Change background image

Mark Trumbo

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Wild Card, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Middlebrooks at 3B, Trumbo at 1B.

Again, still kind of redundant. Trading for Trumbo or Middlebrooks to add to the lineup with LoMo makes sense IMO. To remove LoMo and add both of them seems like making moves just to make moves. LoMo has about as much upside as both of those players except he's left handed. Might as well try and hang on to him and add one more guy at third.

I actually think Middlebrooks will make more sense, he's a natural Third Baseman and will probably require less to pick up. He's also younger and under control longer. The downside is he's probably just not as good a hitter as Trumbo, but he's got a bunch of potential. Either way I'd probably be excited with either of those names...
  2. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

From Jim Bowden:

I would hate to lose Ramos, and Turner is good and all, but... I would definitely make that deal. Ramos had a fine rookie year, but he is replaceable and Turner is certainly replaceable with the arms we have coming. Works for both franchises.
  3. Entendu

Entendu sXe

I don't think Turner is worth that much right now. Maybe Alvarez and his irrelevant no hitter might actually get them to bite. I wouldn't trade Eovaldi though.
  4. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

I would keep Turner, we'd be trading at a low point and I think he will improve.
  5. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

I think I'd do that, yeah. Gotta hope Flynn is good to go for next year to replace Turner, but I think so. Could maybe see this lineup opening day:

LF Yelich / Hech SS / Morrison 1B / Stanton RF / Trumbo 3B / Ozuna CF / Dietrich 2B / Fernandez P / Mathis C

Yep. Fernandez > Mathis.

I don't want Hech batting 2nd, but it helps the lineup more, IMO, with Ozuna batting in the middle rather than up top.

Rotation: Fernandez, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Rotating Door between Flynn, Hand, Koehler.

I guess?

IDK. I'll analyze this later.
  6. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Well, Bowden being a guy looking from the outside in at the Marlins... If the thinks it's a deal that could get done, maybe Turner is worth more than some assume. Also, that's not just for Turner. Ramos is arguably worth as much as Turner. He has what, five or six years of club control left? That's a good deal for both sides.
  7. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Koehler probably would stick for the 4th slot and then that 5th spot would rotate until Heaney is ready mid-season.
  8. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I'd be cool with that lineup, as long as another catcher is starting. Could be any other starting catcher in MLB and I'm cool, lol.
  9. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

John Buck?
  10. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Totally fine with that. Night and day. You never know what you got til it's gone.
  11. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Let's just say Mathis for now. I doubt it'll be Brantly.
  12. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

At this point, since most of the realistic names we have thrown around have already signed, I'm hoping for Dioner Navarro. He's the most realistic budget wise, a ton of upside, and Mathis will still get on the field 50-70 times.
  13. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

No thanks on Navarro.
  14. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

He had the highest OPS of any catcher in the big leagues (with 250+ PA) not named Joe Mauer. What would be the downside? Mathis could get enough AB's to keep Navarro healthy, and he will be cheap.
  15. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Ugh, trading Turner and Ramos for Trumbo is a dumb idea. He's not worth that kind of package. I would rather trade them lower-level guys (3 or so), since they have a very light farm system these days. It might be doable.
  16. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I think the whole idea of them trading Trumbo is to get Major League READY pitching. I think Turner/Ramos is a fair package, honestly. A top bullpen arm cheap for years, 3-to-5 starter in Turner also cheap for years. We have enough arms coming up to replace both and insert a 30 homer, 100 RBI bat into the lineup. I'm all for it.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  17. Piazza31

Piazza31 Pr*ck

I would do that Turner trade, even though it might hurt us long term (he's still a decent pitching arm). Especially if we can sign Trumbo to an extension. Ramos is nice but he's a luxury at this point and we need to sell that off a bit to pay our "Power" bills.

I also would mind seeing if we can trade Lomo for Middlebrooks as well. As much as Lomo is likeable by some here, his power won't ever play in Marlins park. Atleast Trumbo's might.

If we can get a Starting 3B for Lomo then I'm all for it. Adding Middlebrooks and Trumbo to this lineup will give it SOME credibility, where as right now it looks like something we might have gotten on sale at Costco.

Moving Lomo and getting both Trumbo and Middlebrooks may be like making moves to just make moves, but Lomo will NEVER be a .300 hitter with 20 HR's playing in Marlins park. The Red Sox may trade for him to fill Napoli's 1B job or to play DH as well. Middlebrooks may be in AAA next year from what I've read.
  18. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

The big thing with the Sox is if the bring back Stephen Drew. If they do, Boegarts moves to third and your Middlebrooks/LoMo swap makes sense for both teams. The big problem with that is reports are saying it's very unlikely the Sox resign Drew for that exact reason... The have Boegarts ready to replace Drew.
  19. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

You've been reading too many Wild Card posts. Hechavarria had a .267 OBP last season. That's a 7th spot hitter at very best even in a s***ty Marlins lineup.
  20. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I think people here are overrating Trumbo because of his home runs. In reality he's a 2.0-2.5 WAR player. You don't trade a good pitching prospect and a solid bullpen arm away for that, especially considering that he's going to be way overvalued in arbitration.
    Nny likes this.