Change background image

Marlins GM Dan Jennings: Stanton Will Not Be Traded

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by CanesCop86, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

I think the Marlins would be smart to at least listen when teams call about Stanton. I wouldn't deal him though unless they get an offer that they just can't refuse.
  2. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

There are already reports that the FO isn't going to approach him with a contract offer until next offseason, which is not what they said earlier in the year.
  3. Giancarlo Stanton

Giancarlo Stanton Grasshopper

Fernandez, Stanton, and Yelich are our future. We need to make sure we lock each one of these studs up long term.
  4. Undakai

Undakai Sun

Sounds eerily similar something I remember hearing from the FO last year. Do they think he'll get cheaper as the years go by or something? I'm beginning to think (using "beginning" very loosely) it's just a stall tactic to keep up fan interest at least until they are forced to ship him off.
  5. Maybe they want him to complete a season with generally good health.
  6. YearOneMarlinFan

YearOneMarlinFan Grasshopper

Maybe, but that would make him even pricier.
  7. SixYearItch

SixYearItch Grasshopper

Totally pissed off on how the Marlins have completely botched the Stanton negotiation. Could have locked him in yrs earlier to an affordable long term deal, now with the team in dregland after yet another fire sale and a 100 loss season, and Loria being unwilling to spend other than pennies at least this offseason to improve the team, the climate is decidedly unfavorable to even think of approaching Stanton with a long term offer. And for sure the price tag will be so exorbitant after this next season to where trading him will be the only option left, which is truly where Loria wants this all to end up.
    Pnino likes this.
  8. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I think they're trying to figure out how to justify a trade since they don't want to pay him what he's worth. If he has another sub-par year they can use that as a reason.
    Pnino likes this.
  9. fanofthefish

fanofthefish The Grinch's Biggest Fan

10. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Well, a 1-2-3 on Fernandez, Heaney, Owens would be pretty nice, plus Bradley would allow Ozuna to move back to right ... hmm.
    If they really want Stanton, make them throw in Bogaerts instead of Middlebrooks, all I say.
  11. Erick

Erick Marlin

It's actually not that interesting and probably not credible either.
  12. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

No, it's probably not credible at all. But who knows? Maybe they're insiders! Squall-style!
  13. Entendu

Entendu sXe

The Marlins would be crazy to not get Bogaerts
  14. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

The Marlins don't have as much leverage as they did a year or two ago, but I wouldn't be satisfied with that return. It's pretty underwhelming.
  15. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

He'd be blocked by Hechavarria.
    EricWiener and Wild Card like this.
  16. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

That's a terrible return, and I don't see any real sourcing on it that is reliable, so it sounds like Red Sox fans spitballing again.
  17. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Red Sox will never trade us another SS prospect again.
  18. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Why not? They didn't exactly get hosed on that Hanley deal. It's the general consensus that both teams won that trade. We got a core for the future, and they got vital pieces to 2 World Series runs.
    YearOneMarlinFan and EricWiener like this.
  19. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  20. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

We already know there's little to no chance Stanton is traded this season. He'll be offered a contract in the 2014 offseason, and when Stanton declines the Marlins will spin the narrative into "Well, we gave Giancarlo a fair offer, and he's shown us that he doesn't see a future with the Marlins organization. Therefore we have no choice but to trade him."

And then the Astros unload their farm system for Stanton if he's coming off a 40+ HR season where he doesn't get injured. They're one of the few teams that can unload top prospects and still have a pretty damn good farm system.