Change background image

Marlins GM Dan Jennings: Stanton Will Not Be Traded

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by CanesCop86, Nov 3, 2013.

1. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Team stability means alot more than signing guys to 1 and 2 year contracts. Especially given our history of them not knowing how long they wil be here anyway. From his comments it is apparent he is in the wait and see mode. He outright said he dosen't want to talk contracts during this season, so offering him something right now is counter-productive. The FO will keep dropping hints to the media that they want to get a deal done, but they have to do that just to keep the few that attend games still coming. After this season check and see what his feelings are. I'm willing to bet his commenmts are going to be along these same lines. He'll take the one year deals with no arbitration and wait til he hits FA. If he isn't traded before then.

But sign a couple names, give them a no trade clause, and his opinion may change. "May" being the operative word here.
  2. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

They could have offered him a contract after the season. There's also nothing reallly preventing them from sending him an offer now anyway. A lot of extensions have been signed during ST.
  3. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Sounds like they wanted to and he didn't. Still dosen't. The FO and ownership have alot to prove to him before he will sign long term. That's paraphrasing his words, but exactly what he's saying. Good luck with that. I expect another 1 year contract next season, just before the arby deadline. He wants to win NOW. Not get stuck on a team for 5 or more years, regardless of the $$$, that have no real hope of seeing the playoffs and then move on to bigger and better things. I bet it's grinding on him that he has to stick around at least through the 2016 season.