Change background image

Mark Trumbo

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Wild Card, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb/rumors/post?id=8914

He's arbitration eligible for the first time this winter, just like LoMo, and they're in need of pitching. Maybe a Lomo + Starting Pitcher (Any prospect but Heaney?) for Trumbo could happen? Most of our arms are near MLB ready.

LoMo can plug any hole on the Angels Trumbo can except for 3B, and obviously his upside is well worth it if they can get the pitching they covet, which we clearly have...

Maybe this move is counter productive considering LoMo's career OPS is .764 and Trumbo's is .768? I would hate to see LoMo leave only to have a huge year when healthy, but Trumbo is simply the established player and I'd be willing to give up an arm to add the power.
  2. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

It would be a nice power upgrade. Be a push just about everywhere else [defense, speed].

LoMo has the better eye as Trumbo K'd a ton last year [184 in 159 games], but, IDK. This would be ... an interesting situation, to say the least. Doesn't necessarily have to be an upper level pitching prospect that we give up. If they're really desperate, maybe we could get something more out of them than just Trumbo.

I'm not sure. It's not the best idea, but not the worst, either.
  3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Yea, I kind of struggled with the same thing you are.

You sacrifice that patience LoMo offers, but you pretty much get the guaranteed power that's really needed, and LoMo may or may not provide. I figured if they wanted a ML arm Tom Koehler could probably lock up a deal. If they wanted a prospect, any of Flynn, DeSclafani, Nicolino would probably suffice as well... And I'd be OK with that.

Like I said, it may end up being counter productive, but at least it looks like they're trying. And you bring in a guy that has proven success for a guy that might have success. But imagine Yelich hitting third, Stanton fourth, Trumbo fifth... that'd be fun to watch. Stanton & Trumbo literally might have the most raw power from the right side in the game.
  4. Vince0926

Vince0926 Hammerhead

We talk talk talk. And I like to think a lot of the people on this board use common sense and are really smart and can actually work the front office. Loria and FO don't have this ability. Because at the end based on last year lomo will get traded to so and so for first baseman smelly schmuckatelly, a low A prospect.

So yes I'm all for this trade but these goofs won't think about it....until....they spend the money
    1 person likes this.
  5. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I mean, the difference between LoMo and Trumbo's salaries will only be like $1-2 Million next year, and the year after that. If this trade isn't conceived it's not because of money.
  6. Erick

Erick Marlin

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, but they should trade for Trumbo. Not only should they trade for Trumbo, but they should make a trade for every single hitter that the Angels are making available.
  7. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I could do without Peter Bourjos. But Trumbo would be nice.
  8. Erick

Erick Marlin

Their catchers are available, Kendrick is available and I think Aybar is available, as well. Although no need for Aybar because we have Adeiny!!!

Edit: Based on rumors anyway. I'm guessing they wouldn't trade all of their position players. Either way, lets get a couple...
  9. Vince0926

Vince0926 Hammerhead

Do whatever you want. I just want to see results. Playoff results. I dont give a crap about these high year tenured non playoff teams like royals and blue jays. The marlins are my team and I don't care if we get a goof from the angels. I want results. Tired of waiting for 10 years.
  10. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Trumbo is more of a DH than a first baseman, I don't think it makes sense. You're better off giving LoMo a shot for a full healthy season, and I guess you can just non-tender him if you want at the end of the year if it doesn't work.
  11. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Trumbo can hit for power at least, something LoMo struggles to do and at a power position.
  12. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

on the other hand, LoMo is one of the few hitters in the lineup with any patience at all. Outside of Yelich, everyone else is swing & miss...

ugh, we're just badly in need of any kind of offensive help whatsoever...
  13. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

That's true but maybe our new hitting coach can help with that.
  14. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I just want people who can get on base, something we were the worst in the league at last year.
  15. Vince0926

Vince0926 Hammerhead

]
    I just want people who can get on base, something we were the worst in the league at last year.[/quote]

And that's the answer to our problems. People who get on base = better chances for a win. Well said, friend.
  16. Erick

Erick Marlin

Yeah, you're right. We don't need power.

We need Logan Morrison and his .330 .OBP with no power.

Also, Trumbo has rather consistently been rated as a + defensively at 1B. The reason why his career defensive #'s look worse is because the Angels have tried him in the OF and at 3B to get his bat in the lineup.

The real turd/DH is Logan Morrison.
  17. The_Punisher

The_Punisher The Runner

Are the Angels having a firesale?
  18. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

Fish have shown interest in Trumbo in the past so definitely something to consider.

I'd like Chris Ianetta too.
  19. Kevin Clements

Kevin Clements Muckdog

If it's a normal organization $ 1-2 million is no big deal, but we are talking about the Marlins, and Loria. That represents a larger percentage of our budgeted payroll than normal teams and Loria is trying to squeeze as much out of the Marlins as he can.

It makes sense and would be fun to watch, but lets be real - we all know Stanton is being traded by mid-season next year (Boston is making noise they want him and we all know he's expressed his love for the Dodgers) and now Loria has a new "face of the franchise" in José Fernandez who is also a Cuban-American. Stanton is not necessary now.
  20. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

If it's a normal organization $ 1-2 million is no big deal, but we are talking about the Marlins, and Loria. That represents a larger percentage of our budgeted payroll than normal teams and Loria is trying to squeeze as much out of the Marlins as he can.

It makes sense and would be fun to watch, but lets be real - we all know Stanton is being traded by mid-season next year (Boston is making noise they want him and we all know he's expressed his love for the Dodgers) and now Loria has a new "face of the franchise" in José Fernandez who is also a Cuban-American. Stanton is not necessary now.

I'm not disagreeing that the marlins might trade stanton, but he is a big part of this teams core. He is needed.