Change background image

Marlins GM Dan Jennings: Stanton Will Not Be Traded

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by CanesCop86, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Erick

Erick Marlin

What past? He's had terrible plate discipline throughout his minor league career for the most part.
    And while he has above average power, I think you're overrating that aspect of his game quite a bit. Don't be fooled by his time in the big leagues last year because his 16% HR/FB ratio is likely unsustainable. A one-dimensional 15-20 HR hitter is not all that valuable. Defensively, he has Dan Uggla-like range.
  2. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

You still haven't explained why this is true other than the fact that his minor league career numbers are better than what he did in the majors last season.
  3. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

really the only thing that was better was his batting average, and it's tough to count on that transferring to the bigs. At least the power looks like it'll show.

I'm at little curious to see how he'd look at 3b. Coming up as a shortstop his arm is fine and the iffy range probably wouldn't hurt as much at third.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  4. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Also, Dietrich only has a lot of power for a second baseman because he probably shouldn't be playing that position.
  5. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

The Rays' front office didn't think that Dietrich was going to be a big time player any time soon when they dealt him for Escobar last winter.
  6. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

You still haven't explained why my thoughts are garbage. Tell me, oh baseball guru, why will Dietrich suck when next to nothing suggests that?
  7. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

He's just nothing special and it's unlikely he ever will be. The Rays' are a brilliant organization, they wouldn't have dealt him so easily if they thought he was going to be a big time player.
  8. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

They may have if that's what it took to get a 3.3 WAR player they needed that was under 3 more years of control for only $5 Mill per year. And no team wins every trade...
  9. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

He's never shown any reason to think he'll be a major contributor though. We were trying to unload Yunel and they knew that, they didn't trade anything they considered too valuable.
  10. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

What are you talking about? I've addressed this all countless times.
  11. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

I will be a happy man if Mike Redmond does not have to put Solano or Dietrich's name in the starting lineup on Opening Day 2014.
  12. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

He'll have to put one or the other.
  13. Why not both at same time!
  14. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

This is why we're signing Yuni B.
  15. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I swear I knew they would be interested in signing him. It just screamed MARLINS.
  16. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I have never seen you give any real reason at any point in time, nonetheless "countless" times.
  17. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Countless times I said that he will suck because his walk rate (and strikeout rate) has been terrible over almost all of his professional career, indicating awful plate discipline--which will compromise his power and prevent him from getting on base. He also rates as a poor second baseman due to his lack of range, meaning that he probably shouldn't even be playing that position.

Your thoughts are garbage because you haven't constructed a statistically sound argument. You just took a lazy approach and said that Dietrich will improve more or less because his minor league numbers (I presume you are just looking at HR and OPS numbers) are decent. You are not taking into peripherals, which suggests to me that you don't even know what they are.

I've said this also countless times already.
  18. Undakai

Undakai Sun

So... This Staunton guy, any word on him? I think he was briefly mentioned in this thread.
  19. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

At this point, we're just waiting on the Front Office. Maybe they want to make a few moves before talking with him to prove that they are interested in winning.
  20. Undakai

Undakai Sun

Sad to say but from what I'm hearing about in regards to our potential off season moves, I think they may just prove the opposite...