Change background image

Marlins Sign Jeff Baker for Two Years.

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by SongInTheAir, Feb 4, 2014.

1. fanofthefish

fanofthefish The Grinch's Biggest Fan

Jimmy Paeredes is the odd man out as Baker's contract has been finalized
  2. Retro_Marlins

Retro_Marlins Hammerhead

Baker will probablg get most of the starts at second base
  3. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

1) Furcal
    2) Lolno

He's going to be getting starts vs lefties at first base.
  4. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I also think he'll see some time at third if McGehee isn't his old Brewers self.
  5. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

I could see Baker getting some time at 3B in 2014, but not 2B. I think the strict platoon of Jones and Baker at 1B will give them much more production than Logan Morrison would have.
  6. sgleason02

sgleason02 Kansas Marlin

I still can't believe how ignorant the majority of you are, begging for the FO to platoon this guy all over the diamond. His defense is SOOOOOO TERRIBLE that it has outweighed any offensive production he's brought to the table in four of the last five seasons. The exception is last year, where he magically produced power equivalent to his previous three years combined. He's had a negative WAR 4 out of his 5 last seasons. How did the John Buck signing after his career year work out? Lay off the Kool-Aid.
  7. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Comparing him to Buck is terrible. Baker isn't making close to $6m over the length of this contract, let alone one year.
    He gives us a good option against lefties, really no reason to be against this move. It's not like he's going to start 90 games. I'd say at most he starts in 60. All depends on how many lefties we face. His defense, overall, is irrelevant. We have the lead late, we take him out, simple as that.
  8. sgleason02

sgleason02 Kansas Marlin

. I acknowledge the fact that the Marlins will face "lefties on the road" as well. Not in the hitter's parks he hit them in last season, though. You have yet to acknowledge his defensive deficiencies, or the fact that his 11 HR's last season are an outlier when looking at his last five seasons.
  9. sgleason02

sgleason02 Kansas Marlin

First of all, the context I was comparing him to Buck in, was the fact that we signed them coming off of their best offensive season, not their contract terms. Secondly, WAR shows that his defense IS relevant, in the fact that it has negated his offensive contributions 4 out of the last 5 seasons, no matter what part of the game he plays or what part of the game you pull him.
  10. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

He has a career 4.7 UZR/150 at 2B, so he's actually above average there and not SOOOOOO terrible. Probably should look into the basis of facts before just spouting off the end numbers. Also, last year and 2011, he had a pretty positive grade at 1B. He is below average for his career at the position, but those numbers seem skewed by quite hilariously bad stats for 2012 in another small sample size. Regardless he has been pretty ok lately and I think it's safe to say he is likely, at worst, slightly below average at 1B. Conversely, absolutely terrible at 3B/Corner OF spots which is why his WAR is so low.

The answer is simple, play him at 1B and 2B against lefties or when Furcal needs a breather. He's not a defensive liability and he can hit a little bit. For the love of god don't play him at 3B or the OF under any circumstance but desperation extra inning games. I suspect this is what happens as Bugo/Dobbs/G. Jones will shift to outfield if Baker comes in late some game. This is not a big deal, and Baker is a significant upgrade over the 250+ PA he will rake lefties.

Also, as noted above, comparing him to Buck when the contract is 1/5th the value is a bit ludicrous.
    BenderRobot likes this.
  11. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

I love you, Lou.
  12. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

Do you love me too?
  13. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

14. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw Baseball is stupid

#BugoDobbs

I love you too, Lou.
  15. Benched

Benched Sun

Which is highly doubtful. We will all be calling for Baker to start by June.
  16. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

More likely Moran or Dietrich depending on their production. Even if Moran is hitting he's not likely, but I've been predicting Dietrich is up by June to play either second or third. Baker will be busy on the right side of the infield...