Change background image

Mark Trumbo

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Wild Card, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Nobody would be ideal to hit second in that lineup. Luckily you get 162 games to figure it out... I would probably give the #2 hole ab's to Ozuna over Hech to start the year and go from there.
  2. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I guess if you're cool with being a sub-.500 team.
  3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

So you would prefer Juan Uribe over Mark Trumbo? You can't make moves based on one statistic.
  4. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

I did say I didn't want Hech up top, either. I guess Ozuna at #2 with Dietrich at #6 wouldn't be horrendificous, either.
  5. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

And I'm gonna back out of this.
  6. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I don't know why I bother because your line-up proposals never make any sense, but with the aforementioned group of players, it would make much more sense to hit Morrison 2nd and Stanton 3rd.
  7. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

And I'm back in.
    I'm not a fan of two straight lefties, personally, especially at the top of the lineup. But, at the same time, why not?
    LF Yelich / 1B Morrison / RF Stanton / 3B Trumbo / CF Ozuna / 2B Dietrich / SS Hech / C Whoever / Pitchers

OK, yeah, why not?
  8. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

That's the way I would do it as well.
    Are you saying Mathis would be a better choice than many of the options we have on the FA or trade market?
  9. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

How about neither? It depends on how much Loria is willing to spend. I do not support trading away young arms to acquire overvalued players who probably still won't produce a winning team.
  10. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Having two lefties in a row makes a ton more sense than batting a guy with a .267 OBP second.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Again, I agree with you, break up the lefties whenever you can. Again, this is baseball, you get 162 times to figure it out. How many lineups did Red use in 2013? Seriously... how many?
    If you're all about WAR, what's wrong with Uribe's 5.3 WAR in 2013?
    I do agree with this, actually.
  12. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I'm saying that if you factor in any catcher that the Marlins could conceivably acquire, that's still a sub .500 lineup.
  13. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Are you expecting this team to improve by 20 games over one year, though?
    I mean, it's possible, but not plausible with this team just yet.
  14. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Christian Yelich
    Dioner Navarro
    Giancarlo Stanton
    Logan Morrison
    Mark Trumbo
    Derek Dietrich
    Marcell Ozuna
    Adeiny Hechavarria
    P

Barring health, that could be a .500+ team with our pitching. It could also suck. But that's a real lineup...
  15. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Come on, now. He's had an injury history and was absolutely terrible when healthy in 2011 and 2012. It's fine if he's dirt cheap, but he won't be. Some team will be dumb enough to overpay based upon those 2013 numbers.
  16. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

That's a pretty lousy line-up actually. It's no reasonable to assume that Navarro is going to repeat what he did 2013 based upon his track record. He's a back-up catcher basically.
  17. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I'd be all for Middlebrooks if the Red Sox would take this same trade proposal btw. Bill James has him having a big time season, 32 HR.
  18. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I would agree that it's a high risk, high reward lineup. I wouldn't say it's lousy. A lot of talented guys in that order, if all falls into place you could have a winning team. If all doesn't fall into place, you still suck, just not as much as last year.
  19. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

It's far too optimistic to expect everyone to either meet their potential or match what they have done in career high seasons. You are pretty much counting on that.
  20. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I was just about to post something similar... initially I was warm to the idea of trading for him (not for that deal necessarily) but worried maybe I'm overvaluing him somewhat. Is he a natural 3b? He's barely played there at all over the past 3 years and even at 1b he's not plus defensively. And still sub .800 ops despite the homers, that's not easy to do. I dunno, AJ Ramos is going to be reaaaallly useful here over the next few years.

Plus it's doubtful they'd extend him anyway.