Change background image

Marlins GM Dan Jennings: Stanton Will Not Be Traded

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by CanesCop86, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

We're preparing a "hefty" contract offer for Stanton per Joe Frisaro.
  2. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

7/100, option for 8th at $20m and 9th for $25m. [9/145]

In year 3 of the deal, guarantee years 8 and 9, extend 7 more years at 155. [Or, 9/200, if you will]

16 years, 300 million dollars.
  3. Hopefully those weren't his exact words
    1 person likes this.
  4. Spike

Spike Hammerhead

So basically they will sign him to a big deal as a sign of good faith and find any reason/excuse to trade him at the deadline. Sounds fun.
  5. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

10/200?
  6. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

16/300!
  7. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

I still don't see him re-signing unless we vastly overpay him. I want Stanton here long term like everybody else, but I don't know if the Marlins can regain trust with him unless they start winning. This is a decently long rebuilding process we're involved in.
  8. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

It's been almost a year since the trade, and his only comment about anything relating to the organization was made about 20 minutes after it was announced. Who's to say he NEEDS to be overpaid? He might be perfectly happy as THE GUY that we build around and might accept the 7/100, which really isn't an overpayment, IMO.
  9. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

He's not going to sign unless he gets blown away with an offer, I would imagine.
  10. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

I'm not even that crazy about Stanton. Hope we don't overpay. Something like 10/350 is safe.
    4 people like this.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I doubt he walks away from a set for life offer. Nobody does.
  12. Spike

Spike Hammerhead

Especially when he knows he will be playing somewhere else with another team paying whatever contract he signs within a year or so after signing it.
  13. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I still imagine he'd sign. It would be foolish to turn down the kind of guaranteed money we're talking about with the risk of injury out there. He takes a 5 or 6 year deal here and when that contract is up then he's all set for the "big" deal, whether that's here or LA or wherever.
    1 person likes this.
  14. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

The guy has "only" made 1.4 mil in his career so far and will get around 7 mil in 2014 probably. He would be an absolute moron to turn down a huge long term deal especially since he'd still be able to sign another large deal after it like HC said.
  15. Spike

Spike Hammerhead

Not like he would finish that contract in Miami anyway
  16. ...

... Sun

He needs a "trade me" clause that he can elect. It would be a first -- probably known as a "Loria" clause, forevermore.

In any case, he'd be totally nuts not to sign any contract that is offered because somebody is going to pay him every single dime of the giant money.
  17. fanofthefish

fanofthefish The Grinch's Biggest Fan

My thoughts exactly, he would sound like a rube
  18. Swartz (His projections are very accurate) has Stanton at $4.8m next year FWIW.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/arbitration-eligibles-new-york-mets.html
  19. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Even more of a reason he'd accept a long term offer.