Change background image

Marlins Sign Jeff Baker for Two Years.

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by SongInTheAir, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

The second year made a ton of sense for us, too, with Jones also under contract for two years.

I applaud this move. Makes this team much better, actually.
  2. Solid move. Great guy off the bench with some power and versatility.

Kind of weird how he put up such solid minor league numbers but never really got a full time opportunity in the majors.
  3. I hope I'm not going over anyone's head here but this post reminds of the scene in dumb and dumber when they put hot peppers in the guy's burger and, in anticipation of what's gonna happen next, Jim carrey has this hilarious way of looking over his shoulder trying desperately to hide his laughter from the guy. That's how I picture Loria whenever we make shockingly positive moves like offering Stanton an extension. Just sayin!
  4. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

Super solid signing. Jones and Baker platooning should combine for a competent 1st baseman this year, with Baker getting time at multiple positions.

Two years is nothing, less than $2 million a year is Dobbs money, and I think we'll get solid production from Baker. This is actually a positive signing, although I'd like to see the team let some younger guys get playing time instead of giving all these 30+ year olds starting time in what should be a transition season to 2015. This team still needs more hitters to be taken seriously. Again, love the signing, but the overall strategy the Marlins have exhibited the last two seasons has been a bit odd.
  5. fanofthefish

fanofthefish The Grinch's Biggest Fan

Wow! Jeff Baker!!! He sucks, he should fit right in
    EricWiener likes this.
  6. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Well, like you said, "transition season." Going to be quite a few stopgaps required. We are transitioning into the future, and in 2015, we'll probably have a few more of those future players up in the Show.

This is a good signing, and we'll have him as a good right-handed bat off the bench in 2015. I approve.
  7. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

Totally agree. I still think if the Front Office truly understood that it was going to be hard to compete in both 2013 and 2014 with the lineups we were/are putting out, then it's smarter to throw young guys out and see which ones stick (with hopefully some breakout candidates). I feel like that Astros have taken that strategy the last few years. Put young guys out and see which ones perform well, bottom out so you consistently get top players in the draft, and build for the future. Guys like Baker, Pierre, Furcal, Polanco, etc... serve no point getting paid to just play during meaningless seasons and then leave. At that point you'd rather just pay rookies minimum scale and hope you find some good ones.

At least this year I think we found a good old guy in Baker.
    SilverBullet1929 likes this.
  8. Jeff Baker "The Good Old Guy"

...lol, I'm ok with that.
  9. Bret Hart

Bret Hart ↑This girl make me sick

I like this sign. Infielder and Backup depth are getting bigger.
    Also Baker was famous for lefty killer. Even not expensive.
  10. Hey doesn't someone now have to be taken off the 40 man roster to make room for Baker?
  11. DcFishFan

DcFishFan Hammerhead

Wait, I thought 2006 was our "transition season." Or was it 2009? Or 2011? I can't keep track with all of our transition seasons...
  12. From 2004 until our next championship = "transition seasons"
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  13. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

The reasons you don't just throw the young kids out are that they can sometimes get more appropriate experience in the minors, and you also push back arbitration/free agency. Those are very important things, especially for small- budget teams who can't afford big $$$.
  14. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

Chris Hatcher, Michael Brady, Sam Dyson, and Rob Brantly could all be a DFA candidates. They have some promise, but are likely back end bullpen/bench catcher candidates and they have better options coming in pipeline. This isn't to big a deal. I suspect it'll be Hatcher who they have DFA'd a few times.

Fun fact - Hatcher is the oldest pitcher on 40 man roster. He's 29. That is pretty amazing.
  15. My first guess was Hatcher too... and that's amazing that he's the old guy at 29.
  16. Perfectly adequate signing. We might win 73 instead of 72 games now!
  17. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

these incremental improvements would look even nicer if they came after a Stanton deal.
    SilverBullet1929 and Larry like this.
  18. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I like this deal, but you shouldn't be signing guys like this for two years. I'm guessing we were the only team offering that, so of course he took it.
  19. Having Garrett Jones for two years is what makes us have Baker for two years.
  20. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Neither of those are good ideas.