Change background image

Marlins trade/FA talk

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Hotcorner, Nov 13, 2013.

1. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

MLB will never let Cuban own a team, no matter how much he wants to pay. They won't let that kind of guy into the 'good old boys' network that is the MLB owners.
  2. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

Cuban will eventually own a team if he wants to.
  3. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

With all of these lefty bullpen guys signing multi year deals at the prices that they are signing, it makes me wonder what Dunn's trade value might be. I know that he is a valuable piece of our bullpen, but the reality is that we aren't going to compete for the playoffs this season, and he might bring back something of value to a position of need. Also we have Grant Dayton that is ready, and Dan Jennings whom had a decent season himself. I also believe that Edgar Olmos has a bright future in our bullpen. There's also Raudel Lazo whom I personally believe will be very good if he can stay healthy. Thoughts on Dunn's trade value?
  4. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

New owners have to be approved by the rest of the owners, and they've been pretty against him.

There are reports he was the actual high bidder for the Rangers, but MLB changed the bidding rules at the end of the game and the current owners won instead.
  5. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

That's now. Good old boys die, retire, and change. I think he will eventually own a team.
  6. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

This has been going on forever, the same thing happened 50 years ago with Bill Veeck
  7. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

Times have changed. I think he will eventually own a team.
  8. Considering how much money the Dodgers ownership is throwing around, it would be hypocritical at this point to not allow Cuban to own a team.
  9. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Believe it or not, $$$ has nothing to do with it. His attitude, outspoken-ness, etc, has every thing to do with it.
  10. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Sure they do. And they hand the reigns over to other "good ole boys" that are approved by the "good ole boys" that still own teams. It's not like they are all going to die, retire, and/or change at the same time.

I think it would be good for baseball for him to own a team. I just doubt it happens. One of those times I really hope I am wrong.
  11. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I think he would make a much better owner than half of the current owners, but at least under Bud Selig he's not getting an ownership position.
    curveball likes this.
  12. curveball

curveball Grasshopper

They only need one "face of the franchise" and I think they feel having Stanton & Fernandez will bump the payroll too high. I think we know who is more marketable in South Fla. The handwriting is on the wall only those that want to bury their heads won't see it.
  13. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I asked one of the ESPN baseball people about the Stanton thing yesterday, and he agrees with my contention that they FO is stalling until they decide to pull the trigger on a trade. It's inevitable. Why they don't just do it now is beyond me.
    curveball likes this.
  14. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

So for one year.
  15. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I can't think of any teams that might be for sale soon. I would say the Mets but for whatever reason they are still afloat.
  16. h2r09

h2r09 Hammerhead

That would be an awful way of doing business, thats why. IF we are going to eventually trade him, which in itself is a huge question mark, then it would be absolutely stupid to trade him now if they don't have an offer they feel is acceptable for a player of his caliber.

Just because they might have to trade him in the future doesnt mean you take 90 cents on the dollar just to get it over with. That would be an awful way to run a business.
  17. h2r09

h2r09 Hammerhead

Franklin Gutierrez just re-signed with the Mariners but I would have loved a player like him as our 4th outfielder. I wanted Angel Pagan last offseason and I feel he is a lesser version of him but still a player whose game would fit very well in Marlins park.

He can play all 3 defensive outfield spots incredibly well and is a passable enough hitter to get by with his defense and as a hitter off the bench with a little bit of pop and some speed i think he is a great 4th outfielder. Would have loved him for a mill or 2 for 2 years.
  18. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Except according to them they aren't taking offers on Stanton, and the calls have stopped as a result.
  19. h2r09

h2r09 Hammerhead

There is a difference between taking legit offers and seeing what someone would give to them.

Either way thats not my point. Im saying just because we will eventually have to trade Stanton doesnt mean we absolutely should just get it over with and trade him immediately.
  20. dom2613

dom2613 Hammerhead

I agree that we shouldn't just trade him to get it over with. Thing is he's going to go to arbitration and teams will know we can't afford him and have to trade him. They will low ball us. Not to mention he doesn't seem very interested in signing with us.
    curveball likes this.