Change background image

MLB to ban home plate collisions

Discussion in 'Major League Baseball' started by squall, Dec 12, 2013.

1. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

2. Absolutely ridiculous. I understand the safety and well fare of these expensive players but I absolutely hate how this CHANGES THE GAME!

Ninth inning, tie ball game... line drive into the gap... the right fielder runs the ball down... the base runner is rounding third... right fielder unloads a missile to the catcher... there's gonna be a play at the plate??? NO! The catcher has to move out of the way and let the baserunner score to avoid a collision?????? That's the way I see this and it's horrendous.

What happened to Posey was an isolated incident. It's not like catchers are breaking legs and getting concussions every other game.
  3. Entendu

Entendu sXe

You're not thinking far enough. The ball needs to be made out of rubber and all players (except the catcher; I'll get to that) will need to wear catcher's helmets. Catchers won't exist because it's too scary.
  4. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

If the ball is thrown behind home plate before the runner touches the plate, runner is out.
  5. So a catchers defensive skills as far as tagging will become irrelevant because all they'll have to do is catch the ball? It'll be like a force out every time I imagine?
  6. Entendu

Entendu sXe

"out" is so archaic. There will be no outs because people get hurt...emotionally.
  7. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

We should all thank Scott Cousins for this.
  8. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

Buster Posey
  9. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

All 30 teams make the word series, play in one game, don't keep score, and all 30 take home a trophy. Ice cream and pizza after the game.
  10. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Ice cream and pizza are fattening. They'll give them each 2 pieces of celery and a medium bottle of water (large size bottles are banned)
  11. Schnellders

Schnellders The Sinister Scotsman

Every sport is getting watered down for safety reasons these days.
  12. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I've even heard throwing 90 mph fastaballs could be dangerous.
  13. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

Pitchers to use BP fence during the game. Balls hit into the fence are do overs.
  14. marlin2266

marlin2266 Grasshopper

So, how would this affect the Pudge play on JT Snow in 2003 playoffs?
    I was there - it was massively exciting..............
  15. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

We don't know. They probably would have held the runner.