Change background image

Marlins to sign Furcal

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by gizmo, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Fun off-season thus far, agreed.
  2. More interesting than I expected
  3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Let's flip it over to third base then

:mike2
  4. Benched

Benched Sun

I can pretty much guarantee we will sign a 3B at the meetings.
  5. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

or trade for one.
  6. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I just don't see them spending any more money on an infielder. I could see a couple of minor leage deals with an invite to ST, but I don't think they're going to acquire anyone else.

I think they think they're set.
  7. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

You think wrong.
    MrMarlinPride likes this.
  8. Benched

Benched Sun

Right now, they have pretty much zero power at 3B. It's doubtful Dietrich is even ready. They'll be acquiring someone. I don't think they assume they're ready as is.
  9. Benched

Benched Sun

10. Benched

Benched Sun

Oh and Ed Lucas isnt a starter.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I mean if they think Dietrich is ready and can play 3B then they don't have zero power at third. In fact they would have pretty decent pop at third.

Larry, I do hope you're right, competition never hurt. But I don't think they will acquire anyone of any significance that would make any difference.
  12. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

I think they will go the trade route for the 3b position. I would still keep an eye out for a deal with the Brewers for Aramis Ramirez. Although I am not sure of his contract situation and not sure if we can afford his contract. I know there has been interest from the Brewers in LOMO although I wouldn't think they would create a hole (I know backin, LOMO is already a hole) at 1st to do this. They might move some lesser pitching prospects such a Brad Hand or Tom Koehler, and those types of pitchers. I know the Brewers are desperate for pitching. Just my thoughts.
  13. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/mike-napoli-talks-reach-critical-stage.html

Then again, maybe we aren't done with free agents? Mike Napoli??

Although, after reading the post one more time, if we have to give up our 1st round pick this wouldn't make sense. Especially since we are picking so high. Unless it's a lesser pick that we would have to give up? Anyone know what the compensation is to sign Napoli?
  14. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Top 10 draft picks are protected. We would give up the next pick I believe.
  15. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

What would you give Napoli in terms of a contract..
  16. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

It's fallacy to assume that one player will be productive at age 36 just because other players (a minority of them) have been productive at that age. Furcal's decline in performance indicates that he's not aging well.

Saying that Furcal was a 6+ WAR player in his prime is incredibly misleading. Fangraphs (the better WAR calculation) has him never going beyond 4.6 WAR in his prime--basically making him a 2.8-4.6 WAR player in his prime. Baseball Reference only has him going beyond 5.0 WAR once in his entire career. Saying that he was a 6.4+ WAR player is idiotic.

I also don't know why you are expecting a .700 OPS from him when he fell short of that in his most recent seasons when he was two years younger.

As for defense, I wouldn't expect too much there. His main asset has been his arm, which is less useful at 2B. He's been losing his range with age, so a transition from SS to 2B won't help tremendously in that respect. He'll likely be around a neutral defender, maybe a little below. His WAR is also going to drop when you factor in the drop in positional scarcity from SS to 2B.

I still don't understand where the expectation comes from that Furcal will be hitting .275 this season. I don't care much about batting average really, but Furcal his numbers over the last 2 seasons suggest that reach that number are pretty unlikely. It seems like you guys expect him to revert back to performance closer to his prime, which is pretty silly if you look at the numbers.
  17. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...erage-of-incognitomartin-broadcast-notes.html

I just found this one saying we are in negotiations with Garrett Jones and working out a deal with him. Seems that are willing to move LOMO and expect to get something decent back (que backin pulling out hair) for LOMO.
    Not sure what to believe or expect but this is turning out to be a fun off season. At least they are making an effort to improve the team and not blow up the young core.
  18. Even after pitchers adjusted to him and he adjusted back and they adjusted again and he adjusted once more?
  19. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Pitchers talk about and share notes on Ed Lucas, man.
  20. Mr. Baller

Mr. Baller Muckdog

We are not going for Napoli so its irrelevant anyways.