Change background image

Marlins trade/FA talk

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Hotcorner, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Retro_Marlins

Retro_Marlins Hammerhead

Id rather have Andrew Jones then Jeff Baker.
  2. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Why? That's very random. Jones is also basically done at this point.
  3. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Jones is making a lot of money in Japan. He isn't coming back to the states.
  4. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

I remember when jones was an elite OF.. Boy how long ago was that
  5. Vince0926

Vince0926 Hammerhead

6. Entendu

Entendu sXe

I would prefer him over someone like Solano
  7. Jokersgoon

He'll be the modern day amezaga. Stayed with the fish for a couple years then returned
  8. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

110%. And the FO loves Boni.

Of course, this would make too much sense.
  9. Vannzee

Vannzee Muckdog

Per mlbtraderumors
  10. Jokersgoon

I swear we've been hearing that rumor for months.
  11. Entendu

Entendu sXe

I feel like Middlebrooks is the kind of prospect that the Marlins would trade for and entirely miss on. It's not really based on anything but a gut feeling. He did have an unusually low BABIP last year, so there's indication that he'll improve - and Steamer and Oliver have him at the 2 WAR range, so there are stats to refute what I'm saying.
  12. But with CoMo waiting in the wings, it makes no sense to give up anything of value for another young 3B with quite a few years of team control left. Sure we have a good problem in the form of pitching surplus, but I think it would be a mistake to trade those pieces now. I feel like they'd be good trade chips for a Trade Deadline impact player in 2015 if need be.
  13. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Well, he plays 1B and SS too. I'm thinking they slide him to 1B once Colin Moran comes up.
  14. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Agree, and not just about Middlebrooks. Not sure about the 2015 thing, but why trade good pieces now? It's not going to give us a playoff run or put fannies in the seats. It's more like doing a trade just because we can do a trade.
  15. Spike

Spike Hammerhead

Moran's entire career so far is 154 ABs in Greensboro. Hes far from waiting in the wings at this point.
  16. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

If they can trade pitching for young, projectionable club controlled infield hitters, you do the trade. Middlebrooks fits that description. He's not a sure thing so not sure you'd want to deal a Cishek for him (which is what Boston would likely want), but if they can get him for other stuff, pull the trigger on the minor league depth. He'd get 500 PA on the Marlins this year easy. Would let them stick Ozuna/Marisnick in the minors, let Yelich play CF for most of the year, shift Jones to a lot of LF, and Middlebrooks. would play 3B/1B and be second on the team in HR. It wouldn't be a trade just to trade. They need longterm infield bats now.
  17. For whatever its worth, Cishek would make a pretty cool Red Sock.
  18. fauowls44

fauowls44 Hammerhead

Jeff Baker agrees to a 2 year, $3.7 million deal. Looks like we may be platooning at 1st after all. A Jones/Baker platoon could be pretty productive.
  19. *delete*
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014