Change background image

Marlins Sign Jeff Baker for Two Years.

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by SongInTheAir, Feb 4, 2014.

1. SongInTheAir

SongInTheAir So it goes.

2. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

3.7 million + 500k incentives
  3. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

4. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

You know that I'm happy with this. I think Baker/Jones could give the Marlins 30 homers at 1B in 2014.
  5. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

I like it.
    Is it only first base he can play, by chance?
  6. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

He's played 2B, 3B, LF, RF too
  7. SongInTheAir

SongInTheAir So it goes.

155 games at 2B, 110 at 1B, 101 in the outfield, and 99 at 3B. He's below average defensively wherever he goes, but seems decent enough at 2B and 3B, his worst overall position being LF.
  8. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Sounds good to me.
  9. sgleason02

sgleason02 Kansas Marlin

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy, but his power spiked last year at age 32. Just finding his stroke? Probably not. Power as a result of playing in a hitters park? Probably. He hit 10 HR against lefties last year. 2011 and 2012 combined for twice as many lefty AB's for 6 total HR. 11 total HR in 2013, 9 in hitter's parks, 1 in neutral parks, 1 in pitcher's parks (Seattle, where the fences were moved in). Is $4 million worth it if we end up with 2 years of his 2012 lefty splits: .240/.277/.388/.665? I'll take Ed Lucas and his .330/.374/.509/.883 lefty split for a fraction of the price.
  10. fauowls44

fauowls44 Hammerhead

He hit 7 of his 11 HR on the road last year. Luckily, the Marlins face lefties in hitters parks on the road too. I think he's pretty good bat for the price given that he can play 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and corner OF. He gives the team multiple platoon options.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

So who does this remove from our bench? I assume Ed Lucas?
  12. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

wait a sec... did they just do a thing we wanted them to do?? I mean that is a pretty smart move and gives them a bunch of flexibility.

career vs LHP
    .298 .353 .522 .875

he would basically take the other 5th OF/platoon spot, so bench is Mathis, Bogo, Baker, Lucas, Dobbs I guess?
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  13. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

Can't see how anyone can say anything negative about the signing. This a move a team like the cardinals make and it pays dividends
  14. Entendu

Entendu sXe

This is a very smart move
  15. Holy hell... um, are we sure this is the Marlins? Like, the Marlins that play in Miami? For the National League of Major League Baseball? The same team owned by Jeffrey Loria?

A totally un-Marlin-like move, but I like it!

...looks like a violent dogfight between Lucas, Solano, maaaybe Dietrich, and the non-roster guys (Wigginton, Johnson) for the final bench spot.
  16. Entendu

Entendu sXe

LOL@ all the idiots on Mlbtr bitching because their team didn't get him
  17. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

Considering they will need another middle infielder, as your backup plan at SS should not be Furcal at SS and Baker at 2B, it's going to be Lucas/Solano. Dietrich will get everyday AB in Jax/Nola.

Probably should be Lucas as Solano can be optioned and Lucas has the better LHP split which is useful.
  18. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

it sounds like that 2nd year probably nudged the Marlins over some other teams for Baker.

Now sit back & watch as they offer Stanton an extention and then sign Stephen Drew and Bronson Arroyo.
    SilverBullet1929 likes this.
  19. SongInTheAir

SongInTheAir So it goes.

But what about future MVP and first ballot HOF shortstop Adeiny Hechavahahahahahahaha...
  20. sgleason02

sgleason02 Kansas Marlin

I have already voiced my disapproval of the signing, but I do like the FO's platoonish thinking, which seems to fall under "outside the box" for our team. That said, I still see Baker and Lucas as the exact same offensive player. If both end up being on the roster, I see one in a full time platoon at 1B, and the other as a late innings PH. I will poop my pants if the FO plays the better fielding Lucas in the platoon role. 2013 WAR: Lucas 1.5, Baker .7 Baker's career net WAR....note, I said NET, not average, is 1.1 across 9 seasons. I smell the second coming of Wes Helms at the price of $4 million. Carry on. I'll be in the corner, sulking.