Change background image

Marlins to sign Furcal

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by gizmo, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

I stand corrected.. Apologies wild Card.. By the way I totally forgot about Ed Lucas.. lol
  2. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

How can you forget about Ed Lucas? He adjusted to the league.
  3. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

Lucas for Heisman!!
  4. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Who will end up being Dietrich's platoon partner if he can't hit lefties like he did this year.
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Don't like this move. Furcal is a bad baseball player.
  6. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

Dietrich is a power hitting 2nd baseman. At third base he's got average to below average power.

Furcal at 2B and Dietrich at 3B doesn't make this team better. With this current lineup we'd likely still be far below average offensively and may not be able to hit 100 home runs AGAIN.

I understood a stopgap at 3B. Somebody like Eric Chavez or even a Brandon Inge might've been fine. Furcal is just Juan Pierre at 2nd base. I doubt Furcal makes it to August as an everyday starter.
    MiamiMarlins1 likes this.
  7. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Furcal DOES make the team better. Does he make it great? No, but he is absolutely better than Donovan Solano, offensively and defensively.

Furcal is nothing like Pierre. He has always had decent pop.
  8. blue911

blue911 Muckdog

Mark Reynolds is worth consideration for third base
  9. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

No, he absolutely is not.
    MrMarlinPride likes this.
  10. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

Furcal is here to play second base and hit second. I don't know that he will have the power that he used to but he does make solid contact, and doesn't strikeout a lot. He's always been a decent on base guy also. He is better than Solano who should only be a utility player. The obvious strategy the Marlins are employing is to try to improve the offense without giving up our young pitching. I think that is a sound strategy. I think they will do something similar at 3rb base and give Dietrich at least a half season in AAA. Some of you are never happy. You complain that the FO never has a plan or a clue, but now that they seem to have one they are still stupid.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I agree 100%, with your opinion and the Marlins strategy.
  12. The_Punisher

The_Punisher The Runner

Wow. I dont know why, but i love it.
  13. dim

Furcal had a grand total of 26 XBH's in 477 AB's the last time he played regularly. He had even less the year before with the Dodgers.

Furcal has no power. Every player in the league has more power than Pierre, but that doesn't mean Furcal has any real power at all.

And this isn't about Solano. Solano shouldn't be starting everyday and Dietrich would've been the starting 2B without a Furcal signing (we'd find a 3B somewhere, any likely still will).

Furcal hasn't been a good player since 2010. We can't justify useless signings because our bad starting 2B (Solano) last season is SLIGHTLY worse than the bad starting 2B we just signed.

It's a dumb signing, plain and simple. It's especially dumb since we're not going to be good next year. When you suck as a team, you start your younger players and see what you have with them. THAT is how you do a rebuild.
  14. dim

As for the good on base thing with Furcal.

2012: .325 OBP
    2011: .298 OBP

Uh...This is the part where I say you can't judge players because there past was awesome. I can say "hey, Furcal was awesome when he was younger and playing for the Dodgers/Braves" and I would be right. I'd also be right saying "hey, Furcal is 36 years old, coming off a serious injury, and hasn't been anything resembling a good player since 2010".
  15. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

If Dietrich doesn't start at third after this move, I am right there with you. However if he does, this makes sense and I am for it. That's why I believe they're probably done with ML contracts, just ST invites from here on out.
  16. dim

I hate Dietrich as a 3rd baseman. It's in the same vein of the talk of putting Coghlan at 3B not too long ago. Put players where they are likely to thrive. Dietrich doesn't belong at 3rd base. It's stupid that Diietrich can't mature at his natural position because we have to give playing time to a 36 year old has been (sorry Furcal, but that's what you are).
  17. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

A Chavez/Lucas platoon at 3rd base would have been better than Furcal at 2nd and Dietrich at 3rd. Or trading for Middlebrooks. Or Uribe, even as a last resort on a 2 year deal.
    dim likes this.
  18. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

It may just be the lesser of two evils. The market for third basemen seems to be weaker than second. It may just have been a better fit, just not ideal.
  19. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Maybe Chavez doesn't want to sign here? We've probably tried like 4 times over the last 5 years.

Maybe the asking price for Middlebrooks is too high?

A 2 year deal for Uribe is even worse with Moran coming.
  20. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Michael Young > Juan Uribe.

Well, maybe not, but I'd rather sign Young. More consistent and he'd be cheaper.