Change background image

Marlins trade/FA talk

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Hotcorner, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Because Baker is a sure thing. He rips lefty pitching.
  2. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Cross Napoli off your wish list, he just re-signed with the Red Sox.
  3. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

Guys...Ed Lucas is OPS'ing over .880 against LHP in both his minor league and major league career. Platoon him at 1B or do it at 3B, but Ed Lucas should DEFINITELY be starting against any and all lefty pitchers next season.

And BenderRobot, the Marlins didn't protect Mark Canha in the Rule 5 Draft, so he'll either go to another team or be stashed back into the minor league system for next season.
  4. dim

Red Sox said they're not trading prospects (and specifically mentioned Cecchini.

Plus, it would take more than Morrison to get Cecchini. The Sox would want a major league starting pitcher in return for a good prospect like Cecchini if they even were considering trading him.
  5. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Isn't this old news?
  6. dim

Lucas or Canha? I just mentioned Canha because the Marlins not protecting him shows they don't see Canha as having any real future with the team.
  7. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Hence the 'LoMo+'

Either way, they signed Napoli so there's no chance now.
  8. dim

Well the + in that scenario is more important than the LoMo. So it would be something like "Eovaldi or Henderson Alvarez+"
  9. Entendu

Entendu sXe

I didn't know that about Lucas. I really hope that that's the Marlins plan. It could definitely work out short-term.
  10. Entendu

Entendu sXe

LoMo was the topic of the discussion. I'm aware of LoMo's value.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Both. It's well known Lucas is a platoon guy.

Canha wasn't left exposed because he has no future, but simply because they knew nobody would select him.
    There goes Middlebrooks most likely.
  12. dim

And he won't be selected because no team likely views Canha as major league ready. At 25 years old in February, if you're not major league ready by now...

Not saying it can't happen, and I like Mark Canha more than most, but I don't think the Marlins view him as highly as me or Bender views him.
  13. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

You never know, it took Gaby quite some time to get to the majors.
  14. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Baseball really needs a salary cap, but the union is too strong to ever let the owners get one. The Yankees signed Carlos Beltran with the money saved from Cano signing with the Mariners. Also have gotten Ellsbury and McCann. If MLB ever got a salary cap, the Marlins and Rays would be playing in the World Series quite a bit.
  15. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Not necessarily. Teams would maybe spend more money on personnel and development, so the Marlins' and Rays' edge would be gone. You can't predict how things would turn out if you turned the entire system on its head. I like the current system. Teams have their ways of winning, and money doesn't necessarily always win.
  16. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Well, there is the soft cap of 189 mill.
  17. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

That doesn't really stop the Yankees. They have their own T.V. channel! That luxury tax is chump change to them.
  18. 97marlin

97marlin Grasshopper

the rays are the best run organization in the league. I am as big of a marlins fan as anyone, but we do not do a very good job being poor. The A's and Rays are who we should be emulating. The fact is we haven't won in a while.
  19. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

At this point we should keep LoMo, platoon Lucas at third, Salty at C and Ruggiano/Jones.
  20. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

Even worse: the fact is that we've sucked for a long time.