Change background image

Marlins trade/FA talk

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Hotcorner, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I don't know why they would get 90 cents on the dollar right now, he's only going to get more expensive going forward, if you were another team seems like you'd want him now. He's entering his prime, he's the dream fantasy trade for every team out there from the sound of it, just a matter of whether the Marlins want to do it or not. But sure, point made.

says who?
  2. h2r09

h2r09 Hammerhead

Thats not true that he isn't interested in signing with us. You don't know that. He is going to get more expensive but any team trading for him knows they will have to pay him eventually. He is coming off a bad year so no chance we should trade him right now.
  3. curveball

curveball Grasshopper

Exactly and they completely played this to lose.....so f***ing stupid. Sign him to a contract two years ago and then trade him for the future core of the team - I don;t get it ? Its not like trading him would damage their reputation, that is shattered beyond repair already. They just acted stupid and arrogant as always, and that Prideful nature is going to cost them the potential haul they could have gotten 2 years ago.
  4. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

What's Wes Helms up to these days?
    curveball likes this.
  5. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

I didn't know where to put this, but I still think at some point we're gonna have to trade that starting pitching depth we have for hitters. I see that the Marlins have gone with a few stopgaps for next season (Jones/Furcal/McGehee), and I'm fine with that for what will probably be a 70-75 win season next year. But to succeed in 2015, which should be the ultimate goal anyway at this point, we're going to need more than just Stanton and everybody else. Long term solutions HAVE to be found at every infield spot after this upcoming season is over. By 2015, we're going to have more starting pitchers ready to join the majors than we'll have slots available.

I'm sure internally the Marlins understand that the playoffs aren't a realistic goal for next year. But our major league and minor league position player depth is pretty damn barren. Until we field a lineup that can realistically produce more than two everyday players who can OPS over .750 in a 162 game season, this team isn't going to contend.

On a minor side note, I hope I'm wrong on this, but I still despise that this front office seems like they're going to let Hechavarria start at SS for years to come.
  6. Entendu

Entendu sXe

I think we'll see something along the lines of what you're saying starting at the trade deadline. Nicolino, DeSclafani, Heaney, Conley, and Flynn is an insane amount of depth all at more-or-less the same development stage. Hopefully they can turn some of these guys into good, young hitters.

We're waiting on Moran, but we've still got holes at 1B, 2B and possibly SS if Hechevarria sucks enough next year. We need to address at leasst one of those positions in a big way by 2015.

Since Rodon is pretty much not going to drop to us, the Marlins should really look at the best college hitting prospect in the class. I know it sucks to draft to fill a need, but I think our pitching is going to be too good for us to just waste on a s***ty lineup. Needless to say, if Rodon drops to us you take him and slot him behind Fernandez in the future.
  7. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Which would then make Heaney a number three, and then 4-5 is just a mishmosh of f***ery. ... Positive f***ery.
  8. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Well, it would give us the ability to trade yet another SP. I really don't think we'll get Rodon though.

I personally want Trea Turner to have a great season so we can draft him. He's a hometown kid with elite speed and a good bat who figures to stick at SS.
  9. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

I'd be 100% for getting Turner, myself. His numbers are impressive. Doesn't he go to the same college Moran came from, too? Or am I remembering incorrectly?
  10. Entendu

Entendu sXe

No, Moran was UNC. Turner is NC State - the same college Rodon goes to.
  11. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Ohhh, my bad. Wow, so the same place could have the top two picks. Has that ever happened?
  12. dim

I still think the draft comes down to Gatewood or Turner. I'm not buying all the Alex Jackson talk right now.

Right now I'd love to grab Turner. A+++ speed, decent to above average defense at SS (with the ability to play 3B and probably 2B as well), and has the potential to add some power to his repertoire.

Gatewood is a Stanton style high school prospect. Scouting reports have him as a guy with 30+ home run a season power as a SS, but not the best contact guy (and he's likely a meh fielder and slow baserunner). The enticing thing about Gatewood is he's coming right out of high school and has potential to gain some plate discipline, build into his frame and become an even better hitter over time.

