Change background image

Mark Trumbo

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Wild Card, Oct 30, 2013.

1. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I wouldn't want the Marlins to extend Trumbo anyway, because he'll likely demand more than he's actually worth.
  2. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

In all fairness, just about everything has to go right for most playoff teams... That's usually what puts them in the post-season. I'm not disagreeing with you.

If all goes well, that could be a winning team. If it went both ways, could be close to .500. If everyone bombs and they can't stay healthy, it's a 90 loss team. Still an improvement... They need to do something.
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I'd take Trumbo but not for Turner and Ramos. He is a plus defender at first and I think he would be a decent stop gap until we can find a long term starter there.

Does anyone else think there is the potential for Trumbo to pull a Chris Davis and just start smashing?
  4. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Trumbo's been smashing, though. But I suppose if he gets 53 pitches to his liking, then sure.
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I didn't mean smashing as in just home runs. I meant overall as a batter.
  6. Nny

Nny JohNNY

If we're making a trade with the Angels, I'd much rather trade for their MI's rather than Trumbo. Kendrick and Aybar are both solid players (hell, Kendrick is just as good of a hitter as Trumbo, but plays plus defense at a premium position) and signed to decent contracts, AFAIK they're available, and LoMo has a lot better potential to break out over our current MI guys.

It's a complete Madden trade, but if the Angel's were to go firesale it'd be pretty awesome to just pluck their IF. Kendrick/Aybar/Conger/Trumbo and our offense and defense improve significantly. But we're talking about a starting point of something like one of Alvarez/Turner/Eovaldi, Nicolini, and a second teir arm (Conley/Flynn/Hand/DeSomethingorother) and that is a lot of pitching to give up plus then some for a bunch of guys only controlled for ~3 years. I think we'd be instant contenders though. Our IF with Dietrich on 3rd would be above average, our OF would be above average, and our pitching should be above average. But alas, Madden trade...
  7. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

The Angels aren't going to have a firesale. They have too much invested in Pujols, Hamilton and some other guys. They do need starting pitching, but I think they are aiming higher than Turner or Eovaldi for him.
  8. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I bet they only go small, more like Bourjos and/or Iannetta. Course depends on what kind of pitcher they want back...
  9. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Eovaldi would be aiming pretty high... I could understand they may want a better arm than Turner, though.
  10. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

That's not really true at all. Most playoff caliber teams have some room for error.

You are basically unreasonably counting on people to either break out or perform at their career bests just to field a winning team.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Again I disagree, people viewed the Nats as baseballs best team going to this season. Things did not go as planned, they finished well behind expectations and missed the post season. Red Sox and Cards had everyone perform at a top level and look what happened...
  12. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Teams don't meet expectations all of the time. That has little to do with everything going right or wrong.
  13. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I agree, teams rarely meet expectations all the time. Usually about 10 per year do... The ones that MAKE the post season usually have things go right.
  14. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Or that people set their expectations for certain players irrationally high, as you tend to do.
  15. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I don't have irrational expectations for anybody. I don't predict Stanton to hit 60 home runs and I haven't said Yelich is willing any batting titles. But if you think any team in baseball is built to make the post season even if most things go wrong, you're foolish. The Yankees were a strong team, injuries piled up, oh look they missed the post-season. The Nats were literally pegged the best team in baseball pre-season, they fell short of expectations on the field and they barely had a winning record. Things must go right in order for ANY team to succeed. The '03 Marlins are a great example, a lot had to go right for that to happen...
  16. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Disasters can happen to otherwise playoff contending teams, sure, but you are assuming that an obscene number of pieces fall into place for the line-up listed above to be decent.
  17. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Again, I don't disagree with that, either. There would be a huge margin for performance with that lineup... They could bomb, they could excel, or they could fall somewhere in between. Usually the latter is what to expect... that would probably be a lineup that would help us improve to be a .500 team. I'll take that coming off a 100 loss season, honestly.
  18. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

You are acting like there is more of a possibility of the pieces falling together than there really is. I'm curious to know what kinds of OPS numbers you think guys like Ozuna, Dietrich, Navarro, and Hechavarria would be putting up.
  19. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

20. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

What if we substitute Salty for Navarro?