Change background image

Marlins Designate Kyle Skipworth

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by floridafly, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Yep. This is no loss!
  2. Bret Hart

Bret Hart ↑This girl make me sick

Who Cares?
  3. Wow. He was compared to Mauer. Just wow.
  4. Entendu

Entendu sXe

:'(
  5. fanofthefish

fanofthefish The Grinch's Biggest Fan

I still remember him being the Gatorade high school player, what more could you have asked for a lefty hitting catcher with some pop?
    Too bad the Marlins screwed up in his development so badly when they skipped over Jupiter. Sadly he may still be a part of the organization despite his being taken off of the 40 man.
  6. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

I don't know about The Marlins botching Skipworth's development...He has just been atrocious at every level he has played as a professional. He had 1 good power year...This egg has been stinking it up for some time now...Good riddance!
  7. Giancarlo Stanton

Giancarlo Stanton Grasshopper

Skip is just bad. Don't read much into "Botched development".
  8. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

It took him three years to clear A ball, because he was hitting around .200. Just a horrible, horrible bust. Unfortunately that draft was terrible, so it's not like we missed much that was picked after him.

Just a reminder that he went to Beinfest's high school.
  9. DcFishFan

DcFishFan Hammerhead

Yes, not a great draft but instead of Skipworthless, Beinfest could've drafted all-stars Jason Castro, Wade Miley or Lance Lynn. I also would have been happy with local products Alex Avila or Yonder Alonso, or others like Brett Lawrie or Craig Kimbrel...
  10. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

I'm sure you would've known who to pick beforehand.
    MrMarlinPride and cdy_0513 like this.
  11. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Yeah none of those guys were the kind of players people thought would be good beforehand.
  12. DcFishFan

DcFishFan Hammerhead

disagree: Yonder Alonso was very highly touted and picked right after Skipworth. I don't remember the buzz about the others but most of those guys were either 1st rounders or supplemental picks.

Not saying I would have known who to pick beforehand, but I'm not getting paid to scout these guys. Also, I was rebutting Future's claim that "it's not like we missed much that was picked after him." Clearly, we missed a lot of players picked after Skipworth.
  13. DcFishFan

DcFishFan Hammerhead

Beinfest gets a lot of grief for having so many 1st round misses. He did miss a lot, no question. Since he became GM in 2002, he picked the following guys in the 1st and Supplemental rounds:
    Hits:
    Yelich, J. FERNANDEZ
    Misses:
    Hermida, Allison, Tankersley, Volstad, Thompson, Marceaux, Tucker, West, Sinkbeil, Coghlan, Dominguez, Skipworth
    ?:
    C James, Heaney, Moran
    ALL CAPS = All Star

This seems to be a pretty awful success rate. But does anyone know how this compares to the 1st rounds for other GMs?
  14. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

I wouldn't put Dominguez in the "misses" category. He is starting for the Astros, and had a decent rookie season. He might never be an All Star but he will be a useful major league ball player.
  15. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

To be fair, from what I remember, Skipworth was also very highly touted. Just hasn't panned out yet. Maybe he never will, maybe he's just a late bloomer/slow learner. Right now the best I can say about him is that he is following his dream, and there is nothing wrong with that.
  16. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Hammerhead

I wouldn't put Coghlan in the "miss" category either.
    Kid gets drafted, hits around .300 and OPS over .800 in three years of minor leagues, even shows a little power.
    His fourth year he is crushing it, gets called up and continues to crush. Hits .321, OPS .850, wins ROY.
    After that he tanks for whatever reason, how can you put that on the guy who drafted him?

FYI, I'm not a fan of Bienfest.
  17. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Coghlan was clearly never the same after the pie incident. Blaming him for Coghlan's demise is completely unfair.

It's easy though to say things after the fact.
    cdy_0513 likes this.
  18. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

Let's compare him to OMG Billy Beane Mr. Money Ball himself. I'm going to list all of the 1st round and supplemental 1st round picks since 02'.

2002:
    Jeremy S. Brown, John McCurdy, Joe Blanton, Nick Swisher, Stephen Obenchain, Benjamin Fritz, Mark Teahan
    2003:
    Omar Quintanilla, Brian Snyder, Bradley Sullivan
    2004:
    Landon Powell, Daniel Putnam, Houston Street, Richard Robnett
    2005:
    Cliff Pennington, Travis Buck
    2006:
    NONE
    2007:
    Donald Simmons, Sean Doolittle, Corey Brown
    2008:
    Jemile Weeks
    2009:
    Grant Green
    2010:
    Michael Choice
    2011:
    Sonny Gray
    2012:
    Addison Russell, Daniel Robertson, Matt Olson
    2013:
    Billy McKinney

Probably a little bit better than Beinfest but not by much. The draft really is an inexact science. Even with all of the technology and tools available to GM's today it's hard to predict how these kids will develop. I would also like to point out that Beinfest's last 4 picks (Yelich, Fernandez, Heaney, Moran) look really promising.
  19. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

People really need to not focus so much on the first round. It's a crapshoot, the entire draft. Your 32nd round pick could end up being the best player out of the entire draft (Pujols, for example).
    Nny likes this.