Change background image

Marlins GM Dan Jennings: Stanton Will Not Be Traded

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by CanesCop86, Nov 3, 2013.

1. agree 100%
  2. legacyofCangelosi

legacyofCangelosi The legend lives on

This concept that circulates around the streets of Miami that:

A) Stanton played subpar last year because hes upset and doesn't want to be with the team and
    B) Stanton would never sign with the Marlins long term

In my opinion those sentiments are bull. He's still under club control and has not had his big payday yet. If we offered him something like 7/100 he would be foregoing at least an additional 6-9 million a year depending what happens in arbitration. No one refuses that kind of money.
  3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I think most of us are in agreement that if he gets a fair long-term deal that he's going to sign. He just can't be that stupid.
  4. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

Dan Uggla rejected a fair long-term deal.
  5. 20/900 with a player option for 21 and 21 at 100 apiece. Plus, the key to the city, a license to kill, and a lifetime pass for free food at Hometown Buffet.
  6. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw Baseball is stupid

Dan Uggla is also a complete douche.
  7. Dan Uggla rejected a fair long-term deal.

Thank heavens for the braves
  8. legacyofCangelosi

Uggla was also in a different spot in his career than Stanton. Uggla knew because of his age that his next deal would be the only big long term deal he would have in his career. Stanton on the other hand can sign for 7 years with us now and still be young enough to sign a second big money long term deal (assuming he stays healthy of course).
  9. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

I'm glad Uggla went elsewhere, but players do turn down fair multiyear deals.
  10. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Uggla wanted 5/71 from us. Such a weird number.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Uggla was also in a different spot in his career than Stanton. Uggla knew because of his age that his next deal would be the only big long term deal he would have in his career. Stanton on the other hand can sign for 7 years with us now and still be young enough to sign a second big money long term deal (assuming he stays healthy of course).

This.

Uggla was a different situation.
  12. YearOneMarlinFan

YearOneMarlinFan Grasshopper

But that's usually when they think they can get a better deal right away from some other team. Stanton won't be in that situation - unless of course the Marlins wait too long.
  13. UltimaKilo

UltimaKilo Grasshopper

Too many of you are getting your hopes up by assuming Stanton would definitely sign a long-term deal. The teammates he would always hang out with and hit the clubs with, are gone. We know of his desire to go back home and he couldn't possibly trust this organization to "build" anything, especially since they have no plans to sign any big names.

If I were him, I wouldn't sign anything until this organization proves they're able to build a championship contender and fast.
  14. If I'm not mistaken its cuz Hanley got $70 million. Turning down the offer is one thing, but specifically asking for one million more than the teams other top player is a total d*ck move. I've despised uggla since then, despite what I think of Hanley himself.
    1 person likes this.
  15. ...

... Sun

You are correct. He left because we wouldn't give him 5 or 71, the 71 being his childish idea of a way to prove he was worth a mill more than Hanley.

And a good thing, too.

We got his best seasons, he's been all downhill ever since. The decision to let Uggla walk is an example of something Loria, et al did that was the right thing to do.

Suck it ATL. They bought into an aging guy at his absolute peak and now have a $26 million penalty to pay for a guy who wasn't even worth putting on their post-season roster.
    1 person likes this.
  16. YearOneMarlinFan

YearOneMarlinFan Grasshopper

One reason that players almost always go for the most money, even when they have reasons not to, is undoubtedly that their agents urge them to. Agents themselves don't have much reason to encourage a player to wait a year or more for a deal that may be more pleasing to the player's sensitivities.
  17. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Were you there? I mean, judging by Twitter, he's got a lot of close friends on the team. I think him and AJ Ramos went to Europe together or something after the season. I just saw a bunch of twitter pics of him at LoMo's wedding hanging out with Yelich and Marisnick. He and Yelich I think are close now, both young California kids...

I don't think a lack of friends is the reason why he wouldn't sign. We all knew after the fire sale that a year later, after he settled in with his new teammates, he'd get over it.
    1 person likes this.
  18. legacyofCangelosi

There's also the factor that Stanton has been injury prone. From his perspective and his agent's perspective I would think putting off a big pay day by a year or more may also be risky. Say he turns down 7/100 then gets hurt and misses a year. That may affect any future deals.
  19. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Nailed it.
  20. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I read the other day that Loria just sold a painting for 32 million at an art auction, so expect that Stanton offer any day now.