Change background image

LoMo traded to Seattle

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by MrAndMrsFish, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

If Dietrich doesn't play 120 games, then the bet is void if that's cool with you. Apparently that's the magic number. Between 2B and 3B, he should probably hit that number.

And I am absolutely fine with being overly optimistic. I'm not blind, I understand my predictions generally favor our team and players, I am cool with my teal colored glasses. I feel sorry for those of you that can't feel the same way. Must be a sad existence.
  2. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Not a sad existence at all. That's quite pessimistic, actually, for you to say that. And a bit dickish. "Think like me or you live a sad life."
  3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I am fine with a difference in opinion here and there. It's the people that can't seem to find anything positive about any situation, or any player, that I feel sorry for. Must be boring, always assuming and/or expecting the worst.
  4. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

It's just being realistic, though. Not at all boring.
    We'd like something to be more optimistic about, though. Which I am, I like our future. This season, I'm optimistic it'll be better than 2013 by a good number of games, but we're not going to the playoffs or anything. Realism.
  5. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Like you, my existence is also validated by my perception of a baseball team's players!
  6. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Yes, because I meant for anyone to take my comment on a baseball message board that literal.
  7. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

That's exactly what happened.
  8. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

If you don't think that Zack Cox has the potential to be a decent baseball player, you lead a hopeless and empty life.
  9. Undakai

Undakai Sun

dude, everyone knows the Internet is serious business. That meme's almost as old as dialup. Get with the program.
  10. Undakai

Undakai Sun

I see him as a perennial AAA player, and but then again there is a hole where my soul should be, filled with darkness and despair. /:emo: (I guess these days it would be more appropriate to say #emo?)
  11. Entendu

Entendu sXe

I feel sorry for you
  12. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I don't think we'll be better by a good number of games. How many wins do you predict?
  13. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Around 70. That would be "a good number of games," I think.
  14. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Is it bad that I still think we won't crack 70 wins? Off season isn't over yet but I'm not sure we're going to do much else other than acquiring a 3rd baseman.
  15. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

It's a plausible thought, definitely. Nothing wrong with thinking we'd not crack 70 wins.
  16. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I think that all of the moves that the Marlins have made this offseason don't give much of a net gain in wins. Salty maybe added 2-3 wins, but I don't think that the other guys will contribute anything measurable, especially if they start Garrett Jones against LHP.

For the team to improve drastically from 2013, a lot of the guys will need to step of their game from last season. Offensively, the only guys I can really see improving much are Yelich and Stanton. That is assuming of course that Stanton stays healthy and isn't traded by the deadline.
  17. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

This is the way I see it, too. Stanton and Salty should net an improvement. We'll see on Yelich but considering his prospect status as well as his time in the minors it would be reasonable to assume he'll be an upgrade over our LF production from last season. Other than them 3, the rest of the starters suck just as bad as our starters from last season.

This is also assuming our pitching will perform as well as it did last season. I think the bullpen will perform well but I'm not sure about the rotation.
  18. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I think we could potentially see at least a one game improvement in LF. Even if Yelich maintains his previous stat line, it would be an upgrade from the -1 wins the Marlins got from Coghlan and Pierre combined.

The pitching is difficult for me to project. I think Alvarez will regress because that HR/FB rate was crazy even for Marlins Park.
  19. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

The pitching staff is really young, but they have the potential to be a huge asset for the team moving forward. If Alvarez and Turner step up their games in 2014, I think the Marlins are going to have a solid front four in the starting rotation. I like the bullpen and I think they can add another couple of cheap arms for the front end of the pen in free agency. They might find a nugget like Qualls was last year for them. But, I don't think the offense has improved too much. Sure, they filled black holes at catcher and 2B for 2014, but they really need a legit major league 3B for this year. It will be fun to watch the outfield though, especially if Ozuna can rake like he did when he first came up. I think the Marlins will be improved in 2014 in their play on the field, but that doesn't mean that they will get out of the basement in the N.L. East.
  20. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

The Furcal signing is far from filling a black hole at 2B.