Change background image

McGehee Signs One Year Deal

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Jokersgoon, Dec 18, 2013.

1. fanofthefish

fanofthefish The Grinch's Biggest Fan

Another turd sandwich served with a smile, thanks FO
  2. marlinsmaniac

marlinsmaniac Grasshopper

I don't understand some people. Being that this is a stepping stone year, the McGehee signing is a win-win. Why? First off, it means the marlins would rather pick up a young reclamation project who has had success in the big leagues (ala the cantu pickup which worked out great for us) than trade heaney/desclafani/nicolino for someone like Mike Olt. Second, the marlins were in a terrible bargaining position by having NO ONE to realistically man third base next year. So if they do end up trying to trade for someone, this atleast makes them look less desperate since everyone pretty much expects him to be the starter next year. Either way, who cares! Its better than polanco/velasquez/solano.

P.s. Any one who says we are only winning 5-7 more games than last year did not watch the first 1/3 of the season when we were pitching the likes of LeBlanc and Slowey, and our starting lineup included Juan Pierre/Casey Kotchman/Chris Coghlan. When Stanton forgot to show up the first month and then got injured. When Placido Polanco batted "cleanup" and was Stanton's "protection". Seriously. Stop.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  3. Vince0926

Vince0926 Hammerhead

You're the man, I wrote sort of the same earlier today in your "p.s. portion". I too don't get why everyone is so down. I'm jut asking one to compare this years lineup to last years. It is significantly better. I feel as if we are at least a 78 or so winning team and all it takes are some hot streaks and we can have 90 wins. Every year is a crap shoot so why does everyone have to bring the morale down by complaining. We are making upgrades so everyone chill. Great post though, marlinsmaniac.
  4. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Zack Cox has potential, and pitchers like to pitch to Stanton because he strikes out.
    pollyvonwog and mystikol87 like this.
  5. This stanton protection stuff is the stupidest thing in current marlins lore. Look at his stats goofballs and please stop taking about it like it's a real thing
  6. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

It's not just ordinary "protection" talk, either. The argument was that pitchers pitch around hitters in front of Stanton to get to him because he strikes out.
  7. Come on guys. Only 90 wins? We now have Garret Jones, Furcal and Casey McGhee. Stanton is now more protected than squall in a whore house. This is a 120 win team.
    mystikol87 likes this.
  8. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

The only measurable improvement to the lineup is the Salty signing and that's maybe 2-3 wins at most. Otherwise, things only get better offensively if Yelich and Stanton pick things up.
    pollyvonwog likes this.
  9. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

I had mentioned McGehee as a possible candidate for 3rd base for the Marlins like in July ...It's not that I am insightful, it's just that the F/A picture sucks. He just makes sense He is not without talent. He has decent power and is a fairly capable defender at 3rd base. I am sure he will do whatever it takes to keep from going back to Japan. He should be able to hit .265 18 Hrs and OPS at the .700-.750 level with no problem...That would be a huge improvement over anyone we had last season
  10. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

You're absolutely wrong. Garrett Jones and Ed Lucas will improve our offense at 1B over last season. Furcal and whoever else will be a wash, yes. Hechavarria CANNOT be worse than last year; the only place for him to go is up, and I expect he will. Third base will improve, even if McGehee and whoever else are mediocre. Yelich for a full year, Ozuna for a full year, and Stanton hopefully healthy.

We should literally improve at every position with the exception of second base. Just stop.
  11. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Hill and Redmond said that they expect to give Garrett Jones the bulk of the playing time at first base--not a platoon. That's not going to be much of a measurable improvement over Morrison.

It's silly to anticipate measurable improvement from Hechavarria simply because he "cannot be worse than last year." That's just idiotic logic. McGehee has a .632 OPS in his last 950 MLB plate appearances. And Ozuna should ideally begin the season in the minor leagues.

So, I repeat, Salty is the only addition they've made in the offseason that will bring measurable improvement. The lineup could fare better if Yelich and Stanton pick it up. Those are far from certain. There is legitimate reason to expect Stanton to have some DL time too.
  12. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

I like the signing. Playing in Japan forced him to communicate on a whole new level. He will be a great team leader that should be worth a few wins. Marlins just don't break .500 in 2014, they finally have the leadership to win a division.
    pollyvonwog likes this.
  13. Erick

Erick Marlin

I disagree regarding 1B.

The talent level between Morrison and Jones is probably similar, I agree. However, that's not the point. If we're just talking about improvement from last year, I think Jones improves the offense.
    Morrison had a terrible year last year and he also missed a lot of games. The games he missed, the production was even worse.

We got a .230/.309/.333 slash line from 1B last year. Even if Jones plays every day (which is a dumb idea), the 1B production should still be better in 2014. For comparison's sake, Jones is a career .254/.316/.458 hitter.
  14. Erick

Erick Marlin

As for Hechavarria, he's still the same Adeiny Hechavarria so I'm not sure why we should automatically expect improvement. If it's better, it'll probably just be slightly better.

I'm expecting the offensive improvements to come from C, 1B, LF and then I expect Stanton to be better because he's better than what he did last year.

Mcgehee is sort of a wildcard. I don't know what to expect with him. He was terrible his last two years in the big leagues but good his first two. He was good in Japan last year, although I'm not sure how that translates. Maybe something in between for him? Even if he puts up an .OPS in the low-700's (I don't think that that's unreasonable), it would still be an improvement over last year. We got a .255/.308/.320 slash line from 3B last year.

I guess the conclusion here is that, well, we were so f***ing terrible last year...
  15. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

It's not embarrassingly bad, I'll grant you. The rotation will have to carry the load again and that's a lot to ask of young (though promising) arms. It's still not a good lineup, see penguino's post above. Furcal, McGehee, Jones probably aren't starting on good teams. Hech maybe not even on a bad team. We've got Stanton who we're really just hoping will stay healthy, Yelich, and a catcher coming off a career year. There is at least the chance McGehee and Jones sort of bounce back a little.

Some of the moves seem like rearranging the deck chairs, but I am happy they've been active at least, & trying some different things. I don't want to sound like a downer because I'm not, and I love watching baseball regardless so I'll be excited for the season.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  16. Erick

Erick Marlin

Even 2B could be better.

We were so terrible last year. It was like rock bottom. I thought we had actually gotten better production from 2B, but we were horrendous there too. .234/.291/.348 from 2B last year.

It's sort of a miracle that we only lost 100.
  17. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Those career numbers for Jones are skewed when you consider that he's been properly platooned by the Pirates for the last couple of seasons. If the Marlins use them as they say they want to use him, the career splits would be considerably lower. He's also starting to get older, so if you expect him to repeat what he did in 2013, the projections are even bleaker.

I think that first base would bring a measurable upgrade if they properly platoon, but if you listen to Hill and Redmond, that's not going to happen.
  18. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

That 2B line is basically what Furcal did in 2011. Now, he had a better season in 2012, but he missed all of last year, and will now be returning at age 36.

The line you quote is close to what I expect from Furcal this season, with maybe a higher batting average. Something like .250/.300/.350.
  19. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

You understand the line that you yourself just estimated would be an improvement at second base, right?

Also, things are said before ST all the time. What they actually end up doing could be very different. I fully anticipate this team to use Lucas OFTEN against LHP, especially because the third baseman we acquired is not left-handed.
  20. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

A negligible improvement.

If the Marlins change their philosophy on platoons, I'd change my opinion. But based on what they've said publicly, there's no reason for me to expect them to do otherwise right now.