But we'll all have this conversation in June. Still got months until baseball starts back up again.
  13. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

We won't have to trade starting pitching for position players after we deal Stanton. You know we're trading him, and he could probably fill whatever needs we have.
  14. dim

Stanton's not going anywhere until NEXT offseason. And even then the Marlins will grab a couple starting pitching prospects in the deal.
  15. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

Agreed...Selig does not stomach Owners that are flashy and have their own pizazz
  16. Giancarlo Stanton

Giancarlo Stanton Grasshopper

I'd like to see us trade Giancarlo Stanton for Yasiel Puig. C'mon boys!
  17. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

I'm not sure they have real tradeable depth in SP, right now that is. I think it is very premature to trade any starter in the organization (unless some crazy overpay happens).

Fernandez and Heaney are untouchable for years.
    Eovaldi and Nicolino they seem to love a bit more than
    Alvarez and Turner, who are probably a # 4/5 starter on a playoff team and
    Flynn, Urena, Conley, DeSclafani, Koehler, and Hand are all probably relievers. Some maybe real good ones, but probably relievers. Maybe one guy here breaks through and becomes a backend starter.

I mean, great if they all work out and would love to be wrong (and if they do, bring on the riches in trade), but it's just very unlikely they have legitimate depth here to trade. Eovaldi blows out his arm (someone on this list will blow out their arm in 2014. It's just a numbers game unfortunately), Turner doesn't figure it out or Alvarez's lack of K's catch up to him, Urena doesn't develop a third plus pitch and ends up a high leverage reliever, Conley or Flynn ends up a loogy, Hand just doesn't make it, and Koehler in the pen, and poof. Thank god you didn't trade anybody so you still can fill out the rotation and don't have to sign Scott Feldman for $30 million. Let alone, what if Fernandez goes all Matt Harvey. It happens.

The depth is in all these relievers, not in the starters. They probably have two bullpens right now of guys who could crack 25 man rosters, which is pretty outstanding. Unfortunately those guys can't really be packaged for longterm hitters the Marlins need. What's Dunn getting you? Two AA versions of Dunn or a Dietrich? Not bad potential moves, but it's not like acquiring a "Yelich" or even an "Ozuna." You're getting something like Lombardozzi (whom the Tigers just got in the Fister deal) at best. That isn't getting the offense where it needs to be.

Maybe a situation develops where they trade some arms for bats, but in reality, the Marlins need to keep the best 5 starting pitchers period, and there needs to be at least 2 more years of evaluation on all of them to figure out the answer to that question. Plus, whoever ends up being the 6th best, is probably not getting you a "Yelich" and they need 2-3 guys like him easy. They really need to hold onto the SP for now. In fact, I think they need to take MORE starting pitching with the # 2 pick in the 2014 draft.

I think there is two responsible ways to fix the offense. (1) trade cishek for a longterm bat option anywhere in the infield, preferably 2B. I don't think this is unreasonable to think. (2) Loria signs a bat free agent next year that is better than Salty, probably at SS once Hecha proves he can't hit again. Throw in Moran, Marisnick, a better backup catcher/Realmuto if he works out, maybe Dietrich after a year in the minors to replace Solano/Lucas, and add a vagabond lefty killer 1B to help Jones, and now that might start looking like something if they don't blow it and trade Stanton and Yelich becomes what we hope.

They just aren't fixing the offense unless the dish Heaney, which is really out of the question. Eovaldi would have netted what Trumbo (sub 3WAR player) if those rumors were true, and Alvarez and Turner ain't getting that. MEH. Keep them, see what happens, and keep drafting to your strength.
  18. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

Seems like they could go ahead and do a Cishek deal really. I mean is he ever going to be more valuable? Trade deadline I guess?

Agreed on the pitching, let it play out for a while. I'm relieved we didn't move any pitching prospects.
  19. hovertical

hovertical Hammerhead

and on a side note in the FA market, they're reporting that Choo turned down a 7 yr $140 milllion offer from the Yankees (Boras client). Clearly he was hoping for an offer from Loria.
  20. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

not Choo, they're getting Tanaka. McGehee was on same team as him in Japan,so Tanaka will take a huge discount to have a familiar face on the team.
    Entendu likes this.