Change background image

NBA Offseason: Free Agency, news, etc...Miami Heat only

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The_Punisher, Jun 21, 2013.

1. The_Punisher

The_Punisher The Runner

So the Miami Heat wrapped up 2013 with the best record in the NBA and won the Championship. So whats next for the big three era? Rumor has it Heat are looking at Greg Oden, Chauncey Billups, and Samuel Dalembert to name a few. Anyone heard anything....
  2. Dr Beinfest

Dr Beinfest Larry's Little Helper

I would be all over Greg Oden if he takes minimum.

Negative on Billups.

As for Dalembert, depends if we need him or not.
    1 person likes this.
  3. The_Punisher

The_Punisher The Runner

well as u can see you can NEVER have too many BIGS. Hibbert killed us. I'd feel safer with a better center, and moving Bosh to his natual PF position.
  4. MrMarlinPride

MrMarlinPride Unsung Hero

Resign Anderson, amnesty Joel Anthony, give Chalmers his $4 Mil, sign Greg Oden for a veteran minimum. Three Peat.
  5. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

So take a team with insufficient frontcourt depth and give it even less?
  6. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

What's wrong with those moves mystikol? Only one I personally disagree with is Chalmers, because first I don't think we have $4 million to give him and he'll get a MLE offer when he becomes a free agent and leave Miami.

Gotta amnesty Joel because
    A: He doesn't play
    B: He's making over $3 million the next two years for not playing
    C: Mike Miller is considered a valuable member of the team by Pat Riley

Anderson played so well that the Heat have to attempt to re-sign him. If that means not going after Oden and giving Anderson the MMLE, then so be it. However, you first offer Anderson the MLE and if he's nice enough to accept it, then you try and turn Greg Oden into your MMLE. The team at that point would be super expensive and have too many players for too few spots to play everyday, but we'd literally be 15 deep at that point.
  7. Dr Beinfest

Yeah but Anthony is kept because in the event that someone goes down, hes' there.

Chalmers can be let go of. Norris Cole is there.

Can they really give Greg Oden a "veteran" minimum? Hehehe.
  8. mystikol87

Nothing is clearly wrong with the moves themselves, but rather they aren't, as a complete offseason, a slam dunk road to a threepeat. Even if Oden signs, he is so injury prone that, absent other moves, a team very thin down low becomes even thinner in all likelihood. Especially as Wade, Allen, and Battier age, we can't afford to be so weak at PF and C, in my opinion.
  9. MrMarlinPride

We would not be weak at PF with Haslem, Bosh and even LeBron who can hold there own. It's the Center position we need help with. The thing is we really don't need to spend much money on that position because some of our best lineups on both ends involve not having a true center.
  10. mystikol87

I'm not convinced Bosh can consistently be a good post defender. We would be thin overall between those 2 positions and you know it. And we can't play small all the time against the better teams. Hibbert and Duncan destroyed the Heat. So did Noah, for that matter.
  11. MrMarlinPride

Agreed. And as much as I wish Birdman could be the answer to the problem he just can't physically play starters minutes, if he even could he'd probably foul out in 24+ minutes of play. I really hope we can get Oden and he could be some type of factor, even if it's just rebounding and a defensive presence.
  12. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

That's all Oden would be (and needs to be).

I think he got somewhere around 8 rebounds a game in 24 mpg the last time he played. If he can give us even 5 rebounds per game for 15 mpg with a few blocks sprinkled in and the occasional basket he would be the perfect signing.

We're not going to find a better center option who will be affordable for us than Oden. Sometimes you have to take risks, and the worst case scenario is Oden goes down with an injury and wastes a roster spot. Best case scenario is he provides the size we need and matches up perfectly with Birdman.

I honestly believe that Oden's still got a lot left in the tank. He's got nowhere near the potential that he had when he first entered the league because of the knee injuries, but he's only 25 years old. For comparison's sakes, Norris Cole is barely a year younger than Oden. He'd be a huge steal at the price we'd be able to sign him for.
    1 person likes this.
  13. MrMarlinPride

100% agree.
    And if he doesn't pan out we're left with a combo which won us a championship last season but obviously hoping for the best with him and his recovery of over a year now.
  14. mystikol87

They are obviously still the favorites if the resign Birdman, add Oden, and exercise Chalmers' option. But I would still expect Indiana and Chicago to make things really hard on the Heat unless the Heat adds another big body. You really can't count on Oden for anything -- he hasn't played a game in THREE years. I'd love to have him at a reasonable price, but you're playing a dangerous game if you count on him for depth.
  15. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

There are rumors about Bynum joining Miami.
  16. MarlinKidd101

MarlinKidd101 Don't Read This.

17. Piazza31

Piazza31 Pr*ck

... How would Bynum join Miami? That is intriguing a bit
  18. Dr Beinfest

Can we get Oden and Byum and have them combine knees?
  19. yokofox33

yokofox33 lol desu

The Heat have the luxury of resting role guys and older guys during the regular season since they are most likely coasting through the regular season with the #1 seed. They could sign Oden and play him sparingly/cautiously during the season to keep him fresh for the postseason. Mike Miller didn't play much this season, but seemed fresh and capable during the playoffs.
  20. mystikol87

No doubt. But, it's Greg Oden, so it's still a risky approach. I'm not saying they are bound to fail if that's what they do, but it's also not a slam-dunk if that's what they do.