Change background image

Marlins Designate Kyle Skipworth

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by floridafly, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Nny

Nny JohNNY

Yeah, there are several things I hate about people who just list failed 1st round draft picks.

One, there's no comparing it relative to the league. It's kind of like saying that it takes Stanton an average of four games to hit a home run. Four whole games! That's three failed games with no home runs. 75% of the time he doesn't hit one! Except that the average player is more so like 10 games to hit a home run. So being relative to everyone else kinda sorta really maters

Two, as Bender said, who cares, it's the first round. It's the whole draft that matters.

Three, putting it all on one person (Beinfest) is dumb and ignoring that everyone else loved the guy. Let's look at Hermida. Everyone loved him out of HS. He blew up the minors. He's a consensus top prospect. Yet he failed. But that's Beinfest being bad when everybody thought the same thing? I mean, you can get into the whole argument of "the consensus appraisal process is bad" and I'm definitely not going to argue against that but everyone here is the ones touting top #100 prospects and s*** and yet they'll turn around and say "well he should have known better" and ya'll don't see the problem with that?

Four, ya'll a bunch of retrospecting mothaf***as.

I don't care for Beinfest but every time this is brought up it's dumb. Or atleast, done in a dumb way. Because I don't know how Beinfest was relative to league for his whole draft. Maybe he was bad. But the "evidence" presented is dumb. At least rydawg did a comparison.
  2. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

Agreed, but the subject at hand was "1st Rd misses". After all our best player is Giancarlo Stanton and he was a 2nd Rd pick. Josh Johnson was a 4th Rd pick, and so on.
  3. fanofthefish

fanofthefish The Grinch's Biggest Fan

I'm pretty sure we can add James to the miss list, at this point in his career the only way he gets to the Show is as a LOOGY, but even that appears questionable based on his stats in Greensboro last year
  4. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I wonder how much better Beinfest's drafting record would have been if Loria didn't pinch pennies on signing bonuses.
    Eddie Altamonte and FutureGM like this.
  5. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Absolutely correct.
  6. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Now I'm starting to second guess myself.
    EricWiener and pollyvonwog like this.
  7. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

I'm not so sure that has much to do with it. Maybe a little in predraft conversations with players. No way to really tell unless someone has inside info on those talks. All else is just speculation and rumour starting. You draft players, then offer them contracts that they either accept or not. Are there any of our 1st round picks that didn't sign by the deadline? That would at least be a hint.
  8. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

You can tell based upon how much money the Marlins pay for the player in their spot versus what players in other spots received.

In 2009 the Marlins paid Chad James $1.7 million but Shelby Miller got $2.875 million one spot later. The Marlins passed on the better player because they didn't want to pay an extra million or so.
  9. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

The Marlins have also historically been one of the cheapest franchises in terms of total money spent on the draft, so there's that.
  10. Piazza31

Piazza31 Pr*ck

Yup, and their history is one of the highest when it comes to international signings and development.

Speak of all the facts, not just the ones that suit your narrative, fat boy.
  11. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I don't know what it means to have "one of the highest" histories when it comes to international signings. Is that even English?

Anyway, if you are trying to say that the Marlins have historically spent a lot of money on international talent, you are dead wrong. They are historically one of the most frugal in that respect.
  12. Entendu

Entendu sXe

13. fanofthefish

fanofthefish The Grinch's Biggest Fan

Yes if you look at signings during the previous ownerships as historical, than yes they used to pay, but I can't name the last player they signed internationally that worked out or that they paid all that well
  14. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

The Marlins haven't reallly been big international players at all under this ownership.

Also yes, before they changed how the draft works, the Marlins would find the one guy who would sign under slot, even if he was really not worth the higher draft spot, and sign him. Chad James is a great example, but more recently Heaney signed for less than most around his slot.
  15. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

But Heaney is actually good, so ...
  16. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Well under the new system with hard slotting they can't get away with just drafting the guy who's most likely to sign.
  17. Nny

Nny JohNNY

I'm pretty positive that you don't actually know what the definition of "facts" is.
  18. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

Our organization sucks. I have no idea why I love this team.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    YearOneMarlinFan likes this.
  19. Spike

Spike Hammerhead

I always thought it was the other rounds where the Marlins really showed their cheapness, when the parade of 23 to 25 year old 5th year college seniors would start getting drafted.
  20. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

"Signability" has always factored in the Marlin's drafting policy, this has been stated openly...this equals $$$$$$$$$
    any way you look at it