Change background image

Marlins trade/FA talk

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Hotcorner, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Rockies already said Cuddyer is moving to 1st though.
  2. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Boo. Eh, sometimes plans change.
  3. The Marlins signed Juan Diaz to a minor league contract. He is the best choice for starting SS in 2014 and now the best SS in the marlins system. This is a really really nice signing imo.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  4. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Baseball America still likes him... but on paper he looks like another Hechavarria...
  5. He's got a lot more pop than Hech and he grades out as a + defender. He's a big dude and I think that pop could end up actually translating pretty well in mlb. He has played in one of the least hitter friendly leagues in the minors (International League) whereas Adeiny's only decent professional year was in the most hitter friendly (PCL). I don't think he's the savior obviously and I know he won't get to start (maybe when Hech's OPS is still mid 500s mid next year the FO will see the light), but he is the best option in the marlins at SS right now and should be given a chance for the job in ST.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  6. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I think this is getting carried away. He's pretty unimpressive from I can gather.
    FutureGM and pollyvonwog like this.
  7. Don't entirely disagree. The issue is Hech is below unimpressive.
  8. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

The Marlins don't have to look very hard to find someone to hit better than Hechavarria or Diaz. The issue is that they won't even bother to try because they are going to start Hechavarria at SS next season regardless because they see "potential" in him.
  9. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Correct. It'll take two years for them to give up on him. They saw Brantly as the catcher of the future (I did, too) and they eventually recognized that may not be right. Hopefully they do the same with Hech if he under performs again.
  10. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

The Marlins clearly have much more confidence in Hechavarria than they did with Brantly.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Hopefully, if he has another sub .600 OPS season, they'll starting searching for a new answer...
  12. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Hech is going to get at least another full year to see if he can hit MLB pitching, but I think ultimately he ends up as a backup SS down the road.
  13. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I hope you're wrong, I want Hech to succeed... But I think you're right.
  14. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

How about Daniel Murphy for 2B? Mets are shopping him.
  15. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Hmm ... He's 28, a Florida native, consistent hitter ... below average defensively, but definitely not the worst.

If we don't have to give up too much, then sure!
  16. Sounds enticing but we need some real power. I want to see Dietrich at second and then fill 3B and C with some solid bats.
  17. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Agreed, I'd rather have Dietrich over Murphy.

One interesting thought is Ian Kinsler, Rangers may be shopping him... Doubt we would ever write him those checks, though.
  18. I'm also firmly in the give DD a shot camp, although I still think the doofuses start Solano on opening day.
  19. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Dietrich will start on Opening Day. The only question seems to be if that will be at third base or second base. But they're trying to work his bat into the lineup either way... Good news is Perry Hill apparently loves his glove at second, so hopefully he stays there.
  20. Yeah. I thought he played well at second too. Some on here didnt think so which I dont know why.