Change background image

McGehee Signs One Year Deal

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Jokersgoon, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Garrett Jones' career is my reason to believe they will do otherwise. They probably made him a few small promises they couldn't keep, such as, "Sure, you can play everyday" and "No, we won't trade you" and they want that to reflect publicly before the season starts.
  2. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

You have absolutely nothing to base that on. We can only take the words of Hill and Redmond at face value. If they realize suddenly that platooning Jones is a wise move, then the production at first base will certainly improve.
  3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

You're right, I have nothing to base it on, just me using that good ole "common sense" you keep promoting.
  4. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

If you had been able to master the "logic" side of things, you would have been able to see that's not the case.
  5. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Everything I implied is logical. It's easy to make a player promises when you know he will fail to deliver on his end of the deal. Then the Marlins can use his poor performance against LHP to justify why he's in a platoon.
  6. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

There is no reason for the Marlins to have to entice Jones with such a "deal." That's why it's just empty conjecture by your part. When it comes to projecting how the Marlins will use players, the most common sense approach is to listen to their actual statements.

This is not to say that the Marlins will never switch to a platoon. It's simply saying that you are making stuff up with no basis.
  7. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Maybe Jones had an platoon opportunity for similar money on a contender, and chose to come here for full-time ab's because that's what they promised him to sway the decision? I'm not wrong to speculate. I'm not saying I am right, but I am saying it's certainly possible. Front offices and managers say things like this all the time publicly and change their minds constantly. It's nothing new.
  8. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

It's just completely unsubstantiated nonsense. You could just as easily speculate that Jones would prefer to be platooned because it pads his stat line and inflates his value. His career numbers only look appealing because the Pirates have been using him properly over the past couple of seasons. He's a worse player if he plays everyday and you can speculate that Jones knows this.
  9. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

THAT is nonsense. EVERY player in the history of sports, any sport, wants to be in the game as much as possible. Usually I enjoy a good debate with you, but that was more ridiculous than any statement you've ever made. That's just you trying to find a way to argue with me. If you've ever played a sport before, you should know how dumb that comment is.
  10. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Players want to make as much money as possible. They are inclined to take on whatever role accomplishes that. There is a market for platoon bats.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Now you're trying to defend nonsense. Players want AB's, they want innings, they want downs, they want points, they want minutes. EVERY player in EVERY sport wants to be in the game as much as possible. They're professional athletes, they are competitors, it's in their nature. To say Jones would prefer to have less playing time in a platoon to make his numbers look better is pure bulls***.
  12. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Why would he want a bunch of PAs against lefties when he's OPSed .578 against them over his career and well under .500 against them over the last three seasons?

It's dumb to think that he needed to be enticed by a ton of playing time to sign with the Marlins after that track record against LHP.
  13. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Because he's a baseball player and he wants to get into the batters box as often as humanly possible. He probably doesn't care if it's Jennie Finch pitching, he wants to be in the box. To think otherwise is stupid, honestly, and you're not usually a stupid guy.
  14. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Jones came here because we almost certainly offered the most money, and more importantly he was going to get a starting job. I'm sure that was made clear to him before he signed, since even before that the LoMo trade rumors had begun.
  15. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

This is so silly. Jones was non-tendered and almost immediately signed with the Marlins with hardly any (if any at all) rumors of other teams being interested--let alone a contender. The idea that the Marlins need to lure him in with promises is just absurd speculation.
  16. I read somewhere that McGhee was making more than $1.1m in Japan last year and was due to make $2m this year if he stayed. Definitely seems like dude has something to prove, FWIW. Or he really hates sushi.
    mystikol87 likes this.
  17. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

Absolutely, hoping to piggyback that good season in Japan with a good year with the Marlins and get a restart on his MLB career. He'll get 1.5m here if he just does anything & stays healthy since the incentives are for plate appearances.

$50,000 each for 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 525, 550 and 575 plate appearances.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  18. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

This is from Fangraphs so shield your eyes if you don't like stat projections, but they're out there. These are the projected WAR totals by team for 2014. Just adding up the players' projected WAR values at each position, nothing fancy. Now that the team is probably about set let's see how we're ranked:

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=20

Marlins are dead last, and it's actually not very close. Lowest overall, lowest in batting and 5th lowest in pitching. Fangraphs uses Steamer's WAR projections for this comparison, there are other projection systems out there. But you don't particularly like to show up last in anything if you can help it.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  19. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

20. ...

... Sun

Actually, McGehee has said that he observed a lot of guys going to Japan, but few coming back to MLB. And that he wanted to do otherwise.

He's also said that after his first couple of years he got preoccupied with hitting HRs. Which resulted in him going into the dumper and winding up in Japan. He's said that he's figured this out and has changed his approach, which resulted in his better year in Japan. Better late than never.

I think the guy may contribute much more than is generally assumed. If he's actually going to hit instead of just trying to hit HRs, he should do well and may revive his career. In that case, he's a very good stop-gap until Moran.

As for Kobe beef, all advertising of it before 2010 was totally bogus, it couldn't be imported. At all. Period. No matter what. Since then, imports are possible, but are minimal and most $350 "Kobe" steaks are still mostly bogus since anyone in the US can call anything they want "Kobe" beef, Japanese trademark protections don't apply here. "Wagyu" beef is even worse when it comes to outright fraud in labeling in restaurants and supermarkets.

But, Bob is right. If it had been me, I would have stayed for the actual Kobe beef.