Change background image

Jose Fernandez Don’t Go Breaking My Heart

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by dom2613, Jan 27, 2014.

1. dom2613

dom2613 Hammerhead

Chris Moran

Should injury happen I just hope it's two years before we are competitive. Should we ever be competitive that is.
  2. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

We'll compete in 2015 and I support the "Please do not get injured" campaign.
  3. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

[​IMG]
  4. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

He couldn't if he tried.
    floridafly likes this.
  5. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

More like Chris Moron.
  6. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

Get a brain, MORANS !!!!
    mrchainsaw likes this.
  7. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Colin Morans?
  8. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw Baseball is stupid

I see what you did there.
  9. canefandynasty

canefandynasty Hammerhead

dat nukka don't luk 21 tho.
  10. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

My main concern is sophomore regression over injury. Eventually hitters will adjust, and it's important that he's able to adjust as well.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

His unbelievable ability to throw any of his four plus pitches in any count will allow him to never be adjusted to. That's what great pitchers can do, and if he ain't great, that rookie year was one hell if an impersonation.
  12. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I'm not all that worried, but sometimes weird stuff happens.
  13. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

I don't know where else to put this, but Braves signed Teheran to 6/$32.4.

This is what smart franchises do not to keep beating a dead horse. Marlins could probably get Fernandez right now for something like 6/$40, and I think they could get 7th and 8th year team options for $15-17 range team options after that. Same thing I keep saying with Stanton, still lets him be a free agent in his prime, and sets himself up for life 2 full seasons away from arbitration. This number is going to radically surge upwards if they don't do something. Saying that, I am not insulted if they wait until next offseason, but doing it now isn't really a negative because of course you're going to do it next offseason as long as he doesn't get hurt (I have no doubts he does not pan out).

This is of course, assuming the Marlins think Fernandez is a franchise player unlike Miguel Cabrera and Giancarlo Stanton who certainly are not franchise players...
    Hotcorner likes this.
  14. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

As you mentioned, I'm not upset letting them make Jose prove some consistency before his payday. However I agree next offseason that's a priority. Hopefully we can start this new business model under the new FO now that our revenue in the new ballpark is pretty much established.
  15. Erick

Erick Marlin

Jose Fernandez shouldn't have to prove anything else. The only thing that could potentially stop him from being great is an injury which could happen at any time. The Marlins should already be trying to do this, but they're not because they're stupid.
    pollyvonwog likes this.
  16. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

The only thing he has left to prove is consistency. That's what makes great pitchers great.

Perfect example is Josh Beckett. He can dominate any game, but every season is a question mark of what Beckett you're going to get. Considering Jose has pitched only one season, it's a legitimate concern until he does it again.

With that said, he should absolutely do it again.
  17. MarlinsLou

Historically, the price difference between giving guys the deal after 1 and 2 years is not drastic. I agree Fernandez may be a special case because he could be at the top-top end of any comparable (I'm talking Kershaw/Felix here) so maybe there is a significant value in price difference between now and 10 months, but if we're not going that far (and I don't think is necessary, based on win totals which absolutely count in arbitration hearings, as well as he probably gets shut down at 190 IP which also is not doing it over 230, etc., plus it's unlikely he improves on the era/peripherals so the Marlins do get 'something' leverage wise out of waiting even if he is still amazing at a 2.6 era or whatever), it's obviously smarter to wait a year just to see what happens/if he gets hurt as you're not risking much in a difference with the bottom line. That's why I am not "insulted" they aren't actively trying to sign him now. It's only about risk assessment and the difference between now and next year isn't very much, unlike with a guy like Stanton where last offseason and this offseason was a $30 million (at least) mistake. You get it.

But saying that, yea. I am risk-averse with him as he is incredible and would absolutely sign longterm without hesitation. They are insane if they don't get it done before spring training next year.
  18. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

yeah I don't need to see another season of Jose before I'd lock him up. I mean that wasn't a fluke. It'll never get easier than right now. The guy is insanely talented and motivated and happy-go-lucky as hell, who else do would you want as the face of your franchise?
  19. Entendu

Entendu sXe

I feel like the sooner they trade Stanton, the sooner they'll start focusing on locking Fernandez up. I refuse to believe they're dumb enough to make the same mistake THREE times.
  20. MarlinsLou

I'd raise that number. Hanley they waited to long, that should have been a year early as well. That was another no brainer. Also, arguable Uggla should have been bought out too, but he was a 50/50. I can go both ways, but a 5 year deal and getting two more years out of him (where he WAR'd 2.2 and 3.4) would have been pretty solid (and ignoring that it worked out better with Infante/Dunn anyways). And while it would have backfired, I can admit to the idea of giving Dontrelle a deal post 04/05.

But clearly Fernandez is a different animal than all of this. He is the Cabrera of pitching. Absolute no brain decision, and the fact he likes Miami, Cuban, enthusiastic….. I mean, Loria just doesn't deserve him.