

not-really fun fact:

2011-2013 combined WAR
    McCann - 5.7
    Salty - 5.3

McCann's making 17m/per, Salty 7m

JUST SAYIN
  4. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Now let's sign Napoli to a two-year deal and trade Morrison and an arm for a shortstop or third baseman and call it a day.
  5. Wow. Looking at it that way, the Marlins got a potential steal here. Extremely club friendly, maybe the hometown discount was a real thing for Salty?
  6. Guys, not sure if this is true but my sources are telling me the guy who puts the names on the back of the Marlins jerseys just resigned.

Updates to come.
  7. gizmo

gizmo RALLY, BITCH

Salty is going to be our highest selling jersey next year, just to piss everyone else off.
  8. dim

BTW, Jeff Mathis can finally fill a proper role on the team. He'll likely start a fair amount of times against LHP. Salty has an .795 career OPS against RHP, .599 OPS against LHP. Mathis has a career .620 OPS against lefties, .542 OPS against lefties.

Not saying Mathis is any good hitting against righties, but his defense and ability to handle the pitching staff will still come in handy next season. A platoon sounds really nice.
    mystikol87 and Hotcorner like this.
  9. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Hoping for some credit when this is official!
  10. Well its literally a home-town discount considering the whole no state income tax thing.

But I really like this move. He's streets ahead of any other catcher in our system right now and fills a pretty massive hole. Plus his price tag doesn't really inhibit any other move. AND it allows for more flexibility in trading away Brantly, LoMo, or whoever really if the opportunity presents itself. Nothing but good things can come from this signing. No way Salty is as bad as our dynamic catching duo last year...
  11. dim

Don't get greedy. I think this signing takes us out of Napoli and likely means we'll keep Morrison and finish out by signing a 3B for cheap. Even if Morrison is traded, I think we'll go for a cost efficient option at 1B. Still have some nice trade chips that could net us somebody.
  12. Yeah to sum up what u said we can use Mathis to his strengths and hopefully cover his weaknesses. That's a deal within a deal right there.
  13. gizmo

gizmo RALLY, BITCH

14. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

Nice job by Larry announcing the signing before it was official. Good call bud
    Larry likes this.
  15. SixYearItch

SixYearItch Grasshopper

That should be the plan, though I don't think its realistic to think Napoli will sign off on 2 yrs, He's looking for 4/60 kind of deal that its seems like so far the Bosox have resisted. This is the ultimate test for Loria. Would love to then flip Lomo for a third baseman, with the super hope we're dealing with the Bosox for Middlebrooks to fill their 1st base gap with Lomo after hoping they re-up on Drew. Hope is a good thing.
  16. SixYearItch

SixYearItch Grasshopper

Greed is good! Lets see what happens, don't have to believe everything Frisaro mouths about a $45M payroll.
  17. I never doubted you Larry. Frisaro is a douche.
    mystikol87 likes this.
  18. Okay fine 3/21 is really not that bad. I thought it was going to be far worse. I still think Salty regresses but we'll get + defense out of him and .725-.750 OPS. It'll be nice to have a real catcher for once.
  19. Loria has a chance to make a couple strong moves after this. Moves that I really don't think he'll have to regret in a year like everything he did going into 2012.

Make a serious push for Napoli, use Salty as an influence, and dangle Morrison for something and I really can be excited and confident about our future.
    Wild Card likes this.
  20. gizmo

gizmo RALLY, BITCH

I'm going to expect Salty to hit his fair share of doubles in our park to compensate for the HRs he'll probably lose. No one hit doubles for us last year.