Change background image

LoMo traded to Seattle

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by MrAndMrsFish, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

First of all I do understand them, and I can care less if you believe me or not. Second of all I disagree with the entire method of war. You can't quantify on paper how many more wins one player is worth over an other. Third of all, there are different war methods. Fangraphs has one method and baseball reference has another. I'm sure there might even be others out there. If it was a reliable stat you would be able to get the same War in each method, but that is not what happens. Each method has different wars for each player. Use on base percentage as an example. Fangraphs and baseball reference wouldn't come up with a different on base percentage for the same player because it is a quantifiable and reliable stat. The player came to bat X amount of times and got on base X amount of times. It's that simple. Lastly, WAR takes heavily into account fielding metrics. All fielding metrics are flawed. There is no precise way to quantify on a stat sheet a players defensive worth. There are just to many variables in each play that happens on the field (which I assume you don't watch) to measure defense as a metric.
  2. gizmo

gizmo RALLY, BITCH

3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

mystikol87 likes this.
  4. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Thank God I didn't buy that LoMo jersey in 2012. :(
  5. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

he's a good guy. Hoping he's able to stay healthy with the Mariners & that the trade works out for both teams.

Refreshing to see a guy not feel the need to rip the Marlins (front office, fans, whatever) after departing.
  6. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

Great... now after reading that, i'll miss Lomo.. ugh
    pollyvonwog and Hotcorner like this.
  7. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

He walked too much. Good riddance. He should have swung the bat more. Jeremy Hermida 2.0
    Blahbity blah.
  8. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

First: "couldn't care less."

Second: That's entirely conclusory.

Third: So? It's definitely not the case that it has to be totally consistent. Scientific studies, for example, can get different values. It doesn't make them useless. And offensive WAR is very similar, since I believe that most (all?) of the inputs are static. Also, as EricWeiner said, the correlations are really strong.

Fourth: congratulations, something that actually makes sense! You still don't make any real arguments about why fielding methods are flawed. Such arguments do exist and are somewhat persuasive. But they're not out of thin air, and they are typically a solid estimate. Also, methods are improving. And they are far more correlated with wins than errors, for sure.
    BenderRobot likes this.
  9. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Classy ending to his time here, nice to see him be so forward as always. I'm wishing him the best, although I don't think Safeco is a great fit for him offensively. But I hope he cranks.
  10. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

LoMo is a good dude
  11. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

The Mariners come to Miami in april.. So we'll see our old pal.
  12. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Like I said, the Loria and company hate LoMo stuff was exaggerated.
  13. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

We fans sometimes really suck... A class individual like LoMo comes once a generation on a baseball team...He loved the fans and was great for the fans...I hope the Marlins remember this day forever and get to regret this day forever... I hope he becomes everything that was expected of him and more...Are The Marlins a better team after this trade, I do not believe so... Capps may earn a Bullpen spot and is a power arm but he is also not without warts. He absolutely got hit around quite a bit
    Marlins Park may actually end up being to his advantage. At this moment I see him as a 7th inning setup guy at best... Capps still has a lot of growing up to do before he can be anything more than that...And with the pitching depth the Marlins have in the minors time is not on his side
    This Marlins FO is certainly allowing themselves a lot of risks in the decisions they are making
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  14. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Just saying, it's ... it's Capps. With an S.

This will probably be a wait-n-see trade, but will we regret it? Probably not.
    pollyvonwog likes this.
  15. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I agree. I don't think it would be fair to expect LoMo to ever reach his potential at Marlins Park. He's just not the kind of hitter that is going to succeed here.

I do think, as much as I hate the moves, the team is improved short term. Being a pull hitter, Jones is actually the kind of left-handed power bat that should be able to succeed at Marlins Park. He also stays healthy. Pairing him with a nice platoon partner should make for a more productive first base than LoMo alone next season.

So, do I think we've gotten better? Yes. Do I think we sold REALLY low on Logan Morrison? Yes, I do. They should have given him one more year to increase his value or fall on his face. What's the worst that could have happened, really? I guess I can't be mad that this front office is actually trying to win more games now, because that's what it's all about...
  16. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

It should always be about winning more games now. They were going to have trouble putting butts in the seats in 2014 if they rolled with the same roster they had this year. And as much as I blast Loria for being cheap, I know that he will spend money in July and August if the team has a shot at the playoffs, which he has proven.
  17. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I actually agree with your entire post. Kudos.
    Backin2008 likes this.
  18. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

See, we actually can play nice! LOL!
  19. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

He'll have to get his Twitter handle changed to LoMoMariners now.
    Backin2008 likes this.