Change background image

Marlins GM Dan Jennings: Stanton Will Not Be Traded

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by CanesCop86, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Come on guys, you changed my titlle!
    1 person likes this.
  2. gizmo

gizmo RALLY, BITCH

Downpayment on Saltalamacchia
    1 person likes this.
  3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Salty doesn't look promising, I have a feeling he's heading back to Bean Town.
  4. Spike

Spike Hammerhead

he wasn't promising in the first place. you are way too high on a 30 year old catcher who had a career year in a contract year and who has been awful the rest of his career.
  5. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I mean, if you're going to call me out at least get facts right.

I see a 28-year-old catcher that just had a career year entering his prime. And as I just mentioned in another thread, I'm sure there's more than a few GM's that will probably agree. Evidence will be the contract he signs.
  6. Spike

Spike Hammerhead

because GMs always make good decisions.
  7. Be careful saying nice things about Loria he could still trade for him back
  8. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

No, but the worst move is to do nothing when your team needs help. The GM that doesn't make a ballsy move or two is the one looking for a job.
  9. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Ultimately GMs are constrained by their owners though. You can have the best GM, but if your owner isn't willing to get behind his decisions and/or pony up the cash, it's a waste
  10. Spike

Spike Hammerhead

Signing Saltalamacchia wouldnt be bold. It would be dumb.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Ultimately GMs are constrained by their owners though. You can have the best GM, but if your owner isn't willing to get behind his decisions and/or pony up the cash, it's a waste

I mean, good GM's seem to find ways to be creative and get around that issue. The post season this year alone was a good example of a few teams with payroll constraints that figured out a way to win (Pirates, Rays, A's, Indians, etc)
  12. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

Dave Cameron over at FanGraphs thinks Stanton would turn down a Marlins offer. I just don't get it...

I suppose if Stanton turned down an offer, the thinking might be that the Marlins FO wouldn't want to hang onto him since everyone would be sour and so they'd just immediately trade him and then his new team would soon work out an extension... guess that's a possibility. But there's no assurance the Marlins would trade him immediately, and then he could theoretically be playing out a season or two while leaving all that money on the table with the risk of injury.
  13. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Depends on the offer we make. If it's fair, he'll sign it.
  14. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

MLB Network was saying he'll most likely be traded NEXT winter. Meh. If we can get an actual return for him and not 6 busts ...
  15. legacyofCangelosi

legacyofCangelosi The legend lives on

I have always felt with these things a lot of analysts and commentators love to say the marlins will trade all their good players based of course on history, but also lack of knowledge of how the team and the contracts actually work. They are also fans of big market teams and secretly want these players on their teams.

They like to equate the Stanton situation with the Uggla one. Where realistically its much more like Hanley where we wanted to build around him, signed him long term and kept him here for several years. Sure they traded him eventually but after 6 years and after he tanked w the team.
  16. miamibaseball

miamibaseball Hammerhead

stanton will think before sign because he dont be with team that rebuilding for years
  17. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Most signs have pointed to him not wanting to be here anymore, particularly after the scorched earth plan last offseason. I don't blame him. So it wouldn't shock me if he would turn down an offer. He knows that he can get more from someone else anyway.
  18. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Where are these signs? Where?! ONE TWEET! That's it! Oh, he had a down year, I forgot, the universal sign of not wanting to be somewhere. I've seen no signs other than the tweet.
  19. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I have a really hard time seeing Stanton saying no to 90-100 million in guaranteed cash, even if he doesn't like it here. He can get used to it with all of that money.
  20. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Stanton will take the money if it's offered to him. Now it's just a matter of whether or not our terrible FO is going to offer it to him..