Change background image

Marlins GM Dan Jennings: Stanton Will Not Be Traded

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by CanesCop86, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

yeah if I implied that they were close in value I don't agree with Juan there...
  2. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

No that was a Juan related outburst. We good.
  3. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

The Braves are a better run organization than the Marlins are right now. It's smart to lock up young players like they did today.
  4. The organization that gave uggla 5/62 and BJ Upton 5/72 is the better run organization?

Freeman had a .371 BABIP last year. Best of luck to him repeating that in 2014. I think the contract is terrible and even worse it drives Stanton price up.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  5. Entendu

Entendu sXe

To be fair, we also wanted both of those players at one point. Had Uggla accepted our contract, we'd be f***ed right now and not the Braves. Beinfest was enamored with BJ Upton as well.
  6. We'd be f***ed, but not as f***ed as the Braves with their extra year. And actually, Uggla's .671 OPS last year is still 50 points better than Solano's. lol
  7. MarlinsLou

I don't think it has any effect on Stanton's potential deal, but I do think the Braves offered a year or two to many ala BJ/Uggla. The money is right, but they just keep adding that extra year which makes it look a little worse. They are getting a new stadium though so they can afford it. Also, the Braves should have done this last offseason too if they were willing to go all in on Freeman. It would have been significantly less, albeit last year was his first truly good year despite years of expectations.

Regardless, the better maneuvering is guys like J. Upton/McCutchen/Cargo. That's what the Marlins should have done.
  8. MarlinsLou

Payroll is so low it wouldn't have mattered.

They'd be f***ed if they signed Pujols for 10/$250.
  9. Excuse me did you not see the "Nobody is allowed to bring up 2012 ever again" sign on the front door?
  10. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

also i think it's safe to say we won that Uggla for Infante & Dunn trade. ;)
    (granted infante is no longer here)
  11. Considering Mike Dunn alone out WAR'd Uggla last year it's a safe assumption, although there is still time for Uggla to turn it around imo.
  12. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I do think he is a good candidate for Comeback POY. Same goes for his teammate BJ Upton.
  13. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Well I'm sure Stanton appreciated the Braves making this deal, if nothing else. I think 8 years is excessive considering Freeman's had one good year, and this was way over market value. At least with the Longoria deal a few years back it was team and player friendly.

Re: BJ Upton, I don't think anyone could have predicted he would hit that badly last year. He hit like 70 points or more below his career average, and he never figured it out. I can't imagine that happens again this year.
  14. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mia...md=20140210&content_id=67630248&vkey=news_mia

Frisaro's latest article quotes Stanton confirming his desire for "team stability" before talking about a multi-year deal. He at least seems open to the extension down the line, and while this isn't huge or groundbreaking it's nice to hear him speak about it because he pretty much hasn't said a word since the Toronto trade went down and he had that infamous tweet. At least he wasn't shutting the idea down right off the bat.
  15. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Sounds like a polite "no thank you" to me.
  16. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

He must really hate Jeffrey Loria to turn down over $100 million at this point in his career.
  17. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Kinda does. He's looking at the history of moves by this FO and it dosen't sound like he has much faith in it. He wants stability and you don't get that by offering contracts without no trade clauses. Not in Miami. Can't see how anyone else is coming up with a figure that he has turned down (or would turn down) when it has been well known no numbers have been thrown around. And if he is in the "wait and see" mode, then there is no point in doing that. One sided negotiations seldom turn out well. Especially when the side not wanting to negotiate really holds all the chips.
  18. ...

... Sun

Sounds to me like he's open to what could be a very good Marlins future. He knows that great pitching is already in place, the outfield is solved between himself and Yelich (regardless of who the 3rd guy is) and the infield has been totally revamped. Even though it's mostly a bunch of stop-gaps, there are now some actual hitters to carry part of the load. While waiting for Moran and whoever. And he knows Salty was more than a stop-gap signing.

Good. Just shut up and do it. He didn't contribute much last year and was happy to take 6.5 mill for this year -- gave him some flexibility, money/contract-wise. If they do well this year, he could become enamored of their prospects for 2015-16 and be happy to sign a 5 or 6 year contract, knowing that there's another big pay-day after that.

Assuming that he doesn't get traded at the deadline.
  19. MarlinsLou

Yep, this is a bunch of bulls***. You know what outweighs team stability, "stanton stability." Plop something like 5/$100 in his face and I'll bet his outlook on the franchise changes dramatically.
  20. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I will just reiterate again that the team still hasn't actually made an offer. So there's not much to discuss.

Plus his points about 'team stability' are mute, since they will have to decide on him one way or another in the next year.