Change background image

LoMo traded to Seattle

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by MrAndMrsFish, Dec 11, 2013.

1. MrAndMrsFish

MrAndMrsFish Lets Go Miami Marlins! .

per a tweet by Clark Spencer...

Marlins get RHP Carter Capps in return.
  2. Erick

Erick Marlin

Solid return.
  3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Not a strong performance in the majors last year, but seems to have a ton of potential. Probably a big upgrade over Qualls or Webb. High 90's fastball out of the back of the pen.
  4. SongInTheAir

SongInTheAir So it goes.

I thought he would bring more than that. Promising potential, but ugly MLB numbers. (Oh wait, kind of like LoMo)
  5. Retro_Marlins

Retro_Marlins Hammerhead

what a joke this front office is
  6. And the Garret Jones era begins in earnest
  7. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Capps, 23, posted a 5.49 ERA with 10.1 K/9, 3.5 BB/9 and a 40.1 percent ground-ball rate in 59 innings for the Mariners last season. Though his ERA is unsightly, Capps has averaged 96.5 mph on his fastball in his brief big league career. xFIP pegs a fluky homer-to-flyball ratio (18.8 percent) and a .365 batting average on balls in play as the reason for Capps' woes, suggesting that an ERA of 3.53 would've been more representative of his work in 2013.
    cdy_0513 likes this.
  8. miamimarlinsrjp

miamimarlinsrjp Muckdog

So no third baseman :confused:
  9. This guy could easily become a closer.. That BB rate needs to come down and in marlins park no way that 18% HR/FB sticks.

Perhaps they plan to trade Cishek now?
  10. Erick

Erick Marlin

People expecting a starting 3B for Logan Morrison were delusional.
    pollyvonwog likes this.
  11. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

That's a nice return, but couldn't they have just kept Webb instead?

I also love how they kept saying they wanted a third baseman, even though we all knew that wasn't going to happen.
  12. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

Bizarre return for how adamant the ball club was for a 3rd baseman in return
  13. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

They do that all the time though.
  14. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Bullpen arms are so f***ing volatile. I wish they would've given LoMo another year rather than back themselves up into a corner by signing Jones. Jones isn't some all-star for them to have to jump on him like they did.
    MrMarlinPride likes this.
  15. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I don't hate this trade on our end.

I don't really understand this for the Mariners. They now have three 1B and Safeco isn't exactly the best park for LoMo's approach. Would have been a much better fit for the Brewers.
    SilverBullet1929 likes this.
  16. Webb is terrible. He got lucky last year and his ERA is the only # that looks good. It is extremely unlikely he has similar results in 2014. This guy is pretty big upgrade over Webb although I still don't see the point of trading Lomo to begin with.
  17. Just seems like the M's are so dead set on getting bats that they'll take whatever they can get and hope something works. And with Cano its almost an urgent win-now scenario. So they'll hope one of those 1Bs work out.
  18. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

Big arm and he's only 23. That shows you people weren't offering up a lot for him though.
    That K/BB ratio was approaching 3:1 last season despite the hits.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  19. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Apparently he has trouble getting lefties out.
  20. I'm actually impressed that we got Capps for lomo. But like I said, signing Jones and trading lomo is just stupid to begin with