Change background image

Marlins GM Dan Jennings: Stanton Will Not Be Traded

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by CanesCop86, Nov 3, 2013.

1. YearOneMarlinFan

YearOneMarlinFan Grasshopper

I don't know about the Astros part, and I'm not convinced Stanton will decline, but if he does then your scenario is probably right on the money - so to speak. But then, that's what most teams would do in the same situation so it shouldn't really be a surprise. The big question will be how hard will they try to get him to sign.
  2. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

If the Marlins trade him next season, the other team won't need to unload the farm system. It will take some good prospects, but nothing too crazy even after a 40 HR season. The Marlins won't have any leverage and Stanton still has a worrisome injury history even he remains healthy for all of 2014.
    Eddie Altamonte likes this.
  3. YearOneMarlinFan

I agree that his injury history will be a factor, but I think the return for trading Stanton will depend greatly on the available FA pool, how badly some teams are looking for a power hitter, and what kind of year Stanton had. Lots of variables.
  4. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Once again, you probably couldn't be more off base. Stanton's value next season, if he stays healthy and hits 40+ home runs, will be off the charts even with just 2 seasons left under club control. His injury history will not affect his value at all if he stays healthy this season, people forget really quickly after 40 homers go on the baseball card, and he has still played in plenty of games the past two years even with the injuries.
  5. Entendu

Entendu sXe

You cry about Penguino picking on you, but you're pretty brazen in your responses
  6. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

I think Pengui is pretty much 100% on target on this one, if the Marlins trade Stanton next year his value lessens due to the fact if teams wait they can get him for nothing, and what would the Marlins get?...maybe a draft pick that they very well could screw up anyway. Sign him now!
  7. YearOneMarlinFan

At the trading deadline, some teams still in competition will want him right away, in which case his health and production that year will be big factors in determining his value. That, and who else is available.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  8. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

One season does not erase an alarming injury history spanning 4 years. It's not about the number of games played, either. The concern is the frequency in which minor injuries nag up even if they don't put him on the DL for 2/3rds of a season. A 40 HR year will certainly up the value from where it is now--remember that he had a pretty mediocre season in 2013 by his standards, but he won't enter into the price range where only one or two teams will have the minor league talent to trade for him. That's just silly.

I don't think that his value would match Cabrera's in 2007, for example. He'll be able to net top prospects, but it won't be "off the charts."
  9. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I will accept this answer. At first you made it sounds as if he wouldn't have much value, this is a little more realistic.
  10. Entendu

Entendu sXe

I mean, it's not a big deal now. However, I think we need to trade this guy now. This is going to turn into a disaster if the FO keeps sitting on their hands.
  11. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/marlins-avoid-arb-with-giancarlo-stanton.html

12. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

13. They're clearly throwing Stanton a bone there with that arb # they gave him. If it went to arb court, Stanton would have received at least $1m less.
  14. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

A three year deal would be pointless (unless it were absurdly low like 3/$21, which he would never agree to and gamble on himself to hit bombs this year). There is no sense in guaranteeing club controlled years and not getting back end free agency years. That's the whole point. They need to get him for 5-6, or trade him. Or, in the silly argument, feel free to keep him for arbitration and then buy 3 major free agents in 2015/2016 to make his time here worthwhile.
  15. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

I 100% disagree with this and think Stanton (and cishek) would have waxed the floor with the Marlins when they tried to lowball them. Hence why I see they stepped up and made settlements (maybe since they are learning how bad they are at arbitration, worst record in baseball last 10 years in that forum). We would have to discuss what the marlins/stanton numbers were to do a real comparison, but it was really clear Stanton was going to make that sum this year. Marlins didn't do him any favors. Don't kid yourself.
  16. Soooo best case scenario the fish improve by a handful of wins this year, Stanton has a better year, and we at least attempt to offer a reasonable multi year deal? Then if he doesn't accept we explore other options?
  17. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

The Marlins should just trade Stanton now.
  18. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Please just trade him now... It even sets us up for a worse record and a better draft pick the following year. I don't give a s*** about a few extra wins when it won't make any difference. The prospects we'd get for him would probably far outweigh the 3 extra years we'd have him for anyway.
  19. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I agree with the two of you. I want to keep Stanton but it's pretty damn obvious they have no intention of keeping him here long term. Keeping him for the sake of keeping him is just a dumb move.
  20. Retro_Marlins

Retro_Marlins Hammerhead

I would rather lose Stanton at the end of the 2016 season then trade him for garbage like the front office will do.