Change background image

Marlins trade/FA talk

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Hotcorner, Nov 13, 2013.

1. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Could be, probably will be. They keep saying it depends on how Jones does, so it looks like he will get the opportunity before they go for that option. Which, for all we know, could be by the end of ST. And no matter what some may think, the far smarter move than trading away players right now just because they could make a trade. Save that option for when it would count. Anyone that actually reads some of the things being said by the FO would know this has been their plan of attack this off season. Sign FAs and keep potential trade pieces.
  2. Got me thinking, the fish have never usually been big on going after free agents .... this has to be one of our busiest offseasons ever in terms of number of free agents right?

Five already to guaranteed contracts, four of which will be starters. Am I wrong?
  3. DcFishFan

DcFishFan Hammerhead

Declaring a moratorium on the Como nickname. A similar formula didn't work out so well for our last 1B.
  4. Entendu

Entendu sXe

The Red Sox just lost Ryan Dempster for a year, meaning they'll have an extra $13.75MM to spend. While I don't really know too much about the Red Sox pitching situation, MLBTR speculates that they'll feel like they have a shortage of pitching. They also say that it frees up money to re-sign Stephen Drew. If that's the case, then Middlebrooks might be available and the Marlins might have the pieces to get him (if they're willing to deal some MLB-ready SP)
  5. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

They still have 5 starting pitchers - Lester, Peavy, Buchholz, Lackey, and Doubront. That is pretty good even if that is across the board injury risk. What they need is a legitimate long reliever/swingman/6th SP to plop in the bullpen. Someone like Chris Capuano, etc., one of those fringe starters out there who will eat 100-120 innings in some blowouts and spot starts. If they make a big move, it'll be at the deadline.

Also the Marlins are trying to sign a 5th SP, so I doubt they trade one right now. June, all bets are off.
  6. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I don't see the motivation for the Sox to move Middlebrooks yet. He's barely gotten a chance at the MLB level.
  7. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

I don't see the Red Sox dealing Middlebrooks either. They can't pay everyone $10 million bucks in 2014.