Change background image

Mark Trumbo

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Wild Card, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Averages work just fine.

His walk rate is your only argument but you brush over his power. You can't just say he has power like it's nothing. That's a big deal for a second baseman.
  2. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Why do they work just fine? Averages don't give you a full distribution of the league's performance. It gives you a number that can be skewed in one direction. It's more important to judge a player's ability based upon where he ranks with respect to the rest of baseball. I never even look at league averages--those can be inflated by 1 or 2 players with super high walk rates. This is statistics 101 here.

I have acknowledged his power, but you and Wild Card are overvaluing it. It's really the only thing he brings to the table. That's the point I'm making. The power is decent, but he's a pretty unexciting player when you realize that his walk rate is bad, his strikeout rate is bad, and his defense (particularly range) is bad. He's basically the Mike Jacobs of second basemen.
  3. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

I'm starting to think that there is one evil genius behind this account, wildcard, and penguino.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I've acknowledged his poor K rate and defense. I agreed with you there. I'm taking about his bat, though. That's what has me high on Dietrich.

I think you're over reacting on his walk rate and you aren't really taking into account his power. Simply mentioning doesn't mean anything. You called it above average when his ISO ranked third among second baseman with 230 PAs. That's not just above average. Far above it.

There's also the fact that he's hit well in every level In the minor leagues and plays a position that really doesn't demand much hitting.
  5. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

He's at least mildly interesting because middle infielder with power.

I'm not going to discard him because he had a poor batting average for 2+ months when he probably shouldn't have been up yet anyway. He's far from a sure thing but he's certainly worth watching. All we can say is at 23 he hadn't shown much plate discipline, this is not an uncommon thing. Uggla didn't show any signs of drawing walks at that age either. It may or may not improve but if the power sticks he only needs marginal BB% improvement. Defense might be another issue but let's let it play out a bit.
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Apparently he isn't mildly interesting to most posters. At least from what I've seen. More people seem to think he isn't anything to get excited about.
  7. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Glad to see I'm not blind.
    Again, this was really my point. I'm not making him out to be this super prospect... But he's absolutely someone that should be given an opportunity and our fan base should be pretty excited about him. If he fails... Oh well. But a lot of positives.

Btw,I understand he hasn't done it consistently, but his .384 OBP in double-A this year sure was encouraging to say the least. Progress maybe? Do prospects get better?
  8. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. The bad walk rate and the bad strikeout rate basically means that he has no plate discipline. He's going to have troubling getting on base because of that and will likely see his power numbers drop when opposing pitchers realize that he will likely swing at anything.

I "mention" he has decent power, because he does. I don't know what more you expect me to say. He has above average power for his position but that's kind of the only thing he can do as a player (hence why he's the 2B version of Mike Jacobs), and that could drop too on account of his bad plate discipline.

His minor league numbers are respectable but far from stellar. You need to look beyond the HR totals and OPS and consider has complete lack of discipline. The peripherals indicate that he will have trouble surviving in the big leagues.

And again, his power is only good for a 2B because he shouldn't be a 2B.
  9. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

It's not difficult to understand what I said. Saying he only has decent power isn't accurate. It's much more than decent. You're not rating that part of his game highly enough. The part that makes me a player some feel we should keep an eye on.

Looking at the fact that he has a 6% walk rate and thinking that it can't improve enough to make him a good hitter is my problem here. I think you're overstating that weakness. I see no reason to see why he can't post a respectable BB% to make him a good hitter. He improved in Double A. You can look at it as an anomaly or him improving his plate discipline.
  10. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

In June and July, Dietrich barely hit .200 before he was sent back to AA. 21 of his 46 hits were for extra bases, so you are right about his power. But, if you hit .214 with 11 walks and 56 whiffs in 215 ABs, major league pitchers are going to get you out most of the time. It's hard to defend a .275 OBP.
  11. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

The difference between "decent" and "more than decent" power is trivial once you understand that's his only plus attribute and that it's likely to diminish on account of his terrible plate discipline when he faces more major league pitching.

As for the walk rate, there is nothing showing improvement outside of the stint in the minors after his demotion this season. His major and minor league track record as a whole shows horrible plate discipline--that easily trumps what he did in a somewhat brief time in AA in 2013. The numbers are rather conclusive on this and there's nothing in the peripheral data indicating that he's likely to improve. If you think that the BB% is going to improve in the majors, you will have to provide more evidence.
  12. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I would rather end this debate here. I find him a prospect to be excited about. If he has a chance to start this season and improves, we will see what he does with it.
  13. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Which you can't ignore. It's his most recent performance and he didn't just improve his plate discipline, it looked like his strength rather than his weakness. I agree his past doesn't suggest he'll keep that up, but players do improve...
  14. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

If you want to analyze the numbers responsibly, you can definitely bracket that as an outlier because it is far removed from the rest of his career numbers at every level of professional baseball. The sample size is also incredibly small. His K% rate also didn't drop at all, either, which suggests to me that he didn't improve his discipline and that the BB% is more likely a fluke.
  15. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Why do we suck so much?
  16. Entendu

Entendu sXe

And more importantly, why is every thread a Derek Dietrich analysis thread now?
  17. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Because Wild Card thinks he's the next big thing!
  18. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I guess Dietrich should be considered among the ranks of Keys and Cox now. It would be nice to have to explain to Wild Card for once why he's underrating a player instead of overrating one.
  19. Giancarlo Stanton

Giancarlo Stanton Grasshopper

Trumbo is a very nice player; I would love to make this move happen.
  20. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Being optimistic about my favorite team is simply more exciting than being negative. And many here other than myself also agree, Derek Dietrich IS a player to be a excited about. If you disagree, good for you, continue to sulk about our dim future as a franchise... That sounds like fun...