Change background image

Marlins trade/FA talk

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Hotcorner, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Wells for now without a doubt. Marisnick needs more time in the minors!
    curveball likes this.
  2. MLB.com's Chris Cotillo has the Marlins linked as a team that has inquired about Ervin Santana, although it did say their interest was low.

Tremendous waste of money? Solid one year filler in our rotation?

Thoughts anyone?
  3. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

that would be odd.... Larry whats your sources saying about that????
  4. My guess off the top of my head is that the Fish simply thought he was worth inquiring about because we don't have to give up our top 10 draft pick to sign him. They probably low balled him with an offer (if they even bothered with an offer) just to see if he'll come cheap. They probably see him as a stop gap in the rotation but obviously he'd be a guy with much more upside than journeymen type stop gaps such as Slowey, Wade LeBlanc, Nate Robertson and other filler guys we've had in the past.
  5. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

I think if the Marlins were going to spend big money on a free agent that Nelson Cruz would make way more sense than Santana would. That being said, I don't see the Marlins bringing in a big time free agent before spring training starts.
  6. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

well he def wouldn't sign a 1-year deal if that's what you meant. They're probably just kicking the tires, lots of teams interested.

If Garza just got 4/52, Santana probably gets a tick under that... 3/40 or something maybe. Although we wouldn't get hurt by the draft pick compensation much, it would be a wierd move considering all the cheap arms we have waiting to compete.
  7. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

But would also allow them to readily trade those arms for bats if they replace them (they could move Alvarez/Turner this summer when Heaney is ready). That would be great as the only way they fill out the infield, is to start trading arms. They need young bats.
  8. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I mean I like Santana just fine & our stadium might even hold down his HR numbers a bit. He's a veteran innings eater which I wouldn't hate to have mixed into the rotation, but couldn't you also just use some of that Santana money to go after a 2015 FA infielder like Lowrie, Headley, etc? You're either paying for a pricey SP or a pricey hitter either way, no?

But hey I'm not going to argue if they want to sign Santana, all aboard.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. MarlinsLou

Sure, but they can afford to do all of it and still be bottom 10 in payroll (and sign Stanton). The issue is the same one as always - Loria is to cheap.
  10. Erick

Erick Marlin

If we get Santana, I'd have some awesome seats this year so I'm all for it.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Family friend?
  12. Erick

Erick Marlin

When my brother was in Arizona playing with the Angels rookie ball team, Santana spent a couple of weeks there rehabbing. I wouldn't say they're "friends," but they did become good acquaintances. Santana is a very laid-back guy, very nice.

It's pretty crazy because there were other guys on that team who ended up in the big leagues. All the Dominican players were pretty funny and hung out with my brother a lot. My brother was one of the few on the team who spoke both English and Spanish so he would translate for them a lot.

Santana was the best of the bunch over there, but I remember Jose Arredondo (former position player turned big league reliever) was also there at the time. Nick Adenhart (R.I.P) was also there when I visited. I think he was in A-ball at the time, but they sent him back down there for rehab like Santana.
    SilverBullet1929 and floridafly like this.
  13. That's awesome. I love little stories like that. Now get your brother to call him and convince him to join the Fish for a year at minimum salary.
  14. Jokersgoon

Dope story , Erick. A rotation of ferny, turner, Alvarez, Nate, & Santana would be our best rotation since...
  15. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Fish have interest in Jeff Baker
  16. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Good. We have Lucas so I don't see it as a big deal, but it seems to indicate that they're looking at platoons. This team can be better if they employ platoons
  17. MarlinsLou

Interesting for the bench configuration

Mathis
    Bugosevic
    Dobbs
    Solano / Lucas (battle for backup MI)
    Best Bat - Everyone else

I think we all expected Solano/Lucas to both make the team, but with the Wigginton signing and now looking at Baker, they seem to be thinking otherwise. Solano has an option so they could keep Lucas up and have Hech/Lucas and in an emergency Furcal be the SS. That probably adequately gives them flexibility. Solano becomes the de facto 26th man for if any position player gets hurt besides a catcher.

Baker makes sense. Him and Lucas could come in for Garret and whomever against lefties. Gives them a fighting chance at least.
  18. Jokersgoon

so what it's either Vernon Wells or Baker -- I'll take Baker
  19. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

I want Baker too. He mashed lefty pitching and can platoon with Jones at 1B. Those guys would put up monster numbers at 1B.
  20. Backin2008, when I heard Baker's name I immedietaly thought of you.

Anyways, if this team actually figures out how to correctly platoon and sticks to it... we're definitely a stronger team.
    Backin2008 likes this.